topic: 1791Download problems with Norton anti-virus
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Jul 2012 18:08

docproto48

Lafayette - Indiana USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I cannot get the 205 update past my Norton.  If I leave it on it deletes it before I can download it, if I turn it off it downlads but is deleated as soon as I turn Norton back on the message from symatec says the program isn't safe and isn't registered

suggestions?

posted: 4 Jul 2012 18:58

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

docproto48 wrote:
I cannot get the 205 update past my Norton.

suggestions?
Hi,

I can only suggest that you don't use Norton. Other anti-virus programs are available. :)

I have just downloaded it to check, and scanned it again with my NOD32 anti-virus, which is entirely happy. NOD32 updated itself an hour ago and does so several times every day and is very strict -- but it doesn't delete anything without asking me first. The computer belongs to me, not my anti-virus program.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Jul 2012 19:12

polybear

Hi Martin,

I just tried downloading the latest Templot version and Norton also blocked and deleted it; the following info was available:
Updated: February 15, 2012 3:15:47 PMType: OtherRisk Impact: HighSystems Affected: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 BehaviorWS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

However, there is an "OPTIONS" key which, when selected, allows the user to override Norton and restore the file, which may then be installed without further problems.

HTH

Brian

posted: 4 Jul 2012 19:27

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I would endorse Martin's comment about not using Norton.  That program, along with many of the other big name AV programs, seems to think that the purpose of owning a computer is to run AV software.  No, it's to run my programs!

Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials.  It's free for a start, and works quietly in the background without slowing the computer.  Quite why anyone would pay for AV software when MSE is free, doesn't slow your computer and is very effective is beyond me.  On the rare occasion that it finds something it doesn't quite know what to do with, it asks a very simple question.

Do it...

posted: 4 Jul 2012 20:18

Martin Wynne

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that.

This is a trick to get me to pay a hefty registration/white-listing fee, after which the very same file will magically become 100% safe. Notice that they don't say that they have actually found anything wrong with it.

The same trick is tried by some US-based ISPs, who won't let your emails to their customers through their spam filters until you have paid them a fee.

Nothing doing. :)

Seriously I think you should consider changing to a reputable anti-virus provider.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Jul 2012 20:38

JFS

United Kingdom

I had no issues - even though I use McAffee. I admit that I ditched Norton as a complete con about 8 years ago.

Regards,

Howard.

posted: 4 Jul 2012 23:08

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin,
My AVAST AV software flags up Templot as being potentially harmful when downloaded. It wants to run it in the Sandbox which doesn't allow the program to communicate very well. After a couple of goes ( AVAST ) gives up and lets you get on with Templotting properly.:)
Rob

posted: 5 Jul 2012 11:09

shawg

Stockton On Tees - United Kingdom

martin.
just downloaded update on my desktop computer running windows 7 32bit and avg antivirus. same problem tells me its not a popular program and can be dangerous. however managed to install on laptop runnin windows 7 64bit and avg no problem

posted: 5 Jul 2012 11:51

Martin Wynne

I have added this note to the download page:

You may see a security warning like this:

2_050643_080000000.png2_050643_080000000.png

You can safely ignore this. Click the Run button. Templot2 is safe to run and will not harm your computer.

Martin.

posted: 5 Jul 2012 15:41

dkjosness

Longmont, Colorado - USA

I have been Norton/Symantec free for several years now.  What a chore it was to remove all its tentacles from my system!  Now that I'm running VIPRE, my system feels twice as fast and it's never had an infection.  VIPRE has never made so much as a peep about Templot.

-- dpk

docproto48 wrote:
I cannot get the 205 update past my Norton.  If I leave it on it deletes it before I can download it, if I turn it off it downlads but is deleated as soon as I turn Norton back on the message from symatec says the program isn't safe and isn't registered

suggestions?

posted: 5 Jul 2012 17:56

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

I had not heard of E-Set's NOD32 or VIPRE before! Does anyone else have experience of them, please?

John

posted: 5 Jul 2012 19:59

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

I have tried both Mcaffee and Norton and had nothing but trouble from either, they're more like a virus than some viruses. the only way I could get rid of them was to format the hard drive I now use AVG on my XP PC and laptop although my new computer windoz 7 uses Webroot which is free without problems, so I will probably switch to that across the board when my subscription runs out.

Cheers Phil
Last edited on 5 Jul 2012 20:00 by Phil O
posted: 6 Jul 2012 14:59

David Higgs

Bletchley - United Kingdom

I've been able to download Templot 2 upgrades in the past however Notons is blocking the latest release with the following :-
WS.Reputation.1

posted: 6 Jul 2012 15:02

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi David

See this thread :)

posted: 6 Jul 2012 15:08

David Higgs

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your reply; I'll take a look.

posted: 6 Jul 2012 15:14

David Higgs

Disabled Nortons, all downloaded ok!

Regards

David

posted: 6 Jul 2012 22:42

Martin Wynne

Glen Suckling wrote:
Norton is deleting the file!
Hi Glen,

Disable Norton. The computer belongs to you, not Norton. You decide what gets deleted.

Martin.

posted: 6 Jul 2012 23:46

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi all.
I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security for several years and find it very reliable.
It queried templot to begin with but always let me load it, but now it just accepts it as a valid program.
Tony W.

posted: 7 Jul 2012 00:06

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Thanks Martin,

I unloaded Norton and then ran the original link - it worked fine.

Any suggestions on an alternative to Norton? I have used Norton for years without any problems. I do not know why it suddenly went crazy.

Glen

posted: 7 Jul 2012 00:27

Martin Wynne

Glen Suckling wrote:
Any suggestions on an alternative to Norton?
Hi Glen,

You will get a dozen different answers to that because no one is likely to have tried them all, or even more than 2 or 3.

You will find general agreement not to touch Norton though, as it is so invasive.

For a free anti-virus program, I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials.

For a paid-for anti-virus I have used ESET NOD32 for several years and found it very effective with minimal impact on system performance. Another well-regarded one is Kaspersky.

I'm glad you got Templot loaded. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Jul 2012 00:28

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

I have had a similar problem to others when downloading Templot upgrades using Norton Internet Security. There are several workarounds.
  1. Disable Norton Anti Virus for the duration of the download and installation
  2. Read WS.Reputation.1 bypass info for a more permanent solution.
  3. Use a different Anti-virus program.
  4. Martin could submit the file to Symantec for whitelisting but that would inevitably slow down the upgrade process.
It's a PITA but having initially used solution 1, I have now implemented solution 2 for a long-term fix although it does potentially slightly increase my computer's vulnerability.

HTH, Dave

posted: 7 Jul 2012 00:35

Les G

docproto48 wrote:

suggestions?
I have just resolved this by taking the file out of quarantine, Martin's Templot being trusted by me.

I had to change the setting to allow the risk. it has now downloaded and happily installed; Norton then came up with a safe message as was the norm for previous downloads.

I am going to complain to Norton about this new spurious warning process whereby the program is behaving a bit too precipitously in a way which is unacceptable. I employ Norton to give a warning about risks, but like Martin, I decide what is to be on my PC.

LesG

posted: 7 Jul 2012 14:00

acoake

Morpeth - United Kingdom

Hi,

This is the first time I have put a message on this board, so please forgive any mistakes. I have just downloaded the latest (205d) and had the same problem with Norton. However, when it gave me the message that it had deleted it, it also had a link for 'more detail'. I clicked on this and it gave me the detail as to why it was deleted. It also had a link for 'Options'. On clicking on this, it gave the option to restore it. I clicked on this and after assuring Norton I did want it back, it then restored and I could complete the download successfully.

Hope this helps.

Allen Oakes

posted: 7 Jul 2012 14:14

Dave Summers

acoake wrote:
I have just downloaded the latest (205d) and had the same problem with Norton. However, when it gave me the message that it had deleted it, it also had a link for 'more detail'. I clicked on this and it gave me the detail as to why it was deleted. It also had a link for 'Options'. On clicking on this, it gave the option to restore it. I clicked on this and after assuring Norton I did want it back, it then restored and I could complete the download successfully.

Hope this helps.

Allen Oakes
This seems to be the best workaround. See my post at Norton Fix. Others have suggested the same fix too.

posted: 8 Jul 2012 17:34

Martin Wynne

acoake wrote:
It also had a link for 'Options'. On clicking on this, it gave the option to restore it. I clicked on this and after assuring Norton I did want it back, it then restored and I could complete the download successfully.
Hi Allen,

Many thanks. Here are some screenshots of that if anyone is unsure:

1. click the link for Options:

2_081230_380000000.png2_081230_380000000.png

2. Then click Restore:

2_081231_460000000.png2_081231_460000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Jul 2012 19:22

Jerry

Mansfield, Notts - United Kingdom

Just to add to the general dislike of Norton, some years ago (about 9) there was a warning to users of possibly the most used graphics, page layout and document editing software not to use it as installations and updates could be a problem. That compnay's products could hardly be described, even then, as unknown.

I have always avoided Norton products ever since.

Jerry

posted: 8 Jul 2012 20:37

Dave Summers

Jerry wrote:
Just to add to the general dislike of Norton
To be fair, most of the comments have related to problems with Norton AV being too aggressive, NOT a general dislike. I have used Norton's products for 20 years since the days of Norton Desktop and in spite of the occasional niggle such as we are currently experiencing with NAV, have 'kept the faith'. That doesn't make me right and you wrong - it just makes us different based on our experiences with the products.

Dave

posted: 21 Jul 2012 12:14

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
You may see a security warning like this:

2_050643_080000000.png2_050643_080000000.png

You can safely ignore this. Click the Run button. Templot2 is safe to run and will not harm your computer.

In Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 you may see something like this:

2_210706_140000000.png2_210706_140000000.png

Click the More info link. You should then see something like this:

2_210706_140000001.png2_210706_140000001.png

Click the Run anyway button.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Download problems with Norton anti-virus
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020