topic: 1795Saving templates
author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Jan 2012 18:42

sm

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Now I've finally got the hang of making slips, I've save a couple but every time I try and reload them either from the box file or on Templot start up; I end up with the component parts of the slip rather than the whole thing which I thought I'd saved as a complete template?
Is this an ongoing development or user error
Rgds,
StuartM

posted: 20 Jan 2012 19:05

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Stuart

A slip or any other formation is made up from a number of discrete templates - what you are seeing is correct.  To use a set of templates saved in a separate box file in another design you can "add library" from the Storage Box, then store them to the background of the new design.  To move them around, you'll need to group them then use the group functions to peg the group onto the notch.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction!

Cheers

posted: 20 Jan 2012 20:01

sm

United Kingdom

Thanks Paul,
I did make the components a "group" and then saved them into a named file as asked when closing Templot down, however when starting up again the group had dispersed into separate parts.
Rgds,
StuartM

posted: 20 Jan 2012 20:43

Paul Boyd

Unfortunately Templot doesn't remember groups when it saves the box file - it would be nice if it did, including the "remembered groups", but Martin has enough on his plate :?

You're on the right track, sort of.  Maybe a better way, once you've saved your slip as a separate box file, would be to start your new design, then instead of "add library", choose "reload...". You are then given various options - choose "add new templates to existing".  Browse to your saved slip box file and reload it, whereupon the slip will appear on the background in its entirety, but in the wrong place!  Whilst still in the storage box, click on "show box list" and your slip templates will be listed at the end (this is where meaningful name labels help).  For each slip template in turn, click "select (toggle)" - this is probably easier than doing it on the background.  Note - as you're doing this, the template colour on the background doesn't change - it redraws when you close the storage box.

You now have your slip as a group, so you might want Templot to remember that group (for this session only) by 'group' => 'remember this group' => 'as group a' (or b, c,etc)  This allows you to recall the grouped templates at any time, but please remember that these remembered groups are not saved in the box file :(.  In practise, this means it's easiest to "reload" the slip when you're ready to place it in it's final position in one session.

These notes refer to TDV, by the way, but I think this aspect will also apply to 0.91c.

Hope this helps.

posted: 20 Jan 2012 21:17

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

sm wrote:
I did make the components a "group" and then saved them into a named file as asked when closing Templot down, however when starting up again the group had dispersed into separate parts.
Hi Stuart,

For some discussion of this, see:

message 7775

Before adding the file to a new track plan, select the option on the storage box to create a new group:

2_201542_070000000.png2_201542_070000000.png

You can then use the linked notch functions to align the group with your existing tracks. For some video showing this, see:

message 7778

The existing marker colour, group, save group, and add functions are sufficient in most practical cases, and allow easy editing of individual partial templates within the group if needed. See the discussion in the first link above. 

The reason there is no function to combine templates into one, is that when you get well into Templot you find that there is little real need for it. I've been using Templot for 30 years, and if there had been a pressing need for this I would have implemented it, despite the obvious editing difficulties.

In practice it is not often that you want to re-use such formations exactly. Even if the crossing angles are the same, the curving radius through the formation may differ. Even if the radius is the same, you may have done some timber shoving to fit to the site and adjacent templates.

For a slip it is much better to leave adding the slip roads until the track design is complete, working only with diamonds at the design stage. This gives you the maximum flexibility to change things around, and in TDV it is now even easier to work with diamond-crossings.

The same applies with tandem turnouts -- it's rare to need two exactly the same. The curving radius will almost always vary, even if the handing, switch stagger and crossing angles are the same.

Having said all that, it is on my list of things to do. One day. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jan 2012 22:43

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
Just select the group and set a unique marker colour for it. Then when you want to recreate the group, group > group select > select by marker colour... menu item.
Why is it I always forget about that function?  I've seen it mentioned several times, each time I thought "That's handy - must remember it" but it seems not to stick :(

...and what's happened to Templot Club emails - they seem to have stopped after 8pm!

posted: 24 Jan 2012 20:41

sm

United Kingdom

I've found that if I create a slip and add some track to the entry/exit roads that templot will save it and reload it the next session "do you want to reload previous session".
However if I save a design and then at a later date try and open that design from the tdv box file in programs, an older version of templot opens with half the functionality and the design is all over the place. Is there a way of loading the design from the tdv ?
Rgds,
Stuart

posted: 24 Jan 2012 21:17

Martin Wynne

Hi Stuart,

TDV is a development version so the installer does not register any file associations. This means you cannot start TDV by clicking on its files.

If you have an older full version of Templot installed, Windows will start that version when a .box or .bgs file is clicked.

Instead, start TDV normally and then click the reload button:

2_111359_500000000.png2_111359_500000000.png

Then select the file you wish to reload.

Alternatively you can click the recent files button to select from a list of your recent TDV files.

The situation will change when the full version of Templot2 is released.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Jan 2012 22:14

sm

United Kingdom

Thanks Martin
Rgds,
Stuart

posted: 26 Jan 2012 18:41

sm

United Kingdom

is there a way to place the peg in a position of my choosing rather than the options in GEOMETRY, PEG POSITIONS or am I missing the correct option.
I want to place a peg a few sleepers closer to the FP from the DP
Rgds,
Stuart

posted: 26 Jan 2012 20:17

Paul Boyd

Hi Stuart

An easy one - press Ctrl-F8 to move the peg along the MS centre line. (from the menus, this is 'action' => 'mouse actions:control/geometry' => 'move peg')

Cheers

posted: 26 Jan 2012 20:48

sm

United Kingdom

Brilliant, thanks Paul, peg moved
Cheers,

posted: 7 Feb 2012 23:52

keith whittle

Taunton - United Kingdom

I have just found your message and as a newcomer to Templot I have had the same sort of problems.  However the program is still being developed and we all hope that Martin will get it sorted, he is obviously far better with a computer than me. I have used a fair amount of ink and paper trying it out but results look promising. Although we have never met I hope you take this the way it was meant.

Keith Whittle (S4 4430)

posted: 7 Feb 2012 23:58

Martin Wynne

keith whittle wrote:
as a newcomer to Templot I have had the same sort of problems.
Hi Keith,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

What specific problems are you having?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Feb 2012 14:01

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Stuart,

TDV is a development version so the installer does not register any file associations. This means you cannot start TDV by clicking on its files.

If you have an older full version of Templot installed, Windows will start that version when a .box or .bgs file is clicked.

regards,

Martin.
I meant to respond to this earlier, but hope it may still be of some interest...
I have no problem opening .box files directly by double-clicking on them in a folder list, and they open in TDV, even though they were originally created with Templot 91c and that program version is still on my computer.
All you have to do is tell Windows that .box files should automatically open with TDV rather than Templot91c or whatever.  Do that via Control Panel (Programs>DefaultPrograms in Win7; similar in earlier Windows, I expect) - select .box suffix from the list and then browse to find the TDV .exe file and set that as the default for .box files.
Now when you double-click the .box filename TDV opens - you still have to say NO to "restore previous work" (if that was a different file) and then YES to the filename you double-clicked.
This works wherever the .box files are stored on your main drive.
Martin's suggestion works just as well of course; I guess it just depends on how individuals prefer to open files in general. 
Regards,
Stuart

posted: 14 Feb 2012 21:16

keith whittle

Taunton - United Kingdom

Ok thanks still getting to terms with TEMPLOT will work it eventually! Keith Whittle.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020