Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1804Help with a space issue on my plan.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Jan 2012 02:23

Katier

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Folks,

I've been adjusting my track plan for Emmyton and after a bit of a lightbulb moment adjusted the crossovers but for some reason I didn't seem to gain the space I expected.

The old arrangement is below, I figured id I swapped the crossovers I might gain space.. but I didn't.. (we are talking about the blue section NOT the pink)

post-11540-0-47354900-1313016155_thumb.jpgpost-11540-0-47354900-1313016155_thumb.jpg

I know why now, the facing crossover has shunted across one points worth so while platform 1 (the top) has gained, the bottom sidings haven't changed at all...

But I'm sure we can adjust the pointwork to gain a few inches which I'd like to do for a couple of reasons.

1) Currently the two carriage/parcels sidings can't quite store 4 coaches but another couple of inches they can.
2) I have the space :P

The platform capacities are as follows :-

Platform 1 - 5 coaches ( 6 short bogey stock ) can run around without any back-up moves and using the nearest/logical crossover. Can probably squeeze 7 in for an outbound train.
Platform 2 - 5 coaches outbound, 4 incoming
Platform 3 - 3 coaches.

I guess the simplest option is a double slip.. but not sure if my track building skills are up to that!!!.. are there simpler options..

If we're talking something complex ( like a DS ) I really would appreciate someone helping me out as I've tried a DS in the past and never really been happy I got it right, despite following the tutorials.

I've attached the latest box file.. Note I need to shift the release crossover about 2-3 inches so I can shorten the station roads slightly as I overshot and not happy with the room for the passengers to get round the buffers between platforms 1 and 2/3.

Attachment: attach_1330_1804_emmyton_12_01_23_0107_32.box 353

posted: 23 Jan 2012 12:03

mike47j

I would have thought a sissors crossover would be an option, but I don't know if its easier to build in 3mm than a double slip.

Or use both, but perhaps that's going too far.

Mike

posted: 23 Jan 2012 12:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Katier,

If you revert to your original design you can make the access to the sidings as a tandem turnout. This will gain you quite a bit of space in the sidings and platform 3. A tandem turnout is easier to build than a double slip, and in any event your crossing angles are too short for a double slip.

Does it have to be double-track? When space is tight most modellers settle on a single-track design. In the space you have available I think it would be quite difficult to have trains arriving and departing simultaneously. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Jan 2012 13:21

Katier

Thanks both,

I have attached the previous BOX file. Not sure how to make a tandem point (either in reality or in Templot) so some help would be appreciated. Doing it this way does limit the length of Platform 1, but I guess what I lose in P1, I gain in P2?

I am thinking normal trains would be 2-5 coaches and only excursions would be longer, so having to squeeze the longer 6/7 coaches in would be rare.

Also need to add the catch point to this plan ( although don't know how).
Attachment: attach_1331_1804_emmyton_12_01_23_1305_13.box 306

posted: 23 Jan 2012 13:26

Katier

Oops missed a bit - regarding the double track.

This is intended to be a town similar to scarborough with the addition of a port which resides at a lower level to the station due to topography. As such a short, tight, branchline connects the port with the goods facilities, which reside below the level of the passenger lines. The Branch being represented by the 'passing loop' in the pink goods lines. If I had the room ( oh for another 8 feet!!!) the goods facilities would climb up to connect to the mainline.

As such - single track 'feels' wrong?

posted: 2 Feb 2012 21:35

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Katier wrote:
Thanks both,

I have attached the previous BOX file. Not sure how to make a tandem point (either in reality or in Templot) so some help would be appreciated. Doing it this way does limit the length of Platform 1, but I guess what I lose in P1, I gain in P2?

I am thinking normal trains would be 2-5 coaches and only excursions would be longer, so having to squeeze the longer 6/7 coaches in would be rare.

Also need to add the catch point to this plan ( although don't know how).
Hi Katier.
Thought I had better go back to the original thread. Attached is my latest attempt at the tandem turnouts for your layout. I have also adjusted the Turnout at the top left that had a rather stange geometry, so I hope you haven't built it yet. I have also added the catch / trap points where they are needed. I have done some timber shoving around the tandems but will leave you to do the others. Hope this does what you wanted. If you step through the templates in the storage box you may get a better idea of how you build up partial templates in layers.
Best wishes Tony.
Attachment: attach_1344_1804_emmyton_12_02_02_2127_19.box 357

posted: 3 Feb 2012 01:30

Katier

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much, your a star. As for timber shoving.. I literally don't have a clue about that so just go with the flow.. which probably makes my trackwork rubbish but don't know any better :(.

The 3 ways look fantastic just the job, gonna print them out later :)

What was odd about the top left point? (and no it wasn't built - and in fact what I have made for the top is being replaced).

posted: 3 Feb 2012 03:04

Katier

As you can see the lower 3-way has done the trick perfectly. Plenty of room now and 3 trucks (probably 4 at a push) can easily be shunted into the coal drops.

6809915175_ee3cd69c2c_b.jpg6809915175_ee3cd69c2c_b.jpg

posted: 3 Feb 2012 16:08

Tony W

Katier wrote:
Hi Tony,

What was odd about the top left point? (and no it wasn't built - and in fact what I have made for the top is being replaced).
Hi Katier.
The turnout I was refering to toward the top left of the plan, the diverging road had a rather strange reverse curve in it which I have managed to  cure by changing the switch and crossing angle without changing the overall length very much. It just looks better. If you wish to try timber shoving for the control template hit Shift + F10, select the timber you want to change by placing the mouse pointer over the timber number so it turns green and left click. The selected timber turns red, then you can see what the different options do. Previously shoved timbers are shown in blue.
Tony.

posted: 3 Feb 2012 17:56

Katier

Thanks Tony,

The question about timber shoving is mainly why when and where :)

posted: 4 Feb 2012 13:50

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

My thoughts would be:-
Why - to support the rail and its chairs and to keep the rails the correct distance apart.
So, for example, you cannot move the sleeper which is located under the crossing nose which must be supported there , although you can rotate the sleeper to a different angle, which you might need to do for a crossover where the sleepers have been extended to cross both tracks.

Why would you extend a sleeper across both tracks at a crossover? One answer might be because if you butt up two short sleepers a chair would be sitting on the joint.

You also need to support the chairs for parts of the points such as check rails, so you need sleepers along the middle and at each end of the check rail. etc.
You also do not want the end of your point blade floating in space over a gap where it could get damaged, so the blade ends over a sleeper and the tie bar fits between the first two sleepers after the tip of the point blade.

From reading the Rorum I have learnt that all the railways were different up to nationalisation (and probably kept to old practices thereafter) so if possible look at pictures of the line you are modelling to see how they laid out their sleepers.

Tony corrected my plan for Kingsmere. He said that where possible the sleepers were interlaced with only the critical ones being extended across two tracks (presumably to reduce cost and to use standard parts?) so if you compare the sleepering round the station throat in my original plan and after Tony has tweaked it you will see the improvements he has made.
I hope that is of some help.
Arthur

posted: 4 Feb 2012 21:06

Tony W

Katier wrote:
Thanks Tony,

The question about timber shoving is mainly why when and where :)
Hi Katier.
Not an easy question to answer as there are so many variations. This topic has been touched on in several other forum enquiries. With a single turnout / point, the standard practice for more recent times has been to put an extra full length timber after the crossing vee joint and then interleave the ends of the ordinary sleepers until the tracks diverge sufficiently for this not to matter any more. However earlier practice was to begin interleaving ordinary sleepers as soon as the special crossing chairs ended with varations in between. I guess from your earlier reply you have a method of getting round the timbering problem when you build it and if that works for you then that is all that matters.
Tony.

posted: 4 Feb 2012 22:13

Katier

[user=2151]I guess from your earlier reply you have a method of getting round the timbering problem when you build it and if that works for you then that is all that matters.

Yeah.. I guess it could be summarised by 'botch it and hope nobody notices'.. AKA not really knowing any better.

Thanks both, very enlightening. I'm happy to figure the conflicts as I build the points, but at least now I know what is more or less prototypical.

posted: 4 Feb 2012 22:31

Nigel Brown

The real engineers in practice had to fiddle around to get things to fit, so following that is prototypical practice!

I notice there's a timber intruding on the tie-bar area of your turnout 65. Whether this actually matters depends on how you're doing your tie-bars. I'd be inclined to extend the timbers on either side of the tie-bar so that they serve the adjacent track as well, and use long timbers, suitably angled where necessary, between there and the 3-way.

Nigel

posted: 4 Feb 2012 23:05

Katier

Nice spot nigel.. took me a while to find the timber but I see what you mean now. Then respective angles don't help!!!

Had a fiddle with the timbers and also tweaked the 3 sidings to reduce the 'S' onto the coal drops.

Can you take a look see please and tell me if they look good to you?

How much of that formation would you make in one go, looks like the triple, crossover and first siding point need assembling together.
Attachment: attach_1346_1804_emmyton_12_02_04_2302_21.box 306

posted: 4 Feb 2012 23:27

Nigel Brown

I'd be inclined to try to get rid of the single sleeper in the V (between the siding point and the 3-way). You've got four timbers there which if you steadily alter their angles would fill the gap. Not saying the single timber is wrong.

Think the triple, crossover and siding point would go together nicely in one go.

posted: 4 Feb 2012 23:39

allanferguson

Fife - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
The real engineers in practice had to fiddle around to get things to fit, so following that is prototypical practice!
Nigel
I  think  it  was  originally  somewhere  in  this  forum  that  I  picked  up  the  following  apposite  comment,  reputedly  by   Cyril  Freezer  in  2000,  writing  about  Percy  Keen  on  the  90th  anniversary  of  the  MRC.......
"One of his tales, very apposite in view of Alan Blackburn's recent talk, related how, before WWI, a friend had a problem with crossing timbers on a piece of complex trackwork. They were due to ride on the LNWR inspection train, and there duly put the problem before the district engineer. He admitted he had no idea which alternative configuration was correct, but added that they were shortly to be joined by the division's most experienced ganger. Since the LNWR with some justification boasted the best permanent way in the world, he would know the answer. The ganger duly boarded the train, was introduced all round and then informed that these gentlemen had a problem for him. He studied the drawing for some time, removing his bowler hat and scratching his head. At length he came up with the answer "Well sir, when we gets a problem like this, we fudges it!" "

Allan  F

posted: 5 Feb 2012 00:02

Tony W

Katier wrote:
Nice spot nigel.. took me a while to find the timber but I see what you mean now. Then respective angles don't help!!!

Had a fiddle with the timbers and also tweaked the 3 sidings to reduce the 'S' onto the coal drops.

Can you take a look see please and tell me if they look good to you?

How much of that formation would you make in one go, looks like the triple, crossover and first siding point need assembling together.
Hi Katier. Just had a quick look at your file. You now have two options for that area. The timbering as I had done it would not be a problem in that prototypical situation, but as Nigel points out, if you are using a sleeper type operating tye bar then it could be a problem. The changes you have made would work as it is only in sidings at not on the main line. One of the things you have to guard against is too long a length of unsupported rail and you look to be getting close to the limit where you change back to ordinary timbers after the last extended timber. It is always better to have more sleepers closer together than not enough in these situations. As you say, as the angles increase it becomes more problematic and sometimes wider 14" timbers are used if the chairs are at too much of an angle and the fixing holes would otherwise be too close to the edge of the timber.
As for the construction, it would certainly be better to assemble the formation as one block to ensure accuracy of alignment, but this does not mean that it has to be one physical unit. With a little planning it is quite possible to put the rail breaks in such that it can removed in several pieces even if this means that the last solder joint or two is made after it has been laid where opposing sections share a common timber. Also when I build threeway turnouts I make the two crossings closest to each other one unit electrically and make the third crossing a separate unit. I have marked the breaks in red in the picture, the other crossing vee break is beyond the end of the check rail and not visible in this picture. To see it full size go to the image gallery and view it.
Tony.2151_041859_260000000.jpg2151_041859_260000000.jpg
Last edited on posted: 5 Feb 2012 00:37 by Tony W
5 Feb 2012 00:37

Katier

Thanks Tony,

Currently I have been using sleeper tie-rods although I am debating ordering some purpose made ones from 3SMR to try them out.

the 3 way will be a challenge either way, first piece of complex pointwork I'll have made.. unless cross-overs count!!

posted: 5 Feb 2012 12:43

Tony W

Hi Katier.
If you can build an ordinary turnout you can build a tandem as it is essentially made up of the same units, you just have an extra common crossing to cope with. A few tips. I work from the crossing end of the turnout toward the switch end and from the centre outwards. I put the vees in first. Tack solder the nose and the point and splice rails at the outer ends. Check alignment with a steel rule. Adjust if required and solder in. Then the wing rails. Tack solder the wing rail in a couple of places and check the alignment and flangeway gap, adjust if necessary, only when happy with it solder the rest of the joints.The only really tricky bit is forming the wing rail for the second crossing so that the nose of the vee for the third crossing is correctly aligned, and filing the end of the wing rail to allow clearance for the flangeway. Next I fit the stock rails, then the switch blades and finally the remaining check rails.
Remember, practice makes perfect. Don't be afraid to reject anything that is not good enough and have another go.
Tony.

posted: 5 Feb 2012 14:26

Katier

Hehe I'm with you on the 'practice' side - you can definitely tell the difference between my early points and my later ones.

Mmm wonder if there's any 'mileage' in dismantling old points and re-using the rail.. nothing like being 'green'

posted: 5 Feb 2012 16:24

Tony W

Katier wrote:
Mmm wonder if there's any 'mileage' in dismantling old points and re-using the rail.. nothing like being 'green'
You certainly wouldn't be the first to do so although cleaning off any excess solder can be a bit of a pain, but it can be less work than making new.
Tony.
Last edited on 5 Feb 2012 16:25 by Tony W
posted: 6 Feb 2012 15:02

Katier

Thanks Tony, part way through building this monster!!!

dismantled 4 early points I had made and some spare rail and sleeper I had.. this thing is a resource monster!!!

Should look great when it's finished though :)

Templot Club > Forums > Tips and tutorials > Help with a space issue on my plan.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020