Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1808How do I print out on a continuous roll of paper my whole layout.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Jan 2012 19:25

Dr G Alan Gee

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Is there a very easy way of taking a disk with my data on it to a commercial printer and getting the whole layout printed out.My layout size is 12ft x 2 ft. What about calibration of the commercial printer.

posted: 26 Jan 2012 20:13

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Alan

You'll need to expore the PDF output options.  You don't say whether you're using 0.91c or TDV, but with the latter, from the 'output' menu, choose 'export a file (PDF...'.  I haven't played with the PDF export that much but I think the resulting dialogue box is self-explanatory.  For a 12ft by 2ft layout, set 'long side' to 3658mm, 'short side' to 610mm and select 'end run pages' then click on 'create PDF'

As far as calibration goes, I think that really all you can ask the printer to do as to print to actual size.  Hopefully their large format printers will be calibrated independently.

I'm not sure that this question is in the right forum, but I'm sure Martin will sort it if it isn't :D

Hope this helps

Cheers

posted: 27 Jan 2012 09:15

Dr G Alan Gee

United Kingdom

Thanks Paul,
I am using version 0.91c I think. I do not seem to have A OUTPUT menu ,where is it.

Alan

posted: 27 Jan 2012 11:44

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
As far as calibration goes, I think that really all you can ask the printer to do is to print to actual size. Hopefully their large format printers will be calibrated independently.
Hi Paul, Alan,

There isn't a calibration function for the PDF output, as the file may be printed on different printers at different times. Also, for printing at a commercial print shop it's difficult and expensive to make lots of test and proof prints.

However, if you know the amount of error, you can enlarge or reduce the output accordingly and create a fresh PDF file, at output > enlarge/reduce size for print and PDF > set any %... menu item.

It's very difficult to measure a long roll printout with great accuracy, so measure the grid lines over a shorter length, say about 500mm.

That output size setting changes both the width and length.

To change the length and width independently, if you are feeling brave you may like to experiment with the data distortions. These are legacy functions from the early days of Templot -- I haven't looked at them for years, and I imagine few others have done so. If you make any settings you must reload your .box file afterwards. Also the grid is not distorted, so if you want that printed correctly you would have to adjust the grid spacings accordingly and ignore the grid labels. Click main > program panel menu item, then program > expert > data distortions > menu items. The help notes are about 15 years old, so bear that in mind when reading them.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 12:14

Dr G Alan Gee

United Kingdom

Thanks Martin,
However were do I find the output command on version 91c

posted: 27 Jan 2012 12:29

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Dr G Alan Gee wrote:
Thanks Martin,
However were do I find the output command on version 91c
edited for Templot2:

Hi Alan,

If you want to create PDF output using Templot's internal PDF engine you need to download and use Templot2 instead of 091c:

http://templot.com/downloads/download.htm

The print menu has been renamed the output menu in Templot2.

To create PDF output from 091c you would need to install a PDF virtual printer on your computer.

Generally I now suggest that everyone moves to Templot2 unless you have some reason, such as internet problems, to remain with the earlier versions.

All the existing functions work exactly as before, so you have nothing to lose. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 12:56

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Alan, Paul and Martin.

Having just done this today I thought I should throw in my twopenn'orth.

The printing firm I use does a lot of architectural drawing reproductions,
so need to keep their equipment up-to-date and in good order.

They have a real preference for PDF as it has less issues with re-sizing during
the transfer from computer to printing. This is one of the reasons I was happy to
update to the TDV version, as the printers were not sure if they could handle dfx files.

The four 500mm x 4550mm sheets I had printed today are as good as near perfect
dimensionally. The first thing I checked as the first sheet came off was the gauge
of the track, done with a vernier calliper.

It was spot on. As were the grid divisions.

The plotter option which they offered me is more accurate across a large area,
but at $440 Australian dollars to print two 1000mm x 4550mm pages, it would
want to be.

So I think you will be fine as far as accuracy goes Alan.

Regards, Matt.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > How do I print out on a continuous roll of paper my whole layout.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020