topic: 1812-bolt slide chairs
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Sep 2007 02:18

mattots

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Is there a readily available source of 4mm slide chairs suitable for GWR pointwork? I'm using mainly C&L components but though they do 2-bolt running rail chairs they only seem to do 3-bolt slide chairs. Exactoscale don't seem to do them either or am I missing something?
Matt

posted: 2 Oct 2007 03:35

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Matt,
Is there a readily available source of 4mm slide chairs suitable for GWR pointwork?
I don't know the answer to that, sorry. But now that Phil has provided a close-up top view of a GWR slide chair ( http://85a.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?id=64 ) you may be able modify available chairs. The most characteristic feature is the semicircular end on many GWR chairs. You may be able to round off the inside end of square-ended slide chairs and file off the screw heads.
they only seem to do 3-bolt slide chairs
Note that only GWR plain track sleepers have through chair bolts (inserted from below). Switches and crossings and all rails on crossing timbers are constructed using chair screws (inserted from above), as you can see in Phil's pictures. Screw heads tend to be a little less prominent than the bolt ends and nuts.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Oct 2007 04:03

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi all

The reason that there are chair screws and not thru' bolt's is that we have recently replaced the timbers under them and getting bolt's and plates to fit is almost impossible so the chairs have been reamed slightley to accept standard chair scres and a nylon washer in lieu of a ferrulle

Cheers Phil

Note that only GWR plain track sleepers have through chair bolts (inserted from below). Switches and crossings and all rails on crossing timbers are constructed using chair screws (inserted from above), as you can see in Phil's pictures. Screw heads tend to be a little less prominent than the bolt ends and nuts.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Oct 2007 02:47

Phil O

Hi Matt

I have searched hi & lo for 4mm 2 bolt slide chairs and I have not been able to find any or any other GW special chairs although Brian of C & L fame has thought about producing a slab & bracket. This is what led to me starting the special chair thread in another section of the forum as I have thought about using the brass lost wax castings as a starting point.

I hope this help.

Cheers Phil

posted: 3 Oct 2007 02:55

mattots

United Kingdom

Phil O wrote:
...I have thought about using the brass lost wax castings as a starting point.
Hi Phil,

Tell me more...

Actually, I am very surprised C&L or Exactoscale don't make a GWR pattern slide chair considering they do GWR running rail chairs. I'm sure if there is a market for one then it follows there would be a market for the other!

Matt

posted: 3 Oct 2007 04:10

Phil O

mattots wrote:
Phil O wrote:
...I have thought about using the brass lost wax castings as a starting point.
Hi Phil,

Tell me more...

Actually, I am very surprised C&L or Exactoscale don't make a GWR pattern slide chair considering they do GWR running rail chairs. I'm sure if there is a market for one then it follows there would be a market for the other!

Matt

Hi Matt

I am looking to cut off the side of the chair with the key
flush with the rail seat and the round it off around the chair bolt and solder it to the stock rail then fill any remaining holes with solder. I have yet to try it. Plan 'B' is to cut and file a baseplate of the right thickness brass and solder that to the foot of stock rail and then use a part chair to make the shoulder, drilling the base plate to take bits of wire to represent the chair screws all a bit heath-robinson but I have yet to come up with any other solutions pending an off the shelf chair.

Cheers Phil

posted: 16 Oct 2007 02:52

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Oops! Apologies for the delay in replying, but I have 2400 unread emails in my pile. Take your eyes off them for a few days and...........

In fact, the GWR Slab & Bracket Chair is available ex stock from C+L in both 4mm and 7mm.

Regards

Brian Lewis

Carrs -- C+L Finescale.

posted: 16 Oct 2007 02:56

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:
In fact, the GWR Slab & Bracket Chair is available ex stock from C+L in both 4mm and 7mm.

er Brian,

The question was about switch slide chairs!

"Slab and bracket" chairs are used under nose of crossings in later GWR designs. Earlier designs used a cast "A" chair.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > 2-bolt slide chairs
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020