topic: 1814GWR Maidenhead Goods Yard - Comments Please
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Jan 2012 19:48

Jerry

Mansfield, Notts - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
It has taken me several false starts to set this out over a scanned OS 1:2500 map of the station and goods yard.
A box file is attached and I am hoping for comments.
You can see it is not complete; at this GW station few trains stopped on the main line tracks, but the relief was fairly busy with trains to and from Paddington, (24 miles) and Reading (~12 miles), both passenger and goods, many of which stopped. The goods yard had its own shunting loco stabled at Reading, which was kept busy and will hopefully provide some challenges in operation.
I have not paid any attention to sleepering yet.
It looks right but I am sure there must be better ways in many areas.

Jerry
Attachment: attach_1338_1814_Maidenhead_Selection_2012_01_29_1910.box 282

posted: 29 Jan 2012 20:02

Jerry

And here is the relevant section of the OS map showing how the layout was sqeezed between pre-existing slopes above the Thames floodplain to the west of Brunel's sounding arch.

Jerry
Attachment: attach_1339_1814_Mhd.png 267

posted: 29 Jan 2012 23:24

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Jerry.
That looks fairly ambitious. The secret of nice flowing formations is to put in lengths of plain track over the map and then insert turnouts into it. With the TDV you can add diamonds where two lengths of plain track cross over one another by making one length of plain track the control template, place the mouse pointer over the other length of plain track left or right click the mouse. Select P peg / align tools > D make diamond-crossing at intersection. It really does do all the hard work for you.
Tony.
Last edited on 30 Jan 2012 12:25 by Tony W
posted: 30 Jan 2012 07:32

Jerry

Thanks for the advice Tony.
You obviously saw how I struggled to get it to look something like the plan. I don't regard my work as complete yet and will go around again and use your method.
When I was a lad, collecting numbers I never realised the extent of the yard, even though our school, which was just to the South, arranged almost annual trips around.
Oh that I had paid more attention 50 years ago!
Thanks again Tony
:thumb:

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > GWR Maidenhead Goods Yard - Comments Please
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020