author remove search highlighting

posted: 10 Feb 2012 09:15

Mike Waldron

Tewkesbury - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Good Morning all:

I have been working on 3-way interlaced turnouts - both with mixed and similar point types - B8 / B6 as well as B6 /B6 each way.

my question is: once you have produced the exact track formation what you want, and found that you also need the other-handed version, is there a way to group the whole formation and just flip it in mirror image?

Do I have to go through the whole building process all over again?

Mike

posted: 10 Feb 2012 09:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Mike Waldron wrote:
my question is: once you have produced the exact track formation what you want, and found that you also need the other-handed version, is there a way to group the whole formation and just flip it in mirror image?
Hi Mike,

1. Select them as a group.

2. group > duplicate group if you want to keep the originals.

3. put the notch somewhere sensible.*

4. group > mirror group on X at notch

or group > mirror group on Y at notch

Read the notes which come up.

5. shift the group to wherever you want it, or group > save group...

:)

*Somewhere under or near the group. If you leave the notch on the grid origin, the templates will be mirrored into the negative quadrants, and you may need to zoom out a long way to find them.

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2012 09:52

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Morning Mike,

You can select all the templates using the "fence" tool which is the box at the top of the active area screen, just under the y of "Geometry". It work like a crop tool, but be aware if the templates you are fencing are part of a plan it may grab additional templates. Once you have the desired templates fenced you can mirror them as a group in the Y plane, as well as save them as a group too of course.

Hope this helps.

Ian

posted: 10 Feb 2012 10:40

Mike Waldron

Many thanks Guys
Bingo!

All worked fine.

What a way to (moderately painlessly) produce your interlaced turnouts!!

Danger of Repetitive Strain Syndrome with introducing and moving mammoth numbers of bonus timbers / resizing and positioning others, but at least I won't have to do it all again the other way round!

Thanks again.
Mike

posted: 10 Feb 2012 10:53

Martin Wynne

Mike Waldron wrote:
Danger of Repetitive Strain Syndrome with introducing and moving mammoth numbers of bonus timbers / resizing and positioning others
Hi Mike,

Templot mouse actions work better as click-move-click, you don't have to hold the button down while positioning the timbers.

Likewise for all the other mouse actions.

Also you can do the work on the keyboard numeric pad. 5 to click, then press or hold down the other numbers to move the mouse in eight directions. 5 again. ESC to clear.

That's a much more restful way of working, but put the mouse well out of the way on your desk so that you don't inadvertently knock it.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2012 13:49

Mike Waldron

Thanks Martin.

It took me a while to realise that I could set the final position a bonus timber could occupy (as near as ****it) whilst specifying the size, rather than to 'click' its way from the origin over to the place it was needed!!

As a TurboCAD user for my etched kits (LB&SCR) I have had to unlearn a great deal and learn a good deal more!
But it's been worth it!

Mike

posted: 10 Feb 2012 13:51

Mike Waldron

n a very different theme - were 3-way points used on mainlines generally? or were they reserved for space saving around sidings and MPDs?

Mike

posted: 10 Feb 2012 14:11

Martin Wynne

Mike Waldron wrote:
rather than to 'click' its way from the origin over to the place it was needed!!
Hi Mike,

You mean clicking the forward button repeatedly?

Instead of that, use the along mouse action to move it with the mouse to where you want it.

The buttons can then be used for precise positioning.

Alternatively, you can "click" the button repeatedly by holding down the F key until the timber is where you want it.

Which version of Templot are you using?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2012 14:43

Ian Allen

Mike Waldron wrote:
n a very different theme - were 3-way points used on mainlines generally? or were they reserved for space saving around sidings and MPDs?

Mike

Three way points were not normally found on main running lines, however, they would be used on through stations where there was no high speed running and branch lines. There is always a prototype for everything.

Ian

posted: 10 Feb 2012 15:40

Mike Waldron

Martin:
to go back to the original question:
yes it was a matter of originally clicking the forward button over and over again - but then entering the position in the re-size box got it almost spot on with practice!

Thanks Ian for views on 3-way points.

Mike

posted: 10 Feb 2012 15:41

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

Mike Waldron wrote:

Mike

Three-way (or three throw) turnouts were never found on main running lines (yards only) but tandem turnouts were quite common on main lines.

Alan
Last edited on 10 Feb 2012 15:42 by Alan Turner
posted: 10 Feb 2012 15:53

Ian Allen

Apologies, Alan is correct, I should have said tandem turnouts. Incorrect use of terminology on my part. I will now take myself aside for a good thrashing !

Ian

posted: 10 Feb 2012 16:03

Martin Wynne

Mike Waldron wrote:
were 3-way points used on mainlines generally? or were they reserved for space saving around sidings and MPDs?
Hi Mike,

It's confusing to refer simply to "3-way" turnouts.

"Three-throw" turnouts, where the switch blades are coincident like this:

2_280950_180000000.jpg2_280950_180000000.jpg
(larger version in the Image Gallery)

were never used in running lines. They are found only in yards and sidings.

"Tandem" turnouts, where the two switches are staggered, are quite common in running lines, like this one in the down main at Crewkerne: 

message 3292

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2012 16:25

Mike Waldron

Hi Martin
I was meaning tandem offset ones - like the S4 and EM gauge associations send out with their templates - with the switches staggered.

Mike

posted: 10 Feb 2012 16:46

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

A useful tip when clicking templates to select a group where there are numerous partial templates superimposed and it is getting difficult to tell if you have got them all, is to open the storage box and in the storage box window go "Group > Wipe group from backgnd". This will leave any unselected templates visible and hide the selected ones allowing the remainder to be easily selected. The group can be made visible again by opening the storage box and choosing "Group > Copy group to background".
The group function is incredibly useful and can be used in many different way and save much time and effort. Apart from the obvious uses such as copying slips and making scissors crossovers, it can be used for such things as with a fan of turnouts once the timbering has been sorted (shoved) for the first one, make it a group, duplicate it and then place it over the next in the fan, then remove the template underneath from the workpad. Timbering done. Select the first two turnouts as a group and repeat the process and one then has four turnouts with the timbering altered.
Tony.
Last edited on 10 Feb 2012 21:54 by Tony W
posted: 10 Feb 2012 17:17

Nigel Brown

Here's a couple of shots of a tandem turnout on the main at Liskeard:-

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1163111

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/814578

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 10 Feb 2012 19:50

Ian Allen

At least the example from Nigel is a trailing tandem. Worthy of note is the catch point contained within the point at the right hand side. And if I'm not mistaken...Class 46 approaching !

Ian

posted: 10 Feb 2012 21:49

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Ian Allen wrote:
At least the example from Nigel is a trailing tandem. Worthy of note is the catch point contained within the point at the right hand side. And if I'm not mistaken...Class 46 approaching !

Ian
Hi Ian. Class 45 or 46, not possible to tell at that distance. As for the Catch point, there would undoubtedly have been another one in the Stock rail of other turnout road but it is hidden by the building.
Tony.
Last edited on 10 Feb 2012 21:57 by Tony W

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Flipping track!
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020