topic: 1831Daniel Kinnear Clark's "Railway Machinery" 1855 - free download
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Feb 2012 17:39

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I was looking for some photos of wagon turntables and came across a link to Daniel Kinnear Clark's  book "Railway Machinery" published in 1855. A full scanned copy can be found for free on Google Books . The link below points to the plates section which have been scanned seperately. There is a North British turnout drawings around page 133.  If you click on the i for information link on the top right of the page, you can then download the book as a .pdf and then copy individual pages into CAD, or just scale and print.  There are also lots of loco, coach and wagon dwgs, etc.

http://books.google.com/ebooks/reader?id=Y4xMAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&pg=GBS.PT209
Thought this might be of interest to other members of the group.
I assume that the text is elsewhere, but I have not yet had time to find this.
Arthur

posted: 15 Feb 2012 21:26

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

LSWRArt wrote:
  If you click on the i for information link on the top right of the page, you can then download the book as a .pdf and then copy individual pages into CAD, or just scale and print. 

Hi Arthur,

First, thank you for the link to a very interesting volume.

Now regarding the text of the book, if you sign in and log in, then select the book, all the text is there, all 342 pages of it.

However, what I don’t understand is, in your statement copied above is, if you left click on the i at the top left of the document, you only get a screen telling you about the book as in i = information.
But if you right click on the i, then you get a typical windows screen in which you can select various options.
The only option in this screen is to convert the page to pdf, however, when you do this only that page is displayed in Acrobat, and the problem is also included on the display is the right click screen, which covers some of the text or diagram.

Now I could not find anything on the Google book screen, when the page was displayed as an HTML doc, that would allow you to download or save the document in any form.

Can you please advise me as to exactly what you did to get the book downloaded as a pdf copy ?
(preferably all the book not just single pages).

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 15 Feb 2012 21:41

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Arthur,

As a PS to my above message, try this link:

http://books.google.com/ebooks/reader?id=kpgOAAAAYAAJ&as_brr=5&ei=dh08T_f0FpCCzASry-AD&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&pg=GBS.PT209

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 15 Feb 2012 21:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Brian,

The PDF download is on this page ("Read on your device") -- scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://books.google.co.uk/ebooks?id=kpgOAAAAYAAJ&output=acs_help

The actual PDF download link is:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/download/Railway_machinery.pdf?id=kpgOAAAAYAAJ&output=pdf

Keep reloading until you get a readable captcha -- they are awful.

For the Plates, the PDF download is on this page -- scroll to the bottom:

http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=Y4xMAAAAYAAJ&output=acs_help

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2012 00:39

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the help and advice regarding the downloading of the Google books, it is very much appreciated.

I have now downloaded both the Vol 1, which is the text, and Vol 2 which contains all the associated plates (diagrams).

There’s a lot of useful information in these books regarding very early railways, although some of the pages are a little wonky, and badly copied, but it’s free and as stated just above, the data is excellent.

Thanks again Martin (& Arthur), that’s a first class job.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Daniel Kinnear Clark's "Railway Machinery" 1855 - free download
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020