author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 Oct 2007 17:13

Brian Tulley

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin/all,

I have a computer at work that is linked to a Printer which uses a paper roll about 3 to 4 feet wide (so no sticking bits of A4 together!).  However, the computer doesn't have Templot installed (and the men in black wouldn't let me load it up anyway).

My question is this:  Could I save a Templot track file at home then bring it to work to print out? (the computer at work has a CD reader; emailing a file to work wouldn't work because emails with attachments don't get past the Firewall). Thanks.

p.s. I'm a Templot newbie so please write any answers in small words!

Brian.

posted: 2 Oct 2007 17:30

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Brian Tulley wrote:
My question is this:  Could I save a Templot track file at home then bring it to work to print out? (the computer at work has a CD reader; emailing a file to work wouldn't work because emails with attachments don't get past the Firewall). Thanks.

Hi Brian,

The answer is a small word:  dxf  :)

If you have a wide-format printer at work you almost certainly have a CAD program of some sort driving it, and all such programs can read DXF files.

Templot can export your track plan as a DXF file. Take to work. Print. Simple? :)

More information: http://www.templot.com/martweb/gs_dxf.htm

Read all the Help notes on the DXF dialog. Be sure to set it for 2D output if you are only wanting to print it. The file will be very significantly smaller.

n.b. make a note of whether you are exporting in mm or inches. You will need this information when you open the file at work. If you are not sure which you need, take two files, one of each.

(If for some reason your work computer can't open DXF files, a second option is to create a PDF file from Templot using one of the free PDF-generator virtual printer programs.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Oct 2007 19:24

Tim Morrow

Melbourne - Australia

Brian Tulley wrote:
Hi Martin/all,

I have a computer at work that is linked to a Printer which uses a paper roll about 3 to 4 feet wide (so no sticking bits of A4 together!).  However, the computer doesn't have Templot installed (and the men in black wouldn't let me load it up anyway).

Brian.
Hello Brian,

I print to a large format printer, and it is most important that you have that printer driver loaded on your computer, so you can change the page size, for example - if it is a small layout, say 3 x 4 metre, then the page size needs to be set as large as possible, say 3 metre wide by the length of the layout (or some other dimension) otherwise you will print out onto A4 sized sections.

regards

Tim Morrow

posted: 2 Oct 2007 22:11

Brian Tulley

United Kingdom

Hi Martin & Tim,

Many thanks for the advice.

To print dxf files on the plotter at work I've been given some software called "View 7" which is now loaded on my computer and ready to go; a colleague uses this same software when he wants to print CAD drawings.

As for paper size etc. an initial look reveals loads of paper size options (I've spotted A0); someone who uses the Plotter frequently believes length should not be an issue (it uses paper roll) though he's never had cause to print anything that long! For me I'll be more than happy with A0, if only to make handling the printed template manageable!

Best Regards,

Brian Tulley

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Can I Print?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020