author remove search highlighting

posted: 5 Mar 2012 20:24

Jerry

Mansfield, Notts - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This message is directed towards Martin,
I updated my version of Templot over the weekend 3rd - 4th March.

Yesterday I apparently saved my template files when I finished Saturday and Sunday. (save all templates - as I had done with the previous updates).

I thought it rather strange to see the following information panel after restoring previous work -

"The file which you just reloaded contained one or more templates from an earlier version of Templot.

These have been modified to make them compatible with this version, but some features may now be drawn differently or require adjustment.

The earliest loaded template was from version  0.97
This version of Templot is  0.98

Please refer to the Templot web site at  http://www.templot.com  for information about the differences between these two versions."

On reloading this evening (Monday) it reappeared and the track diagram has reverted to the same state as on Saturday. ( I think it may have done the same did the same yesterday).

Looking at my box files it seems that the latest saved file is 'maidenhead_2012_03_03_2101_44.box'
I have made a point of checking that the current date and time were shown in the Save all templates as ... maidenhead_2012_03_05_2016_29.box but no joy, the 2012_03_03_2101_44 still remains the latest version. The file date stamp has the same date.

Is this my mistake?

Kind regards

Jerry :(

posted: 5 Mar 2012 20:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jerry wrote:
I thought it rather strange to see the following information panel -

"The file which you just reloaded contained one or more templates from an earlier version of Templot.
Hi Jerry,

You will get this message every time I bump the version number. It went from 097 to 098 for the latest TDV update. When Templot detects that the file it has loaded was from an earlier version, it displays this message as a warning. In fact there are no differences in the template data between 097 and 098, so you can ignore it. If there had been any differences I would have made sure to put a note about it in the changes log.

after restoring previous work
When you use the restore previous function, Templot reloads its own saved file. Any .box files which you yourself have saved are ignored for this function, so the date and time on them is irrelevant.

On reloading this evening (Monday) it reappeared and the track diagram has reverted to the same state as on Saturday. ( I think it may have done the same did the same yesterday).
You haven't by any chance installed Templot somewhere under C:\Program Files\ ?

Or in any other folder owned by Windows?

Templot won't work if you do that. Please see the installation notes at:

topic 1500

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Mar 2012 08:04

Jerry

Hi Martin,

I perhaps did not explain myself clearly.
Firstly I understand that the bumping of the version number will cause that message to appear. But I would not have expected that after I had loaded the box file, let's call it vA and then saved it when it becomes vB, with the upgraded filoes incorporated. When I restarted Templot I would expect it would reload vB and the message not appear.
Secondly I have not actually 'reloaded' any files, I am 'restoring' my previous work as Templot starts. The word 'reloaded' comes from the information message.
Thirdly my Templot TDV is in C:\TEMPLOT_DEV, and always has been, I followed your instructions to the letter when I originally acquired Templot from you. The .box etc files are all in there.

It seems that in my installation at least the 'save as'  function is not working.

There is no later version in there since that of Saturday when I updated the program. Even repeating the 'save as' several times this morning no version with today's date is found in the BOX-FILES directory. My system clock is working correctly so the date which should be appended in the save as string is offered correctly in the 'save as' dialog.

Nothing gets saved. I have not changed my session ending sequence which I have employed in the past. Saturday's files are still intact.

Even if a new project is started with a few templates on it and then I try to save it there are no new files in C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES, the last is still Saturday's.

Where does Templot save its BOX files in this version?

At the moment I cannot see any other option to try.

Are there any other suggestions?

Jerry :shock: :? :(

posted: 6 Mar 2012 08:27

Jerry

Hi Martin,

I should have attached this file to my last message.
You will see that the time/date stamp on the most recently saved file has not changed since Saturday.
maidenhead_2012_03_03_2101_44.box   03/03/2012 21:01   ---A----

Regards

Jerry
Attachment: attach_1380_1864_FileFilters.rtf 368

posted: 6 Mar 2012 10:43

Martin Wynne

Hi Jerry,

I'm puzzled. :?  There were no changes to the files in this update and it's all working fine here. If it worked before it should work now. Anyone else seeing a similar problem?

The only relevant difference I can think of in this update is that I reverted the program icon to a yellow hard-hat symbol instead of the temporary red one. This may possibly mean, although it shouldn't, that you now have two shortcut icons on the desktop, one red and one yellow. If so please ignore the red one and use only the yellow one to launch Templot.

By default Templot saves its files at:

where_you_installed_templot\BOX-FILES\

So the usual answer when folks can't find their files is that they are unknowingly running the wrong version from a different location.

When you start Templot you should now be seeing:

2_060525_090000000.png2_060525_090000000.png

If you click the recent files button you should see the last file which you saved at the top of the list, and where Templot saved it:

2_060526_320000000.png2_060526_320000000.png

However, if Templot can't save its files it may not have been able to save this list.

Secondly I have not actually 'reloaded' any files, I am 'restoring' my previous work as Templot starts.
Please note that when you do this, Templot does not load any files which you saved. It loads its own file which it saved for the purpose when you quit the previous session. All its files are in C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\ What are the latest timestamps on the .ebk files in there?

This may be a permissions issue on that folder, but I don't understand why it would have changed.

Which version of Windows are you using?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Mar 2012 14:03

Jerry

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comments. But...

I see the usual start screen Build 5403, yellow hard-hat.
Selecting recent files shows only the same Saturday session end file.

I am running Windows 7 32 bit.

The attachment lists the files in the top-level C:TEMPLOT_DEV folder.

Like you I do not see any reason for the permissions on the. folders to have changed.

I wonder whether to move the complete TEMPLOT_DEV installation to another disk, away from the cluthches of MS. I have a choice of about 5 others on this machine.
I have never tried moving Templot before, I presume I can do a clean install on say D: as D:TEMPLOT_DEV and then copy in the old .box files and .shapes files.

Could you please confirm whether this is OK.?

Best regards

Jerry

Attachment: attach_1381_1864_FileFilters.rtf 386

posted: 6 Mar 2012 14:21

Martin Wynne

Jerry wrote:
I wonder whether to move the complete TEMPLOT_DEV installation

I presume I can do a clean install on say D: as D:TEMPLOT_DEV and then copy in the old .box files and .shapes files.
Hi Jerry,

Yes, that was going to be my next suggestion. :)

It would be wise to download again in case the downloaded file was corrupted in some way (although I can't imagine how).

There is no need to uninstall what you have now.

Templot isn't really a Windows program. You can install Templot as often as you wish and in as many different locations as you wish. You can even keep it on a USB memory stick and run it on any computer to hand (assuming it has an internet connection).

The only reason Templot has a conventional installer at all is to establish file associations for those who like to launch software by clicking on their files. And even that is temporarily turned off in TDV.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Mar 2012 14:33

Jerry

Hi again Martin,

I have checked all the file and folder permissions on my C:\ drive but could find nothing amiss.

On the principle of nothing ventured nothing gained I used the download I made on last Saturday to make a clean install onto the C:\ root directory and after launching Templot  reloaded the most recent working BOX file into this installation and the accompanying SHAPE file, and did a save onto the D:\Templot installation.

I can now see all the BOX and SHAPE files and folders with today's date stamp.

As you know sometimes it is necessary to start again, I will keep the previous installation intact until I am sure they are no longer needed.

Thank you for all your advice and commentary. One day I may find out why the save did not happen.

Best wishes and thanks for your help

Jerry :thumb:

Templot Club > Forums > Development doings - archive > TDV - Templot 2 - Latest Update Build 5403
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020