topic: 1942Building track in S7
author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Apr 2012 16:01

mfsyoung

Bexleyheath - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have just joined the Scaleseven Group and have received all their track and wheel standards etc.
For gauge widening I see that they say "maximum gauge widening is required at 5 1/2 chains radius, ie 8ft 4in radius in 7mm".
Most of my turnouts are B6.  Do I need to have gauge widening on these as they are below the required radius?
regards
Michael.

posted: 27 Apr 2012 20:41

mfsyoung

I think I have found the answer to my question in the ScaleFour digest......
To quote....

Use of gauge widening
Gauge widening should not be applied to any sections of pointwork where CG, CF or BC dimensions are specified.
Where applied to non-pointwork curves, prototype gauge widening at 10 chains radius is 0.25in, at 7 chains radius is 0.5in, and at 51⁄2 chains radius is 0.75in maximum. In P4, where BBmax is less than the 4mm scale equivalent, and where adequate sideplay can usually be given to inner axles, gauge widening should not be necessary unless using long-wheelbase stock around sharp curves.
Where required, check rails should be set from the outer rail of a curve, using a CG gauge (in the same manner as the CG gauge is used in turnout construction), and gauge widening should be applied only to the inner running rail if wheelsets are still found to be binding.

Michael.

posted: 27 Apr 2012 21:08

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

mfsyoung wrote:
Gauge widening should not be applied to any sections of pointwork where CG, CF or BC dimensions are specified.
Hi Michael,

I don't know what that means. :?

I think you should follow the prototype and gauge-widen through turnouts according to the radius in the same way as for plain track.

The important thing to note when gauge-widening through pointwork is that the check rail gap increases by the same amount, so that the check gauge from the opposite rail remains correct. The prototype makes special wider check rail chairs for this purpose.

This all happens automatically if you use the 3-point gauge tool to set the running rails, and the check gauge tool to set the check rails, in the intended manner.

Don't use the crossing-flangeway gauge shim to set the check rails -- that way lies disaster.

You can't have gauge-widening where wing and check rails merge, as in complex formations such as tandem turnouts. But these are seldom sharply curved. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Apr 2012 21:54

mfsyoung

Hi Martin,

That was exactly what I thought and have always done using a 3-point gauge.

Having not constructed turnouts to P4 or S7 standards I wasn't sure, hence the question.

I think the ScaleFour digest has a lot more information than ScaleSeven; both profess to follow the prototype so the information should be as valid.

Thanks for your reply

Michael.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Building track in S7
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020