author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 May 2012 15:28

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides

Hi Martin,

First apologies for disturbing you on such a beautiful afternoon, which I hope you are relaxing (or should be).

However, if I can cast your mind back to our discussions regarding pixels and resolution, during the early day’s of sketchboard and the graphics, see link below, about half way down the page.

topic 1224

And also first image below.

The reason for this memory recall is, because I have a very poor quality low resolution (also very small size) track plan of a prototype site, that I would like to enhance and enlarge to a more manageable size and scale.
This track plan has been taken from screen shots and pieced together, but is only at 72 dpi resolution, and as stated is quite small in size.  See second image below.

I was wondering if, the algorithm’s, mentioned below, that you used to modify the sketchboard images might be of help.

Lanczos3            Triangle                Mitchell                Bspline                 Bell

If so, where can I get these algorithm’s so that I can experiment with them ?

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

1853_271020_290000000.png1853_271020_290000000.png

1853_271021_340000000.png1853_271021_340000000.png

posted: 27 May 2012 23:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Brian Nicholls wrote: 
where can I get these algorithms so that I can experiment with them ?
Hi Brian,

Unfortunately you have missed the boat with the old-maps site. :(

Until recently it was possible to zoom in and display the original scans for screen capture. This option has now been removed, presumably to encourage you to pay £16 for their PDF files. There has been some discussion about this on the OS maps Yahoo group. You would probably do better to order a photocopy of the map from a reference library or the Warwickshire county archives.

The full-size 25" OS maps are about the smallest that can reasonably be used as a guide in Templot. The reduced version which you have captured there is not going to be much help for detailed track planning.

The various resampling algorithms such as Lanczos3, Triangle, Mitchell, Bspline, Bell, etc. are usually available in a graphics editor program. For example they can be selected under the Resize/Resample function in the excellent free IrfanView program.

However, the differences between them are hardly noticeable for our purposes. The big difference is between using any of them, and a simple pixel shrink/stretch.

But you don't need a separate program because the two options are available on the sketchboard, renamed for Templot as design quality (fast -- simple pixel shrink/stretch), and display quality (slow -- Lanczos3 resampling). More about using these options at:

topic 1928

I tried adding your image (original size from the Image Gallery) to the sketchboard. I set the image width for 4mm scale to 12500mm, which was a quick guess. It's somewhere near, as this overlaid B6 crossover shows for the track centres. These are the views back on the trackpad for each quality option:

design quality:
2_271730_110000001.png2_271730_110000001.png

display quality:
2_271730_110000000.png2_271730_110000000.png

As you can see, neither is going to be much use for detailed track planning, although you can get the general alignments. No algorithm can put back detail which has been removed. The latter is marginally better, but very much slower to zoom and pan when working over it.

These images are sketchboard bitmap items, not background picture shapes. The background picture shapes function uses a simple pixel stretch only.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 May 2012 02:42

Pierre

Canberra - Australia

quote: "Unfortunately you have missed the boat with the old-maps site"

Yes, I too miss the old old-maps website.

However, if you are modelling the lines north of the border The National Library of Scotland has a their 25" maps available online (free) for a number of time periods, ie: 1880, 1890 and later.

Best regards,

Pierre

posted: 28 May 2012 15:54

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your detailed response, which is very much appreciated. :thumb:

You have indeed, understood my dilemma with the attached O. S. map, which is a very small copy of a 1916-1918 O. S. original.

As I explained I was hoping to experiment with various methods of trying to improve the quality so that I could use it in Templot, but as you have proven, it will not work sufficiently to be of any significant use.

Bye the way, I have contacted the old-maps site by email in order to buy a copy of this map at a scale of 1:2500, which I hope I may be able to use, even if it means some form of enlargement (or re-drawing parts of), However, I have not heard from them for some time now, which seems they do not wish to sell me a copy !!
I shall, however, be a little more patient on this and send them another email shortly.

As you say, it may be better to seek such a map from another source, unfortunately one of the best sources I use is the BCL, Birmingham Central Library, and I know Richard Abbott the archivist there quite well, he is a well known authenticator of older maps, but now for the foreseeable future, the BCL is not open for business as they say, due to them having to pack up there archives ready for the move to new premises next year (2013).

So looks as if I need to look elsewhere.

Well thank you again Martin, your experiments, information and help which are most appreciated, and you have saved me the time pursuing this experiment any further.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 28 May 2012 16:06

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your message, I will certainly have a good look on the web site of The National Library of Scotland in order to see what they may have, you never know when the need for such information may come up.

However, I tend to be mainly interested in the Midlands area of the railway in particular the LNWR company, followed closely by the MR.

But again thank you for the thought, it is most welcome. :thumb:

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 28 May 2012 17:28

Martin Wynne

Brian Nicholls wrote:
Bye the way, I have contacted the old-maps site by email in order to buy a copy of this map at a scale of 1:2500, which I hope I may be able to use, even if it means some form of enlargement (or re-drawing parts of), However, I have not heard from them for some time now, which seems they do not wish to sell me a copy !!
I shall, however, be a little more patient on this and send them another email shortly.
Hi Brian,

I think you must order online via their web site. You should receive your email with the PDF file attached within a few minutes of ordering, certainly within 24 hours.

Full online ordering details are here:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/faq.html#buy

As far as I can see, the only email option is to use your PayPal login email address.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 May 2012 18:40

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the further info.

PAYPAL, there’s the rub !!!!  :(

I think we have been round this route before, as previously stated in other messages, I do not use PayPal.

I did email old-maps some time ago regarding this problem, and asked if I could just telephone with credit card details or send a personal cheque, but as stated in previous message, no reply yet,  you would think the people there would have the decency to at least say Yes or No to my query, instead of just ignoring it ( not a very good way to conduct business, in my view).

I am trying other avenues  to locate a suitable map for this site and of the required period.

If no success in that direction, then I may go back to the drawing board, (yes literally the old drawing board) and try to re-draw the low resolution map I have using old techniques of pencil, pen and ink to scale up the existing image (one slight problem there is, not too sure of the scale of the existing image I have, since it is taken from screen shots, but desperate measures, and all that !!).

Thanks again Martin. :thumb:

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 28 May 2012 19:17

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Brian,
I do not use PayPal.
You don't actually need a Paypal account to use it to pay someone, and it's a darn sight safer than handing over your credit or debit card details to someone over the phone.  Old-maps are not going to be out to scam you, and neither are Paypal.  If even an ancient society like the RCTS can accept Paypal, maybe you should look at it again!

I wish Masokits would take Paypal or at least debit cards - I'm just searching for my, er, what's it called again?  Cheque book, that's it :D  I'm sure it's here somewhere...

posted: 28 May 2012 20:26

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,

You know the old saying about, “not being able to teaching old dogs new tricks”, Well, call me an old dog if you like. :D

We, that’s, you Paul and I, have been round this route before in a previous posting, and I still haven’t change my mind on this one.

One thing that really bugs me about this affair, and particularly Old-maps is, that I am only being offered this one method of payment, and the attitude is that, ‘you take it or leave it’ (well, I personally, will leave it !!). :(

Anyhow, I think that’s enough on this subject before you get me really started on it, also I don’t think this is the place to air ones feelings on it, as I really enjoy the Templot Club site and don’t wish to blot my copybook as the saying goes.

Bye the way, I appreciate your light hearted comments about the “Cheque Book”, I make regular use of mine, although the wife really takes control of it if the truth is known. :D

No offence meant or taken. :thumb:

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 28 May 2012 21:01

Martin Wynne

Brian Nicholls wrote:
One thing that really bugs me about this affair, and particularly Old-maps is, that I am only being offered this one method of payment, and the attitude is that, ‘you take it or leave it’ (well, I personally, will leave it !!). :(
Hi Brian,

I don't think "take it or leave it" is an unreasonable business attitude. A product is offered and the terms stated. No-one is obliged to accept it if they don't want to.

If I was running old-maps, I too would offer online only, PayPal only. But I would try to respond to emails, if only to politely point this out. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 May 2012 21:56

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Brian
We, that’s, you Paul and I, have been round this route before in a previous posting, and I still haven’t change my mind on this one.
You know sometimes there's a little niggling déjà vu feeling?  I should have taken more notice of it - sorry!!!

Yup - I do still have to dust off the cheque book occasionally.  Masokits for one - did I mention them (him)? :D  Nice track system, by the way, once you've worked out how to fold the chairs without needing to refer to the instructions for each and every one you place, and have learnt to recognise the different types of chair in a flat etch!

Cheers

posted: 28 May 2012 22:28

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Martin & Paul,

Sorry guy’s, no further comment on the PayPal affair.

Although having seen Martins last reply thus:  :?

Martin Wynne wrote:
I don't think "take it or leave it" is an unreasonable business attitude. A product is offered and the terms stated. No-one is obliged to accept it if they don't want to.

My first reaction was to hit the keyboard with a few choice words in response, and having got about three quarters the way through my written views, I then deleted it all thinking, what’s the use, as I had hoped my last message was an end of the matter regarding PayPal.
Also we are straying well of the path of the original reason for my posting.

On a final word, if anyone does happen to come up with a method of enhancing images to a much better quality, please let me know A.S.A.P. :D

Until then, will keep searching for another map supplier. :(

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 29 May 2012 08:24

Martin Wynne

Brian Nicholls wrote:
My first reaction was to hit the keyboard with a few choice words in response, and having got about three quarters the way through my written views, I then deleted it all thinking, what’s the use, as I had hoped my last message was an end of the matter regarding PayPal.
Hi Brian,

You are welcome to post your thoughts here, choice or otherwise. :)

However, PayPal is important to me and I want visitors to this site to use it with confidence:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/templot_donate.htm

If you have a specific complaint about PayPal by all means say what it is. But a blanket rubbishing of them is not helpful. I have used PayPal for 12 years now without any problems at all, and always found their service extremely reliable. In the early days their web site was a bit confusing and some users got in a muddle. But nowadays it is all very clear and logical.

best regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 May 2012 14:49

Matt M.

Australia

Sorry to stay off topic Brian, but personally I love PayPal.

I agree that a choice is much better, however if there is no choice I'd come down in favour of PayPal.
Given that choice it is absolutely my preferred method of payment.
It keeps you from spreading your card details all over the internet which lessens the chance having your details ripped off.

I'm with Paul on this issue. I wish more small model railway component manufacturers in England would have the facility.
It is no fun to spend $30 Australian dollars on a currency conversion and a cheque because someone can only deal with
cheques in Pounds or Euros. Especially if the item wanted and airmail postage to Australia comes to less than you had to
pay in fees. It has, more than once, stopped me from purchasing items.

It isn't perfect, and there are retailers who won't use it after problems with customers, (in doubtful situations PayPal tends to
side with customers, at least for the first time). But no system is perfect.

But the basic set up costs aren't high. The fees charged for transactions aren't large and you can add them to the overall price
of a PayPal purchase.
There is a certain amount of built in safety for the merchant as well. And they don't have to set up internet credit card
handling systems, (merchants are responsible for due care of your financial information).
The customer doesn't have to have a PayPal account. It is reasonably easy to set up an account. They have some systems in place
that are slightly annoying initially, but they are designed to help weed out the short term scam artists.
All my experiences dealing with their representatives have been positive, and they have gone out of their way to resolve
the few problems I've had.

And it makes it easy to remove money from overseas customers, an audience that having a website allows you to tap into.

I just purchased a kit from a Polish company two days ago. It will be here in Australia in the next two weeks, (post offices willing).
As it didn't come through two extra merchants with associated shipping costs, it will cost me nearly 50% less to my door
than retail (not that anyone had the item in stock here). The transaction took less than 2 minutes...

I'm about to purchase some items from a British institution. While this body has a web shop, what I need requires
me to fill in a form, and post it back to England, with either a cheque or card details... in this day and age?
When they already have some internet payment facilities? Bizarre.

I don't know about old dogs Brian, but if you can use Templot PayPal should hold no fear for you.
(No offence ment Martin).

Cheers, Matthew.

posted: 29 May 2012 15:24

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Martin & Matthew,

I have to be honest and say, that I am responding to your messages as a matter of courtesy, simply because I had hoped this was closed, and would dearly like to get back to the original questions of the original posting.

The only thing I will say now is, that we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

No offence meant or taken.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > How can I enhance the resolution & size of a small track plan
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020