Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1982Access through a proxy
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Jun 2012 11:13

James1979

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Not really a flaw but wasn't sure where else to put this query!

I use Templot a lot when at home and recently downloaded and installed a version at work (naughty I know but sometimes I'd like to have a little play in my lunch break!!)

However, although the programme downloaded and installed it will not run on the machine. When I click on 'go' it says 'unable to connect to the Templot website. Please check your internet connection'.

I know the connection is ok and I can access the form/85a site with no problems so wondered if there was something in the programme that stopped it working because my internet connection goes through a proxy server?

If so, is there any solution?

Thanks in advance,

James

posted: 13 Jun 2012 11:47

Les G

Best to ask your IT Manager

posted: 13 Jun 2012 12:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi James,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

The most likely explanation is that the firewall on your IT system is preventing any unauthorized  program from accessing the internet. Tell your IT manager that you need to allow internet access for the program templot_2.exe

If you have a home laptop, you could try taking that to work. If you start Templot on it at home, you can then use the Hibernate function. (This doesn't use any battery power, the laptop is turned off with the entire current computer state stored on disk. Templot needs internet access only during startup.)

Strictly speaking, installing Templot on your work computer is an infringement of the Templot2 terms of use, unless that computer is your own property:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?terms_of_use.htm

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Jun 2012 15:39

James1979

Thanks Martin - some very useful info!

I have spoken to my technician and he has said that somewhere in the Templot programme it must try to connect directly to the internet and the would be a code change needed or option installed to allow it to go through a proxy server.

But... as you have said that it's an infringement of the Ts & Cs anyway it's all irrelevant because I didn't realise that and will uninstall it now and bring my own laptop into work in the future!

I should probably spend my time at work working anyway...

posted: 5 May 2015 19:36

postledm

United Kingdom

I use a proxy server at home, (ipcop for those technically minded) great for controlling children's access and stops others from getting onto the Internet even if they plug their device into the network. And it automatically shuts down at midnight and won't allow connections until morning even if  the kids turn it back on. Forces them to go to bed. ha ha :D
I digress. Templot doesn't, as yet, support access through a proxy but I added a firewall rule that allows tcp connections on  port 80 from my pc to the templot.com IP address.
So if you do use a proxy server it is possible to get templot to work.
Hope that helps anyone else who is as nerdy as me

posted: 5 May 2015 20:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Thanks for that David.

And welcome to Templot Club. :)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Access through a proxy
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020