Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2052P4 Kings Cross
author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Sep 2012 22:40

James

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I've attached the files for my P4 plan of Kings Cross. I had great fun designing it but I have had real problems with all the 3-ways.

I have put the rails in at the correct angle but would love it if someone else could actually turn them into turnouts and tell me how they did it! I have watched the 3-way vid many times but there are bits that don't seem to match and I'm not sure how to get two roads going left and one right.

I thought my plan was pretty accurate until I saw this picture so it may need some tweeking! Apparently there is a swicthed double slip and one of the double slips looks curved which I do not have on mine at the moment!

(I have a background picture of KX on the plan but I'm not sure how to upload 2 files in one post so will put it in the next one!)

Thanks for any help,
2527_091737_120000000.jpg2527_091737_120000000.jpg

Attachment: attach_1489_2052_kings_cross.box     493

posted: 9 Sep 2012 22:41

James

KX Shapes I use behind the plan...
Attachment: attach_1490_2052_kings_cross.bgs     361

posted: 9 Sep 2012 23:46

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

James wrote:
KX Shapes I use behind the plan...
Hi James.
You will need to post the picture file (kings cross.jpg) that the .bgs file uses as well for the background shapes to work.
Tony.

posted: 10 Sep 2012 00:08

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi James,

As Tony explained, please also attach the kings_cross.sk81 image file which you will find in your C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\SHAPE-FILES\ folder.

The BGS file contains only the dimensions of the image on the trackpad, not the image itself.

Only one attachment file can be added per message, as you found. Just keep posting further messages to attach further files. This is a bit inconvenient, but does make it easy to describe each file without any confusion.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Sep 2012 06:55

James

Sorry about that omission - first time uploading!

Hopefully everything is now attached.
Attachment: attach_1491_2052_kings_cross.sk81     1105

posted: 10 Sep 2012 11:01

Brian Hanson

Nottingham - United Kingdom

Hi James,

You can breathe a big sigh of relief there!.. the image you posted is from the early 70's whereas your plan is the modern station with very much simplified track layout .. great plan though, it'll be good to see a modern version of Kings Cross:thumb:

I am also struggling with tandem/3 ways (funnily enough for Kings Cross but in the 70's:D).. I had just started a thread here topic 2053 when I noticed your post! (note to mods: please feel free to remove it if necessary)

Cheers

Brian

posted: 10 Sep 2012 11:14

Tony W

Hi James.
Thanks for the picture file, I can now see what you are up to. First a question. What period are you intending to model as the background picture you are using is of the current layout of Kings Cross after it was rationalised in the late 1970s as part of the electrification process? The photograph you are comparing things with was taken prior to this in December 1972 and the track layouts are quite different. Incidentally both were built using Flat bottom rail. There are also issues with your slips as the switch blades end inside the checkrails rather than clear of them.
Tony.

posted: 10 Sep 2012 11:43

James

Thanks for those replies so far - very relieved the photo is from a different date as I can now ignore it! (Although I did like that double slip on a curve!)

It is intended to be modern day and I realised (as I drifted to sleep late last night) that I had done the whole plan with BH and not FB rail! What a fool!

Is there any way I can just change it from one to another? Do I need to start again for it? Or does it really matter?!

As for the slip checkrails - thanks Tony, I hadn't noticed that - is there an easy way to correct that or do they need re-drawing?

Thanks Brian - I had read your thread while I was struggling with my 3-ways! I tried again last night but am getting confused with what I am actually doing and just can't sort it.

Hoping someone may be able to convert one of the ones from my KX plan to an actual 3-way and say how they did it.

Thanks again for the replies, always much appreciated.
Last edited on 10 Sep 2012 11:45 by James
posted: 10 Sep 2012 12:03

Tony W

Hi James.
No you do not need to start again, there are however significant differences between the geometry of Bull head and Flat bottom turnouts but they can be converted. I wll have a look at your tandems later today, leave it with me.
Tony.

posted: 10 Sep 2012 12:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

James wrote:
It is intended to be modern day and I realised (as I drifted to sleep late last night) that I had done the whole plan with BH and not FB rail! What a fool!

Is there any way I can just change it from one to another? Do I need to start again for it? Or does it really matter?!
Hi James,

Will you be building it with FB rail?

You can easily change it all to print out as FB rail showing the rail foot lines on the templates, and with machined check rail flares. But of course the switches will still be to steam-age REA bullhead semi-curved geometry. Whether that matters only you can decide. Only a tiny minority of modellers would be able to notice the difference once it's built with FB rail.

There are some proper FB switches pre-set available in Templot but they are all pre-1970 inclined FB designs. Even just changing to those will mean quite a lot of reworking of your plan.

If it was remodelled in 1972 it's more likely to have been done with the 1432mm vertical FB designs with double-curved switches. But that will have long since worn out by now, and is probably now replaced with RT/NR60 designs. If you want accurate representations of what is there now you will need to create custom modern FB switches and cast crossings (and have access to a lot of the current prototype data), and redo the whole thing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Sep 2012 13:46

James

Thanks for the reply Martin. Yes, I was going to model it in FB but that sounds like it will be a bit of a task to do it correctly?

I don't mind the idea of custom FB swicthes but finding the correct prototype info in the first place (with enought reference photos) and making cast crossings sound like it will be very challenging.

I may follow your first suggestion and print it off as FB and use the REA semi-curved geometry but with FB track.

Thanks Tony - I look forward to seeing what you can do with my doodlings!

posted: 23 Sep 2012 23:45

Tony W

Hi James.
Well I have finally got something worth posting. I have gone back to basics I am afraid and have redone most of it. I was hoping to get further than this before replying, but thought I would let you see how far I have got before I go away for a few days. The Tandems (first stage) are achieved by taking a length of plain track and inserting a turnout into it (ctrl + I), adjust to the required switch and angle then store as background template. When the control template reappears simply Roam turnout along length (ctrl + F9) to position it and adjust the switch and angle to suit. If the opposite hand is required, then use Invert handing (ctrl + X).
As Martin has pointed out, the nearest I can get with the pre-defined options is curved FB switches for BS113a rail. At least they did not use precast crossings or transitioned turnouts from the pictures.
It may look a bit strange without the sleepers, but I will sort that out next. I hope you find what I have done so far helpful. You certainly have chosen something ambitious.
Tony.
Attachment: attach_1507_2052_kings_cross_stage_1.box     379

posted: 4 Oct 2012 12:00

James

Tony - many thanks for your hard work on that! It looks great and certainly better than my original. Now the hard bit's out of the way I've just got to make it!

posted: 20 Oct 2012 13:32

Tony W

Hi James.
Well I think I have finally got there. Without spending an inordinate amount of time on it, I think I am reasonably happy with the result using the inbuilt options Templot offers. Explaining in detail how the Tandems were done would take a great deal of time and text. In essence I split them into three stages. Stage 1 is setting out the two turnouts and adding the third crossing. Stage 2 involves tidying up the timbering (which can sometimes result in having to alter stage 1). Stage 3 involves sorting out the duplicate rails. I will see if I can do a separate posting to expand on how each stage is done. In the meantime the trackplan is attached.
Good luck with your project.
Tony.
Attachment: attach_1517_2052_kings_cross_modern_version.box     371

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > P4 Kings Cross
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020