author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Oct 2012 13:33

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

Is it possible to print multiple background shapes - ie superimpose a baseboard outline on top of the OS map and print these out together with the templates? (I also have a "room" shape in there as well!)

I've been trying the "transparent" option on the background shapes but I haven't been able to print them out as they appear on the screen.

Fully accepting this may be down to my ignorance......

best wishes

Richard

posted: 6 Oct 2012 13:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

The picture shapes are themselves background shapes, and all background shapes print on top of one another in the order listed on the background shapes dialog.

In order to have all other shapes showing over the top of a picture shape, you need to move the picture shape to the top of the list, i.e. to the back of the stack. Select it in the list and then click the top brown arrow button on the right (move to back).

Alternatively you can bring the required background shape to the front by selecting it in the list and then clicking the bottom arrow button on the right (move to front).

The transparent setting has no effect when printing picture shapes. I will look at that, but I fear it may cause problems on a lot of printers.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:58

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

many thanks for the information via the other topic thread - I have now loaded up TEMPLOT2 and can see the buttons you referred to. :D

I've also been experimenting withe the EXPORT facility as I may now have access to a plotter, and so have been exporting to PDF but, with Northiam which had 3 shapes in the background I could only get anything to appear on the pdf file by deleting 2 of them and making the remaining one transparent, whereas with the Rye and Camber File the background appeared "just like that"!

Any thoughts - I could try attaching the pdf files but expect they will exceed the upload limit!

best wishes

Richard

ps what are .sk81 files? - they seem to have appeared in the SHAPE folder
Attachment: attach_1518_2073_Northiam_Templot2.box     260

posted: 21 Oct 2012 14:57

Martin Wynne

Richard_Jones wrote:
I've also been experimenting withe the EXPORT facility as I may now have access to a plotter, and so have been exporting to PDF but, with Northiam which had 3 shapes in the background I could only get anything to appear on the pdf file by deleting 2 of them and making the remaining one transparent, whereas with the Rye and Camber File the background appeared "just like that"!

Any thoughts - I could try attaching the pdf files but expect they will exceed the upload limit!
Hi Richard,

Which reader program are you using to view the PDF file? From the size of your plan I think you may be exceeding the size limit for Adobe Reader.

Try instead using a different PDF reader, all free:

Nitro Reader: http://www.nitroreader.com

Foxit Reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader

PDF-Xchange Viewer: http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

All of which will handle much larger PDF page sizes than Adobe Reader.

It's annoying that so many web sites tell users to download Adobe Reader to view PDFs, when all of the above reader programs work better. I tend to use mostly PDF-Xchange nowadays, and the Nitro reader allows you to extract content from PDFs (e.g. original resolution image files).

The attachment upload limit on here is 6.5MB, so it's unlikely your files will exceed that.

ps what are .sk81 files? - they seem to have appeared in the SHAPE folder
Previous versions of Templot required you to save your picture shape image files in the same folder as the BGS file, normally the SHAPE-FILES folder. This seemed a simple enough requirement to me, but so many users got in a muddle and complained about picture shapes coming up empty that Templot2 now saves a copy of them in there for you. They are actually PNG files, but the SK8x extension allows them to be tagged to the relevant picture shape in the corresponding BGS file.

Please don't modify the SK8x files if you want your BGS files to load correctly.  

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Oct 2012 13:09

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I'm now trying a full version of Acrobat 6, as opposed to v9 of the reader - with Northiam a nice solid view of the plan "flashes up" briefly before it "disappears" under the templates - with a transparent shape I can get a feint outline of the shape. Whereas the Rye and Camber (attached below) is fine - I am restricted to using Acrobat as I can't load any programmes onto the computer attached to the plotter...

Sorry to be such a luddite...

best wishes

Richard 
Attachment: attach_1521_2073_rye_and_camber.pdf     276

posted: 23 Oct 2012 13:54

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

Can you upload the PDF file which is causing the problem?

Martin.

posted: 23 Oct 2012 15:05

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Here's one version of Northiam......
Attachment: attach_1522_2073_northiam.pdf     294

posted: 23 Oct 2012 15:06

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

and here's another.....
Attachment: attach_1523_2073_northiam_single_sheet.pdf     280

posted: 23 Oct 2012 16:04

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

Thanks for uploading your files.

Your PDF file contains 3 picture shapes, one containing the scanned map image, and 2 containing some baseboard/room drawings as solid images.

Unfortunately the baseboard/room drawings are in front of and completely obscuring the scanned map image.

You have probably misunderstood the transparent setting. This applies to the trackpad screen view only -- it doesn't modify the image files or affect the way they are printed or shown in other formats.

see below

Which program did you use to create the baseboard/room images?

To do what you want, I suggest you delete them and then draw the baseboard/room details directly as background line shapes in Templot, rather than using a picture shape image for them. If you load the scanned map first, the drawn lines will appear in front of it.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Oct 2012 21:22

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
You have probably misunderstood the transparent setting. This applies to the trackpad screen view only -- it doesn't modify the image files or affect the way they are printed or shown in other formats.
Apologies Richard -- that was incorrect. :(

The bitmap transparency effect is working in all formats except the built-in PDF engine. It works for normal print, exported image files and in trackplan items on the sketchboard.

The built-in PDF engine is a 3rd-party component, so I will need to contact the suppliers to find out why transparency is not supported.

If you need to create PDF files containing bitmap transparency effects I suggest using the normal output > print... functions and a virtual printer PDF generator -- the PDF creator which comes with the free Nitro PDF Reader works well and supports transparency -- I just tried it.

Having said all that, I still think it would be better to create your baseboards/room outline as line shapes, rather than using a transparent image.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Printing multiple backgrounds
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020