topic: 208Interlaced turnouts, including NER at Hessle
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Oct 2007 18:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
For timber-shoving enthusiasts, Mick Nicholson has very kindly supplied this superb picture of NER interlaced-sleeper turnouts at Hessle.

Looking at these old pictures (this is thought to be the 1890s) it is easy to imagine it actually looked like that. Remember that even in those days the sky was blue, the trees were green and the bricks were red. On the other hand, the colour of the track is probably correct. :)

This below is a smaller image for this web page. A high-resolution image (3094 x 2079 pixels, 3MB) can be downloaded from large image. (Right click on the link and Save Target/Link As...).

hessle_interlaced_ner.jpghessle_interlaced_ner.jpg

Martin.

posted: 27 Oct 2007 22:19

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Just to show that interlacing was not necessarily old....

blackford.jpgblackford.jpg

This is at Blackford Station on the ex Caledonian line to the north east.   The turnout is actually a bit like the Irishman's pickaxe - the original object,  but with replaced timbers and LMS/BR chairs :-)   The picture was taken around 1980 and the stock in the sidings shows that it is relatively modern.

Jim.
Last edited on 27 Oct 2007 22:20 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 16 Nov 2008 16:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Another picture of a sleepered turnout from Mick.

This is a clearly a more modern picture with the turnout in good repair -- and track-circuited. Notice also the wide area of neat ballasting.

sleepered_turnout.jpgsleepered_turnout.jpg

Thanks again Mick. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jan 2009 18:56

grahamroberts

I was interested to learn from Keith Fenwick, HMRS steward for the Great North of Scotland Railway, that two interlaced-sleeper turnouts survive in regular use at the goods-only Aberdeen Waterloo terminus. Google Earth shows the location quite nicely at 57° 9'1.97"N,   2° 5'9.15"W (the other turnout is at the other end of the loop, partly under a bridge).

Both turnouts are easily visible from overbridges. Keith has kindly allowed me to reproduce his photographs - the first taken in September 2008, the other in June 2006. There has clearly been a bit of patching and new chairs added over the years, and the crossings have been replaced along with conventional long timbers, but the interlaced timbers are still evident.

Keith tells me another interlaced turnout survives at Helmsdale on the ex-Highland Railway.

regards

Graham Roberts

Attachment: attach_473_waterloo-turnout-2.jpg 1239

posted: 26 Jan 2009 19:04

grahamroberts

This is Keith's second image.

Attachment: attach_474_Waterloo-turnout-1.jpg 1344

posted: 26 Jan 2009 21:53

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Continuing on this thread,  just this weekend the latest edition of the magazine of the Caledonian Railway Association dropped through my letterbox.  Contained in the magazine was an article on Crow Road station in west Glasgow and featuring in one of the pictures with the article was this three way turnout still in use in June 1953.
tandem.JPGtandem.JPG

The picture was taken by the late J.F.McEwan and I've taken a small extract from the bottom right corner.

Jim.

posted: 1 Feb 2009 14:30

James Dickie

York - United Kingdom

Many thanks to Graham for posting the photos of interlaced turnouts on the Waterloo Goods branch. For the last few years I have been making slow progress on a P4 model of exactly this location, originally inspired by the photos in George O'Hara's classic Scottish Urban & Rural Branchlines. If you visited Scaleforum 2008 then you may have seen the partially finished model - there's still a good bit of senic work to finish.

However, I have taken some pics of my version of the interlaced turnouts. All were designed in Templot and the entire trackplan printed onto a long roll of good qualtiy paper. This was then stuck to the basedboard and the turnouts built on top. I have to say (again!) that I found this an incredibly easy way to get the trackwork looking right. PW experts will undoubtedly find fault :D but it all runs very well.

The interlacing was done with reference to an North British Railway drawing that I have and then shoved arouind by eye until it looked right. Unfortunately a hard drive failure has resulted in the templates being lost :(

Cheers,

James

Attachment: attach_478_090201_Interlaced1.jpg 1562

posted: 1 Feb 2009 14:31

James Dickie

York - United Kingdom

Another pic of (semi-)interlaced turnouts on my model of the Waterloo Branch in Aberdeen.

James
Attachment: attach_479_090201_Interlaced2.jpg 1565

posted: 1 Feb 2009 14:32

James Dickie

York - United Kingdom

And yet a third...

James
Attachment: attach_480_090201_Interlaced3.jpg 1794

posted: 1 Feb 2009 15:58

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

I sympathise with James about his hard drive.

The software I used when my previous hard drive crashed can be found at:

http://www.file-recovery.net/

This enabled me to retrieve about 90% of the data that would otherwise have been lost to me - well worth the price of the software.

Regards

Bill.

posted: 4 Aug 2010 08:33

Mike Waldron

Tewkesbury - United Kingdom

That's great - the best view of one ever!

Thanks
Mike

posted: 4 Aug 2010 12:59

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi,

So there are all in one place, here's the photos previously mentioned taken at Northiam (KESR) in the mid to late '70s.

1763_031825_590000000.jpg1763_031825_590000000.jpg

best wishes

Richard

posted: 21 Aug 2010 15:57

Mike Waldron

Tewkesbury - United Kingdom

Many thanks for those brilliant photos

Most helpful

Mike
(just back from Switzerland... and no I didn't go up th Jungfrau - it was far too cloudy!)

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Interlaced turnouts, including NER at Hessle
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020