click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Tips and tutorials > 3 way turnout tutorial
Templot web site

Rating                           3 way turnout tutorial

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 21 Oct 2012 22:50
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
julia

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Is there a definitive tutorial on creating 3 way turnouts in the latest version of templot? 
Thanks
J

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 21 Oct 2012 23:12
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
julia wrote: Is there a definitive tutorial on creating 3 way turnouts in the latest version of Templot?Hi Julia,

Sorry not yet. One of the reasons Templot is currently free is that the existing docs are all out-of-date. :)

A new tutorial and video is on my to-do list. Unfortunately this stuff takes 10 times longer to do than writing the actual program. :(

However I wrote a quick run-down of the Templot2 changes for tandems here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1487&forum_id=17#p9841

and some notes about it here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1567&forum_id=1

The old video is here:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/3_way_tandem.exe

regards,

Martin.

3rd message | this message only posted: 21 Oct 2012 23:23
julia

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I really am struggling to do anything more than just create a single turnout with templot. Following all these instructions I don't end up with the hoped for turnout. At this stage I just want to make a simple H0e 3 way turnout, with 700mm radius on both sides...

J

4th message | this message only posted: 21 Oct 2012 23:45
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
julia wrote: I really am struggling to do anything more than just create a single turnout with templot. Following all these instructions I don't end up with the hoped for turnout. At this stage I just want to make a simple H0e 3 way turnout, with 700mm radius on both sides...Hi Julia,

That sounds like you want a symmetrical 3-throw turnout?

In which case you can get the basic alignments just by overlaying left and right hand turnouts:

1. start with a straight turnout of the required size (radius).

2. press the CTRL+0 (zero) keys.

3. press the INSERT key.

4. click the template > swap hand menu item.

5. press the INSERT key.

6. press the HOME key.

However, have you actually tried building such a thing? It's very tricky to get the coincident switches working properly -- such turnouts are confined to yards and sidings on the prototype. Far more common are 3-way tandem turnouts, with staggered switches, as in the video.

regards,

Martin.

5th message | this message only posted: 21 Oct 2012 23:54
julia

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I am noticing that my new laptop doesn't appear to have an insert button on they keyboard, is there an alternative key combination?

The turnout in question is for a yard, it is the turnout that feeds into a 3 road engine shed. In terms of what the final turnout looks like, I am open to the possibility that a 3 way tandem may be what I think I want. one track going straight through, one going right (radius 700mm), one going left (radius 700mm). they don't have to both diverge at the same location, they could be offset slightly, but not to much, the idea is that is should take up less space than 2 normal turnouts. I think in my mind I am seeing something like the peco "asymmetric 3 way" only with the radii of both being the same?

Does that make sense?

J

6th message | this message only posted: 22 Oct 2012 01:08
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

julia wrote: I am noticing that my new laptop doesn't appear to have an insert button on they keyboard, is there an alternative key combination?Hi Julia,

On laptops the INSERT key is usually somewhere near the top right corner. I'd be surprised if there isn't one. However the alternatives are to click the top tool-button having a double down-arrow, or the main > store & background menu item, or press CTRL+V.

one track going straight through, one going right (radius 700mm), one going left (radius 700mm). they don't have to both diverge at the same location, they could be offset slightly Do they have to be the same radius? Generally for a tandem that makes things tricky, as it's difficult to stagger the switches far enough to be able to open the second switch, without getting the middle crossing too close to the next crossing. It may be possible with some careful watching of the clearances, something like this perhaps:

As you can see, the lower check rail on the middle crossing is going to be difficult.

A tandem is much easier if the two turnouts can differ. Why is it so important that they are both the same radius?

regards,

Martin.

7th message | this message only posted: 22 Oct 2012 17:52
julia

view images in gallery
view images as slides
For clarity it is not critical that they are the same radius. the one diverging to the right has to be 700mm, but the one to the left can diverge by more than 700mm.

J

8th message | this message only posted: 30 Oct 2012 10:33
Ray Hughes
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Martin Wynne wrote: ...
As you can see, the lower check rail on the middle crossing is going to be difficult.

I've overlaid an A5 and an A5.5, both semi-curved. The check rails weren't a problem but the running surface of the straight switch blade of the turnout nearest the crossing vees fouls the non running surface of the curved switch blade of the other turnout albeit only when both are set for their respective divergent routes.

I can move the "points" further apart but that would then appear to compromise the crossing vee/check rail of the crossing closest to the tie-bars.

Is there any kind of formula/process for hitting the ideal relative positions? I can overcome the problem by interlocking the two sets of switches so that they can't both we set for the divergent route (of which only the first encountered set of switches is actually routeing).

I have yet to try the 9ft straight heel switch option. Is this likely to make a difference?

9th message | this message only posted: 30 Oct 2012 11:03
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Ray Hughes wrote:Is there any kind of formula/process for hitting the ideal relative positions?Hi Ray,

Generally, you should either build a proper 3-throw turnout (with the switches coincident), or a tandem turnout (with the second switch staggered completely beyond the heel of the first one). If you have a situation where the switches are staggered but still need to be interlocked, it seems that you have created a non-prototypical hybrid arrangement.

The usual rules for a tandem are that the first switch should have a heel offset of at least 10" at the toe of the second switch, and the fine-point (FP) of the middle crossing must be at least 14" from the nearest running rail. Otherwise it's not possible to fit all the chairs with the required clearances. Generally this means you need a significant difference in the crossing angles. For example a common size is a 1:6 turnout combined with a 1:8 turnout. A difference of only 1:5 to 1:5.5 may not be enough, but some further lead length adjustment is possible on the flatter angles by increasing the crossing entry straight.

I have yet to try the 9ft straight heel switch option. Is this likely to make a difference?Yes, it will significantly change the geometry. Generally using the shorter straight switches saves a lot of space on non-natural turnouts and gives you more flexibility in the design of formations. You don't have to actually build them as loose-heel switches if you don't want to -- just adopt the geometry, adding dummy heel joints.

I'm currently trying to get the next program update finished. But a top priority after that will be to make a completely new tutorial and video on tandem turnouts. This topic comes up very often, and Templot2 contains changes which make it a bit easier than the old video.

regards,

Martin.

10th message | this message only posted: 8 Nov 2012 20:18
julia

view images in gallery
view images as slides
 Looking at the image above, and a lot of the turnout templates I can find for 3 way turnouts, where they are made up of non matching turnouts, I.e. a #6 and a #8, the shorter one is always off to the left, is there a reason for this?

I'm slightly confused by the terminology being used, 3 way turnout, tandem, asymmetric 3 way etc...
Looking at the track plan I want to build, I think what is needed is a 3 way where the right hand turning point is first, and then the left. Both need to be a minimum of 700mm radius, but they don't need to both be the same. With this in mind, what is the turnout I am wanting to build? Is this technically a tandem?

Thanks

J

This is topic ID = 2086     Page created at 01:51 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Tips and tutorials > 3 way turnout tutorial
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2017