author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Nov 2012 21:37

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I've been making use of the very useful prefix tags, and have a suggestion that you and others may like to ponder - that is, when using a tagged label to create a label shape, the label shape reads something like [shed] catch instead of just catch, which is what I'd prefer.

Would it be possible, or even desirable, to automatically remove the tag when creating a label shape?  I realise that I can edit the label name before and after creating the label shape at the moment.

...or would this be an excuse to draw you away from documentation and back to coding? :D

posted: 23 Nov 2012 21:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
Would it be possible, or even desirable, to automatically remove the tag when creating a label shape?
Hi Paul,

That's a good idea and easily done. Thanks for suggesting it. :thumb:

In the next update.

But I think that's the first time anyone has ever mentioned using label shapes. Do you find them useful?

For those wondering, it means the template name is part of the background shapes, and therefore gets printed on the template, included in PDF exports and on the sketchboard.

I will make removing the tag(s) an option, because someone is bound to want them left on.

...or would this be an excuse to draw you away from documentation and back to coding? :D
How did you guess that I'm coding anyway? :)

Martin.

posted: 23 Nov 2012 22:07

Martin Wynne

I realise that I can edit the label name before and after creating the label shape at the moment.
p.s. Paul,

You can also edit the text of a label shape directly on the background shapes dialog.

Select the shape in the list, edit the name in the box, click the modify shape tab, click the change... button, and press ENTER 3 times.

How intuitive is that? :)

Martin.

posted: 23 Nov 2012 22:26

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

Thanks!
But I think that's the first time anyone has ever mentioned using label shapes. Do you find them useful?
Yup - they're great for reminders on the build template, especially for complex formations.  A plain turnout might just have B8, but an assymetrical irregular diamond with outside slip (to take a random example that I've just built!) might have all sorts of things like C switch, B switch, V10, K1.85-V1.86 scattered about.  It just means that the info is right there under my nose whilst I'm building.  I've even used them for odd notes like cut back check rail. Usually the templates are renamed as something else once the shape is there.
How did you guess that I'm coding anyway?
Oh, just intuition :D
You can also edit the text of a label shape directly on the background shapes dialog.
I didn't know that - I'd been deleting label shapes then re-creating them with new labels.  Must remember that one - thanks!

posted: 23 Nov 2012 22:44

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
Usually the templates are renamed as something else once the shape is there.
Hi Paul,

You can add label shapes directly without starting from a template name. Just go to the background shapes, enter the text in the box, select label in the list, click where you want it on the trackpad, select the clicked locations option, and add shape. :)

Martin.

posted: 24 Nov 2012 12:15

Paul Boyd

Doh!  That's one of those things that's been staring me in the face, but I've not seen it :?

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Prefix tags and label shapes
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020