Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2121Using Templot for miniature railways
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Dec 2012 20:33

Ron Mitchell

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi, I'm attempting to follow the quick guide to creating a slip but fall at the first hurdle because it refers to terms that don't appear on the screen. This diamond is likely to be my winter's work, so I won't be an intensive user of what I can see is a fantastic resource that really does deserve more of my time to learn - but can't have it because the rest of the yard needs to be built!

Does any reader have the time to complete the attached drawing for me? The slip needs to be about 12192mm radius.

Thanks,
Ron Mitchell (v. confused, tried 5 or 6 times to get my head round it but finally gave up)
Attachment: attach_1548_2121_Diamond_single_slip.box     283

posted: 11 Dec 2012 21:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Here you go, file attached below:

2_111604_000000000.png2_111604_000000000.png

The slip road radius is 15796mm.

Can you say which bit you were stumbling over? I can then add extra explanation.

regards,

Martin.

Important: Before this topic develops further I wish to draw attention to paragraph 6 of the terms of use for Templot:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?terms_of_use.htm

Any design, comment, suggestion or advice given by me is illustrative of the use of my Templot software only, and must not be relied on in the design of any railway track.
Attachment: attach_1549_2121_herstmonceux_slip.box     295

posted: 11 Dec 2012 22:44

Ron Mitchell

Hi Martin, that's fantastic! I got as far as step 5 in the Quick Guide, assumed a substitute for "control" is "Main" & then got totally confused (because I hadn't given enough time to reading help)with "Get a mint turnout template" from store & background.

As I said, I need to devote most of my time to machining & building the crossing components then assembling on site (probably in the wind & snow of a Norfolk winter) so as to be ready for next season's running.

I'll read help to attempt to clean up the drawing, get the text off it (& the extraneous straight track) & get a full size print made so that assembly can be carried out on top of it.

Again, many thanks for you help.

PS. If any of your readers would like to see our 7-1/4"G locos in action, take a look at:

The Midland Compound starts from the location in the yard where the diamond crossing will be located.

posted: 13 Dec 2012 22:08

Mike Woodroffe

Birmingham - United Kingdom

Hi

This is exactly what I am trying to do but in 15" Gauge and it is driving me completely potty. I have no doubt that Templot will do everything that I need but I just can't get it to do it. Very frustrating. Mike

posted: 13 Dec 2012 22:31

Martin Wynne

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

I'm sorry the tutorials are so out of date. I'm trying to get some new ones done.

I assume you are using full-size 1:1 scale on 15" gauge?

Your little railway is delightful -- http://www.rvlr.co.uk

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Dec 2012 10:22

Mike Woodroffe

Birmingham - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Thanks for the kind words about the RVLR.

It would probably be best if I explained what I am trying to do with Templot.

I am not interested in designing a complete model railway. My interest is designing 15" narrow gauge turnouts, crossovers, and a single slip. I am quite sure from what I have seen and read that Templot is quite capable of helping me do this. It's just a matter of understanding how to get the software to do this. Once I have my turnouts and slips designed I will then use the software to design a new station layout.

I've tried to build a 15" Gauge Turnout with mixed success. I can get it something like but I can't get the final adjustments I want. I have attached my current turnout on which I want to base my switch. Initially I want to learn how to shorten the in and out roads. I've removed as many sleepers as the software will allow. I also want to learn how to adjust the radius of the curve. Once I can do that I want to learn how to build a slip on the turnout and then how to print out the finished design with measurements.

So that's my Santa list sorted !!!

Mike

http://www.rvlr.co.uk

Attachment: attach_1550_2121_RVLR_Switch.box     298

posted: 14 Dec 2012 12:06

Martin Wynne

Mike Woodroffe wrote:
I've tried to build a 15" Gauge Turnout with mixed success. I can get it something like but I can't get the final adjustments I want.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting your file. You have done quite well so far in creating a full-size 15" turnout. :)

Can I ask if this is a new design from scratch, or are you measuring some existing components to be used in the construction of this pointwork? Does your workshop impose any design constraints -- the maximum length of rail which can be machined, for example?

As you know, Templot is primarily intended for small-scale model railways. That means everything has two dimensions -- the original full-size prototype dimension, for which Templot normally use inches; and the equivalent dimension on the model, for which Templot normally uses millimetres. This reflects the common UK railway modelling scales which are expressed as mm/ft rather than as a ratio. For many of the dimensions there is a direct scaled correspondence, but not all -- for example the model flangeway gap is often much wider than scale size, and the ruling radius on a model is often very much under scale size.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that working in Templot at 1:1 scale can get a bit confusing with a mixture of units and inappropriate default settings. Ideally you would learn Templot in 00 gauge first. :)

In starting a fresh design from scratch, the first consideration is usually the switch deflection angle, since this controls the wheelbase of locomotives which can negotiate it, and the running speed at which they can safely do so. On standard-gauge track in the UK the shortest switch deflection is 1:24, with a severe speed restriction, although sharper switches are used for industrial sidings and light railways using short-wheelbase shunting engines.

Your switch has a deflection angle of 1:21.03 (31.58"/802mm planing length on a rail-head width of 1.5") which is typical of narrow-gauge lines but does rather depend on the type of locomotives being used. Unless you are tight for space I would tend to ease that to 1:24 (or more) and use some round figures -- 1:24 on 1.5" rail gives a planing length of 36". Or if you prefer to work in mm, 1:24 on 38mm rail gives a planing length of 912mm.

Initially I want to learn how to shorten the in and out roads. I've removed as many sleepers as the software will allow.
You've rather lost me there. Which rails do you want to shorten? Templot will allow you to remove as many timbers as you wish, but usually the idea is to have the right number of them anyway. You shouldn't need to remove any timbers on a custom design for a simple turnout. At present you have the timbering of the switch in a bit of a muddle.

There is a tutorial video showing how to create a custom narrow-gauge turnout in this topic:

topic 376

It's for a 2ft gauge turnout at 7mm/ft model scale (same as 0 gauge) so not directly comparable to your requirements (although the switch deflection is the same, 1:21).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Dec 2012 17:19

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Mike Woodroffe wrote:
Hi

This is exactly what I am trying to do but in 15" Gauge and it is driving me completely potty. I have no doubt that Templot will do everything that I need but I just can't get it to do it. Very frustrating. Mike

Hi Mike,

I have just seen your posting, and as Martin has stated and having looked at your web site, your little railway is a delight. :thumb:

I just thought I would try a 15 inch gauge turnout something along the lines of your box file, and have generated a sample along the lines of a 1:6 Turnout using a loose heel 9ft switch. (see attached box file).

The sample is just a trail, since I have no information on your gauge permanent way specs, and details such as the profile of your 25 lb new rail, all of which is required to create the correct templates.
Regarding this detail, I had to make some assumptions in order to get the turnout to look something near to the requirement.  :?

If I can help in anyway regarding Templot templates, then PM me on the club message mail.

Hope the sample box helps.

All the best,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8fcff"Brian Nicholls.

Attachment: attach_1551_2121_RVLR_Switch_New_Sample.box     279

posted: 15 Dec 2012 11:13

Martin Wynne

Before this topic develops further I wish to draw attention to paragraph 6 of the terms of use for Templot:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?terms_of_use.htm

Any design, comment, suggestion or advice given by me is illustrative of the use of my Templot software only, and must not be relied on in the design of any railway track.

Martin.

posted: 26 Apr 2014 11:47

Martin Wynne

Latest RVLR video, with dates for open days this year:

More info: http://www.rvlr.co.uk/

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Using Templot for miniature railways
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020