topic: 2152Okay - I'm going to have a go
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Feb 2013 13:19

CoBo

North Of The Trent (just) - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Having ripped up the scenic section of my layout, and following considerable encouragement from other members of the forum, I've now decided to take the plunge into designing and building a new section including hand-built trackwork. As my off scene fiddle yard area (which I'm quite happy with) is made up of Tillig & Peco 00 code 83, I've opted to go 00-SF code 75 bullhead rail soldered on copper clad 1.06mm sleepers for the new scenic section. I will obviously have to create/manufacture connecting pieces for the transition from code 83 to 75.

This section of the layout is 10' x 6' 6" max, and was of course drawn with the invaluable help of TEMPLOT.

2626_040729_010000000.png2626_040729_010000000.png

The concept is a single line branch junction, steam with a few diesels using 3 coach trains. Due to cutbacks, part of the line is now disused and the station forms a terminus with run round facility. The other main line is predominantly freight with the occasional through passenger (its actually a continuous run). When the line was fully operational, being about half way along the branch, it provided limited loco facilities for engine changes - which still survive.

The only fixed items at the moment are A and B being entries onto the scenic board, and the fiddle yard storage boards.The spur at the main platform road goes through the back scene for about 8" allowing tender engines room to clear the run round point, which could be moved further to the right to allow longer trains into the platform. Power is DCC (NCE Powerhouse pro 5amp), switchable to DC for running in etc.

For my first stab at track building my intention is to start with this;-

2626_040742_210000000.png2626_040742_210000000.png

a B-6 turnout on the disused main line spur at the end of the platform.

Is this a suitable place to start?

Any/all comments welcome on my efforts so far. Am I heading in the right direction?

Mike

ps. For starters, I've taken steps to acquire a full set of 00-SF gauges from Brian and ordered a small quantity of nickel silver 75 bullhead rail and copper clad sleepers from C&L.

posted: 4 Feb 2013 15:13

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Mike

Could you not be persuaded to use ply sleepers and timbering together with plastic chairs?

They do look so much better than soldered rail on to copperclad.

Have a look at the presentation on C+L's website in which Nigel Burkin demonstrates constructing one of their timbertracks turnouts - you don't need the laser cut timber template - just glue ply timbers on your Templot printout.

Regards.

posted: 4 Feb 2013 16:14

CoBo

North Of The Trent (just) - United Kingdom

wcampbell23 wrote:
Hi Mike

Could you not be persuaded to use ply sleepers and timbering together with plastic chairs?

They do look so much better than soldered rail on to copperclad.

Have a look at the presentation on C+L's website in which Nigel Burkin demonstrates constructing one of their timbertracks turnouts - you don't need the laser cut timber template - just glue ply timbers on your Templot printout.

Regards.

Fiddling with glue and little bits of plastic was never my forte, my eyesight is not what it used to be and my hands are a bit on the 'not so nimble' side so, to be frank, I'm much happier with a soldering iron as the end result is more likely to be stronger and more accurate.

I've been very impressed with the trackwork on Eastwood Town created by Gordon S and, if mine looks half as good as his when finished, I'll be absolutely delighted. Copying his construction methods and materials suits me best given my deficiencies and if I'm not happy with the result then I might have a go at what you suggest.

Thanks for your input

Mike

Last edited on 4 Feb 2013 16:17 by CoBo

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Okay - I'm going to have a go
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020