author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Feb 2013 16:11

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I've had a situation where Templot 2 has locked my PC completely - to the extent that the HDD light is on permanently, the cursor won't move and I can't even Ctrl-Alt-Del so I have to hit the reset button.  This is repeatable and consistent.  The sequence to make this happen is:-

Open Templot using my preferences without loading any previous plan (so still T-55).
Set 1ft grid spacings on trackpad
Use the Num-minus key to give me a visible area of about 24ft by 10ft
Ctrl-S to open shapes dialogue box.
Click at around 0ft by 0ft and at around 16ft by 8ft.
Picture, at clicked location, add shape and browse.
Modify shape, transparent, and scale to 16ft wide by mouse action.
Main, Program panel then Session, project box title, then enter a name.
Session, gauge and scale, S4/P4, OK

It's at this point that everything locks up.  So far, all I've done is to add a background picture, then I attempted to change from T-55 to P4.

There's obviously a few things to try, like not using the default preferences, but can you repeat this, and do you have any specific ideas of what I should try to help you debug this?  I'm about to save the background shapes before changing gauge next, but I'll post this first so I don't lose it all in case it crashes again!

Edit:- it didn't crash!  So, it appears that if I save the background shapes before changing gauge/scale, all is fine.  Does that help? :?
Last edited on 16 Feb 2013 16:13 by Paul Boyd
posted: 16 Feb 2013 16:38

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,

It didn't crash for me. :?

But it did get very slow and clunky because of zooming in on a transparent image -- when you change gauge and scale Templot zooms to fit on the new control template. If a picture shape has been scaled up to 16ft wide, that means you are significantly zooming in on it for a typical P4 turnout 1ft long.

Try turning off the transparent option. On most graphics cards this makes zooming much faster and allows zooming-in much further.

I can't see any reason why saving the file would make any difference. :?

The problem may be related to the T-55 warning trying to pop-up after a few minutes. The docs for picture shapes do emphasize the importance of setting your gauge and scale before working with picture shapes. :)

to the extent that the HDD light is on permanently, the cursor won't move and I can't even Ctrl-Alt-Del so I have to hit the reset button.
That looks to be a hardware problem, rather than software, most likely related to your graphics card. Zooming in too far on a transparent image is always problematic.

Many thanks for reporting it, I will do a bit more digging.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2013 20:27

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply.  I've done a bit more playing, and saving the shapes file first doesn't always prevent the crash so that's a red herring!

The transparency option does definitely seem to be the culprit though - not one crash with transparency turned off!  The last time the crash happened Templot hadn't actually got as far as zooming in to the control template (with a transparent picture) when it all locked up, but perhaps it was just the very thought of zooming in that made it crash :)

Your mention of the graphics card is interesting though!  I do have the latest nVidia drivers, but every now and then opening or closing Firefox causes the drivers to crash, at which point they restart themselves and carry on with a little info box to tell me what just happened.  This seems to be a known problem with Firefox and nVidia drivers but maybe there's something else going on.  The card itself is nothing special - a £25 MSI job.

Oh well - I do usually set gauge and scale first, but for the new project I was faffing about with background shapes first!

Cheers

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Templot locks PC
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020