Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2175Joggles
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Mar 2013 21:47

julia

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides

Can anyone suggest how to make a Joggle - I am not sure if that is the right term for it, but it's the term used in the 2mm scale track book - in a piece of flat bottom rail?
Thanks
J

posted: 11 Mar 2013 22:09

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Julia,

Joggles are not usually made in flat-bottom rail because the rail section is too stiff. Most flat-bottom switches use the chamfered style of planing in which the stock rail is machined:

1679_261348_250000001.jpg1679_261348_250000001.jpg

The above pic from the excellent collection of Michael Davies in the Image Gallery, the large hi-res version is at:

gallery/1679/original/1679_261348_250000001.jpg

Lots more pics at:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery_view.php?user=1679#gallery_top

Chamfered planing looks like this (this diagram is for bullhead rail):
1932_021155_110000000.gif1932_021155_110000000.gif
The problem with chamfered planing is that it is very difficult to do in model form. Almost all model rail section has a significantly over-scale web thickness, which limits the scope for tucking the switch rail under the head of the stock rail. And it is very difficult to make the undercut planed angle on the stock rail head using only hand tools. The angle on the switch rail top, and its height, also need to be precisely matched to the stock rail.

I have never seen a model version of chamfered planing in the smaller scales, although there is always a first time of course. Anyone? :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Mar 2013 02:26

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
As a matter of general interest is the ballast shown in the photographic image limestone?
Thanks.
trustytrev.

posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:14

GeoffJones

Shropshire - United Kingdom

julia wrote:

Can anyone suggest how to make a Joggle - I am not sure if that is the right term for it, but it's the term used in the 2mm scale track book - in a piece of flat bottom rail?
Thanks
J
Hi Julia

Joggle is the term used in my copy of British Railway Track so I think that is a reasonable authority for the the use of the term.

The techniques for making joggles described in the 2mm book, which include using it for FB rail, work well in that scale and I think they would probably work in 4mm scale, although you might need to use a vice rather than pliers to press the rail. It would be easy enough to try as it only requires a few scraps of brass and a short length of rail.

The form of chamfering illustrated by Martin is designed to minimise the removal of steel from the stock rail in order to maintain its strength. Luckily this aspect of rail strength is much less of an issue for modellers so we can use a version where most of the foot of the stock rail is filed away in a simple taper and the switch has a matching taper.

Regards

Geoff

posted: 12 Mar 2013 12:13

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Julia

"Joggle" is a standard engineering term where a double set is introduced into the metal whether it be sheet, bar or section. When I worked in the dockyard as a boilermaker we used joggles in sheet or plate trunking and ducting to allow one piece to slide inside or outside the next section.

Phil

posted: 12 Mar 2013 12:56

Andy Crow

Near Nuneaton - United Kingdom

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
As a matter of general interest is the ballast shown in the photographic image limestone?
Thanks.
trustytrev.

With the colour and sharpness of the individual pieces, it is more likely to be feldspar (granite).

Andy

posted: 12 Mar 2013 17:39

Robert Preston

Wirral - United Kingdom

Andy Crow wrote:

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
Thanks.
trustytrev.

With the colour and sharpness of the individual pieces, it is more likely to be feldspar (granite).

Andy

Don't think it's granite, the grain size is too small. The red colouration looks superficial and could come from rust. The fracture, grain size and greenish tinge makes me wonder if it isn't markfieldite (a microdiorite from Charnwood).

Robert

posted: 12 Mar 2013 20:20

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Don't think it's granite, the grain size is too small. The red colouration looks superficial and could come from rust. The fracture, grain size and greenish tinge makes me wonder if it isn't markfieldite (a microdiorite from Charnwood).

It seems that we all agree on an igneous rock (ie. definitely not limestone). The comment on grain size is a valid point as is the possibility of rust discoloration. Feldspars tend to be pink rather than the orange that I am seeing here which nornally indicates the presence of iron. I would opt for granodiorite in view of some of the darker pieces. Of course identifying rock from a photograph is always tricky and to really confuse things we may actually be looking at a blend.

Glen

posted: 12 Mar 2013 21:11

alan@york

It could be limestone: this does not look very different to what I have seen in quarries (eg Carboniferous limestone in the Avon Gorge). There is also an admixture of other stuff: paper, and gunk, which doesn't help.
Ballast is reused, and there may be admixtures from other wagons.
It is likely to be "local" crushed stone, so if you know the location, a better guess could be made.
alan@york (geologist in a previous career)

posted: 13 Mar 2013 09:54

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
I seem to have opened a can of worms with my question.I suppose the "local" location would have a major bearing on the type of material used due to the quantities involved.I know limestone can be discolored due to iron oxide in the vicinity where the limestone is quarried as that is the case in the NW Lancashire/South Cumbria area where I live.I would imagine quarried material would have been transported by the railway company involve at the time of construction.
trustytrev.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020