topic: 2210Sketchboard
author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 May 2013 11:52

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
When I move a shape, which for me is usually just a simple rectangle, I click on it and I can usually just drag it to the new position, or rotate it as necessary.
Sometimes I seem to need to click on the item, click <Modify item> and then go back to move it, but that always seems to work.
However, when I click on a text box if often does not seem to want to move, even though the handles have appeard.  Sometimes I end up increasing the size to get one corner on the new location and then bringing it back down to the original size as the only way to get it where I want it. 
What am I doing something wrong?
The other problem I have with text is that, even though it was placed over the shape box in the original location, when I move it, it sometimes ends up hidden by the same shape box that it was in front of earlier.   Again - what have I done wrong?
Thanks, Arthur

posted: 2 May 2013 12:29

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

LSWRArt wrote:
When I click on a text box if often does not seem to want to move, even though the handles have appeared. Sometimes I end up increasing the size to get one corner on the new location and then bringing it back down to the original size as the only way to get it where I want it. What am I doing something wrong?
Hi Arthur,

To select text you must click somewhere on the "ink". i.e. for the letter O that means clicking on the ring part, not the space in the middle, nor the gaps between words.

Likewise when you want to drag it, you must click down on the actual "ink", or very close to it.

I know this is a bit of a pain at times, but you should see the mouse pointer change from an arrow to a grab hand when it is over a clickable area.

The other problem I have with text is that, even though it was placed over the shape box in the original location, when I move it, it sometimes ends up hidden by the same shape box that it was in front of earlier. Again - what have I done wrong?
By "shape box" do you mean a sketchboard item, or one of the background shapes from the trackpad?

Before moving items which you want to keep together, it is good idea to combine them. Select both of them (drag a fence round them, or Shift-click each one separately) and then edit > combine items menu item. Then you can move them both in one go.

Even if you don't combine them, if several items are selected they will all move together while they remain selected.

But I can't reproduce your problem. Can you post a simple SK9 file which shows it? Thanks.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 May 2013 13:04

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Thanks Martin
Clicking on the <ink> solves the movement problem.

I enclose two SK9 files.  In the first one, the text <WORKS> is clearly visible. 
Then I drag it and in the 2nd file it has disappeared behind the shape. 
I thought it was on top of the shape before, but perhaps it was always off to the side, or else I cannot find the earlier file.

But the words <GOODS SHED> appear on top of its shape, whereas <WORKS> is behind its shape, so is there a layer command, or what is the difference between these two situations?

Thanks,
Arthur

Attachment: attach_1597_2210_garage_5_x_4,35_continuous_gas_rhs_v2.sk9     238

posted: 2 May 2013 13:05

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Hi Martin
This is the second file with the text <WORKS> hidden.
All the best
Arthur
Attachment: attach_1598_2210_hidden_text_garage_5_x_4,35_continuous_gas_rhs_v2.sk9     245

posted: 2 May 2013 14:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for posting the files. :thumb:

The text item "WORKS" is behind the rectangle in both files. I've been moving it around, but I can't find any way to bring it in front of the rectangle simply by moving it. Are you sure that was the case? :?

To bring it in front, i.e. to change the display order of sketchboard items, click the edit menu:

2_020901_180000000.png2_020901_180000000.png

Select the item and then click pull item forwards repeatedly, or press repeatedly or hold down CTRL-F, until the item appears in front. Or click bring item to front to move it all the way to the front of all other items in one go.

If an item is completely hidden you can't select it, so in that case select the item in front of it and then click push item backwards repeatedly, or press repeatedly or hold down CTRL-B, until the wanted item becomes visible. Or click send item to back.

p.s. you drew the rectangle as a freehand item rather than as an ordinary rectangle item, hence the strange corner. Was that intended?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 May 2013 14:54

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Thanks Martin

I was looking in the menu, not in . Thanks for reminding me where the Push/Pull command is to be found.

The Works rectangle keeps changing shape on successive plans to fit the available space and is just a place-marker at present, as I am still playing around with lots of options before I start to lay the track out more carefully.

Best wishes
Arthur

posted: 2 May 2013 14:56

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Try again...

Thanks Martin

I was looking in the menu, not in . Thanks for reminding me where the Push/Pull command is to be found.

The Works rectangle keeps changing shape on successive plans to fit the available space and is just a place-marker at present, as I am still playing around with lots of options before I start to lay the track out more carefully.

Best wishes
Arthur

posted: 2 May 2013 14:58

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

OK - message does not work if I use the arrow keys either side of text.. It should have read..

Thanks Martin

I was looking in the Modify Items menu, not in Edit. Thanks for reminding me where the Push/Pull command is to be found.

Best wishes
Arthur

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020