posted: 19 Jun 2013 20:57

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Sorry to bother you again. 
Usually I can join two pieces of track together by using f7 and the two pieces of track just jump into alignment when the second piece of track gets anywhere near the first, but...
Suppose I have 3 pieces of track all in line (actually 2 points with a straight piece of track in between). 
I slightly reposition point 1 (the left one) and want to re-align the other two pieces of track with this, so I move the peg (red circle) onto the end of the point 1 nearest the plain piece of track and move the notch (white square) onto this peg. 
I now change control to the plain piece of track and move it using f7.  I make sure that the red peg is on the end of the plain track nearest point 1 and I therefore expect it to jump into alignment with the notch on point 1, but often the peg and notch jump to the other end of the plain piece of track and it just keeps aligning the plain track and point 2. 
I do not know why the notch and peg do not stay where I have put them?.
I can always get around the problem by moving point 2 completely away and then join the plain track to point 1.  if there is not another piece of track nearby this works OK.  Then I make point 2 the control and  join this to the plain track.
Is there a way to align the 3 pieces of track without doing this?
Thanks, Arthur

Attachment: attach_1612_2233_f7_problem_demo_19June13.box     245

posted: 19 Jun 2013 22:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Arthur,

F7 snapping is intended mainly for beginners who have arrived at Templot from other track planning software and know nothing about the peg and notch functions.

The snapping function takes no regard of the current peg and notch positions, and in fact uses them itself to make the connection, as you found.

There are several ways round your problem, depending on what you are trying to do.

1. A quick fix is to disable snapping for the "wrong" background template -- click on it, then on its pop-up menu click F7 snapping > disable snapping for this template menu option.

2. The most usual way is to use the fixed snapping functions instead of F7:
a. put the peg on the desired end of the control template.

b. click on the background turnout template.

c. on its pop-up menu, click peg/align tools > snap the control template onto the background template > at... menu items. If you are not sure which position is required, just use trial and error until you get what you want. Most likely it will be at the CTRL-0, CTRL-6, or CTRL-8 positions. 
3. An alternative way of working would be to delete the existing plain track template. Extend the approach track (F3) or the exit track (F4) on one of the turnouts until it reaches the other turnout. If it doesn't align (because of a change of radius) split it off as a separate plain track template (tools > make split > menu items), and then curve it into alignment as required (F6).

4. If you are happy using the peg and notch functions, use them directly to join the two templates, there is no need to use F7.

5. You can prevent unwanted snapping by holding down the SHIFT key while using F7.

6. You can disable all snapping by unticking the action > F7 snap options > snap on background templates menu item.

7. If a template repeatedly snaps at the wrong end, temporarily shorten it (F4) while you snap it into position, and lengthen it again afterwards.

8. F7 snapping looks for snap connections by searching the template list in the storage box, and connects to the first one it finds. You can control which template that is by moving the required template to a higher position (lower number) in the storage box (brown up-down buttons).

9. An alternative way of doing what you want may be to move a group into alignment, using the notch linking functions.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jun 2013 09:23

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Thanks Martin
That is all clear and I can choose whichever of the options is best at the time.
All the best, Arthur

posted: 20 Jun 2013 12:01

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Arthur,

I omitted to mention what may actually have been the quickest fix in that situation -- you can prevent snapping for individual background templates.

If you get nuisance snapping on the "wrong" background template, click on it, then on its pop-up menu click F7 snapping > disable snapping for this template menu option.

Remember to enable it again afterwards if you think you will need it later.

I have edited my previous reply to include this.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jun 2013 18:40

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Thanks Martin,
There is so much built into the software to solve almost any problem one can think of.
Best wishes, Arthur

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > use of F7 to automatically join two pieces of track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020