topic: 224Printing using an HP DJ 90r Printer with a roll feed option
author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Nov 2007 23:56

Rextanka

Scotts Valley - California USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I hope this will be useful. This is the method I used to print out Fremington North on a HP DeskJet Printer with a roll feed option. This allows the print to be done on a single sheet if it's less than 18" wide and minimises the number of sheets needed. I hope this is useful to anyone with access to such a printer.

My HP Printer is connected to an 802.1 (Ethernet) network via an HP JetDirect en3700 USB Network adapter. I made sure that I could print to this from my PC prior to starting this process. I also calibrated the printer with Templot and the roll paper installed in the printer, but with the paper size set to A4.

Launch Templot version 0.91.b
Load the box file you want to print
If your drawing is not based at the origin and you want to minimise the number of passes needed to print then determine where the origin needs to be for printing.
The Jotter • X-Y read out is handy for this. Right click and from the popup that appears select "jotter • X-Y read-out"

Make a note of the bottom left of your track plan and use this to determine the new origin to be used for printing.
For me this measurement was 30x149. You'll also need the rightmost dimension mine was 2354

What I decided to do was to create a custom page size, the length of the layout.

select print->printer setup
In the dialog that appears (the WinXP "Print Setup" dialog) ensure your roll fed printer is selected
Click the properties button next to the printer name
Click the Paper/Quality Tab
In the paper options pane under the "Size Is:" popup, click the "Custom..." button
I made the width of the paper the width of the roll, the length to be 2360mm to allow some slop
This will get saved in "Custom 1" there is no way to name the custom paper size on WinXP
Click OK
Now in the Paper Options there will be Custom 1 as the Size, and Source is set to Roll, Type to Coated Paper.
C;lick OK to dismiss the properties dialog and ok again to dismiss the Print setup dialog

Templot will ask the printer type via the "impact printer ?" Dialog Box
Click the "no - ink-jet / laser / virtual printer" button
Templot will ask for calibration. Load the previously created calibration for the printer and the loaded roll (if you didn't do this, remember to se the paper size back to A4 or you'll waste a lot of paper)

select print->entire pad options->omit the control template
select print->page orientation / origin->set page origin...
In the "set page origin - mm or number of pages?" dialog box click the mm button
A data entry dialog box is shown enter the page origin noted above (in my case it was 30x149)
A dotted purple line will be drawn around your track to indicate the page boundaries.

If you did everything above correctly then then your track fits nicely inside the box. If not check your calculations and data entry.

you are now ready to print

select print->print entire pad (Ctrl+F11)
The "print entire pad (omitting the control template) Dialog Box will be displayed, along with a view of what will be printed on the custom page you set up
Click the print all remaining pages button
You document will print on the roll paper

for completeness here is what I did initially, this will result in a number of (large) sheets being printed. However with a roll printer it is possible to print the entire length of the layout, as described above

select print -> banner/roll paper
In the "Confirm" Dialog Box that appears, select the button "OK = printer set up for banner paper"
The Windows XP "Print Setup" Dialog Box is displayed. Make sure the correct printer is selected, in my case "HP Designjet 90r"
Make sure the orientation is set to Portrait.
Click the "Properties" button to the right of the "Name:" popup where your printer name is displayed. You will need to ensure the print driver is set to the width of the roll paper.
Note that some margin might be required on your printer unless it is mechanically capable of full bleed printing (edge to edge).
Click the "Paper/Quality" tab. This is an HP specific dialog (not part of WinXP).
I made a "Print Task Quick Set" for Templot with the following settings
The Roll width for this printer is 18".
In the "Paper Options" part of the dialog set the paper size ("Size Is:") to "Super C/A2" which is 18"x24"
I set "Source Is:" to "Roll"
I set "Type Is:" to "Coated Paper"
I set "Print Quality:" to best - this uses more ink so if you are doing drafts you can choose the lowest setting
Check other options are ask required and click OK
Templot's "impact printer ? ... " Dialog Box is shown
Choose "no - ink jet / laser / virtual printer"
If you get the "printer not calibrated" dialog box, load a calibration file for the printer. I strongly suggest doing this prior to settung up for banner printing to minimise the amount of paper used, I calibrated the printer with the paper size set to A4 (but using the roll paper that was installed) the printer's cutter will cut off the page at the appropriate length.
Load calibration from file as needed

select print->entire pad options->omit the control template
select print->page orientation / origin->set page origin...
In the "set page origin - mm or number of pages?" dialog box click the mm button
A data entry dialog box is shown enter the page origin noted above (in my case it was 30x149)
A dotted purple line will be drawn around your track to indicate the page boundaries.

The purple line will appear to extend past the right hand side of your track plan, don't worry about this, this does not actually show what will get printed.

select print->print entire pad (Ctrl+F11)
The "print entire pad on banner paper (omitting the control template) Dialog Box will be displayed, along with a view of what will be printed on Super C pages.

posted: 8 Nov 2007 03:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Rextanka wrote:
there is no way to name the custom paper size on WinXP
Hi Nick,

In WindowsXP a paper size is called a "form". You can create named custom "forms" which will show up in the paper size list for any printers which can support that size of output.

To create a custom form:

From the taskbar go to Start > Control Panel > Printers and Faxes.

Click the File > Server Properties menu item.

Tick the Create a form box.

Enter a new Form name (make sure you do this, or you might be inadvertently changing the sizes of an existing form).

Enter the required paper size and margins.

Click the Save Form button (don't just click OK).

Click the Close button.

Now for any modern printers which have a proper XP driver (not some older printers), if the paper size is within their capabilities your new form name will appear in the paper size list.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Nov 2007 04:25

Rextanka

Scotts Valley - California USA

Thanks Martin, that's really useful, I'll give it a try in the next day or so.

All the best

Nick

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Printing using an HP DJ 90r Printer with a roll feed option
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020