author remove search highlighting

posted: 7 Nov 2007 01:20

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Marin,
I have just read the history and origin of Templot. This is a very interesting story and it clears my old question about the name of this program. For the pipeline I have one additional item: how about a printable easement template? It could be printed and transferred to a piece of cardstock or more durable material and cut out. This template should have markings along a transition curve, which shows the actual radius at this point, and the adjoining offset to the centerline of the tangent. This offset is for accurate determining the center of the circular curve. I see I can have each easement printed individually. However there is no computer in the room where the layout is under construction, and with a “universal easement template” I can play around to find the most pleasing solution.

Regards,
René.  

posted: 7 Nov 2007 01:59

Bruce Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Model Railroader magazine has such beasties in PDF format on their web pages.  Go to

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=290

for the article and links to download the PDFs.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario

posted: 8 Nov 2007 07:32

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

renluethi wrote:
how about a printable easement template?
Hi René,

I'm not too sure what you are asking for -- you can easily print easement (transition curve) templates now. You can print them as track centre-lines only if you prefer. You can set up whatever length of transition you require, or print a selection of transition curve templates. This one reduces from straight to 750mm radius, in a length of 1000mm:

rad_at_peg.pngrad_at_peg.png

You can find the radius at any position along the transition by moving the peg along it (CTRL+F8 mouse action). A convenient reference to the printed template would be to record the radius at each rail joint, which you can do by jumping the peg along the joints using CTRL+END keys.

Here's a short scruff video showing how to do that, and record the results on the jotter:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/rad_at_peg.exe

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Nov 2007 02:41

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for this link. I was not aware that there are such templates. I have only a small problem with them – I am unable to print them if enlarged to 200 % as needed. I have one end and with turning 180° I can print the other end, but I am unable to print the middle part in the pdf format.
Regards
René.

posted: 10 Nov 2007 02:57

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

Hi Martin,

Thank you for this hint and the demonstrative video. I think this will work for me. I set the grid to 20 mm and with the method shown in the video I have the different radii at the grid lines and on the print out I can measure the corresponding offset.
Great help as ever!

Regards,
René

posted: 10 Nov 2007 03:38

Bruce Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Not sure what you are using to look at the templates but I know in Acrobat (probably Acrobat Reader as well) you have the option to print the current view.  You can use this feature to print off the different sections of the template and then cut and paste them together.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario

posted: 12 Nov 2007 03:18

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

Hi Bruce,
I would print the actual page right at the beginning, but to my surprise it did not work. When I had the middle part of the template on the screen and liked to print this picture, the printer started and was busy like always when printing, but what the printer shoved out was an absolutely blank paper. After lots of midnight grease I could finally print this template. I had to import the file and open it in one other program.
Thank you for your efforts.

Regards
René.

posted: 14 Nov 2007 19:23

Peter Salathiel

Bangkok - Thailand

Martin Wynne wrote:
You can find the radius at any position along the transition by moving the peg along it (CTRL+F8 mouse action). A convenient reference to the printed template would be to record the radius at each rail joint, which you can do by jumping the peg along the joints using CTRL+END keys.

Here's a short scruff video showing how to do that, and record the results on the jotter:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/rad_at_peg.exe

Hi Martin,

Please keep the videos coming. They are not only painless (unlike manuals)  but they are an excellent way to learn the finer points of your great creation. Temlot never ceases to amaze me. Great stuff. Thak you.

Best Regards

Peter

posted: 14 Nov 2007 20:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Peter Salathiel wrote:
Please keep the videos coming. They are not only painless (unlike manuals)  but they are an excellent way to learn the finer points of your great creation. Templot never ceases to amaze me. Great stuff. Thank you.
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind words. The problem with the videos is that they are getting scruffier and scruffier. :(  It takes only a few minutes to record some screen activity, and it's often the best way to answer a query on the forum. But it can take hours to edit out all the fumbles, join clips together, add captions and notes, etc., so I tend to leave them scruffy. I can only dream of the polished video tutorials I see on some other sites. With full sound commentary!

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Universal easement template
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020