topic: 2256llanastr mawr
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Jul 2013 16:13

Nick Edgcombe

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

Is there any way in which i can alter the gauge from EM to 18.83? I do realise that the above plan is a few years old but am hoping to have a stab at building a small layout to test my skills at the proper? gauge!!!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks in advance,

Nick.

posted: 12 Jul 2013 16:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Nick,

.box files from 074b should load in Templot2 without problems.

To change a track plan to a different gauge or scale:

First select all the templates as a group (CTRL+A). Then go to the full gauges list (gauge > other gauges... menu item). Select the new gauge/scale setting you want on the list, or create a custom setting. Then click the convert group button at the top of the dialog.

If you are converting between the exact-scale gauges, e.g. from P4 to S7, the conversion should be fine. :)

For other conversions there's a bit of a snag. :(   If you change the gauge:scale ratio, for example going from EM to P4, it is mathematically impossible to make a perfect conversion of an entire track plan. Each template will be correctly converted, but the lead lengths of turnout and half-diamond templates will change, and as a result you may find some slight gaps or overlaps between the templates which will need tidying up after doing the conversion.

However, often the amount of adjustment needed is small, and much quicker than starting again from scratch.

Plain track templates should always convert ok.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Jul 2013 17:13

Nick Edgcombe

Martin,
Many thanks for the speedy reply. It's a plan that i felt is just right for a 1 bed flat!!!!! I shall have a look at it again over the weekend:D
Once again many thanks,
Nick.

posted: 12 Jul 2013 22:28

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Nick

Llanastr Mawr (assuming you're referring to Iain Rice's plan) is tight in P4.  Oddly, I tidied up my version of this just a couple of weeks or so ago - you're welcome to the attached box file.  I think I decided that on the off-chance that I might actually build it, I would prefer to add a couple of feet to stretch it out a bit.  However, my tiny two-bed flat might suit the plan as drawn better!

Cheers
Attachment: attach_1626_2256_llanastr_mawr_2013_06_23_1942_09.box     324

posted: 13 Jul 2013 07:45

Nick Edgcombe

Paul,
Many thanks for that. Just what the doctor ordered!!!! I will be only using 0-4-4 and 0-6-0 tank locos so it should be ok.If it were to be stretched in which way would it be done? Once again many thanks for that,
Cheers,
Nick

posted: 14 Jul 2013 15:56

Paul Boyd

Hi Nick
If it were to be stretched in which way would it be done?
Crudely!  If you've scanned in the plan to the correct scale, try modifying the picture shape by moving corner 2 in the X direction only to stretch it - I found about 8ft was a good length.  You then have to start the layout all over again :D

Cheers

posted: 14 Jul 2013 17:09

Nick Edgcombe

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Nick
If it were to be stretched in which way would it be done?
Crudely!  If you've scanned in the plan to the correct scale, try modifying the picture shape by moving corner 2 in the X direction only to stretch it - I found about 8ft was a good length.  You then have to start the layout all over again :D

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Yeah right!!!! I just downloaded the box file and printed it out!!!! I am one of those people who are computer illiterate ( Big time) and it would fly over my head!!!!

Anyway many thanks for the plan, I shall have a play and see what turns up!!!

Cheers Nick.

posted: 14 Jul 2013 17:13

Nick Edgcombe

Martin,
I did the first bit ok but for the life of me cannot find "convert group" button!!!! I must eat a few more carrots or go to the advertised opticians!!!!
Sorry to bother you with a trivial matter.
Thanks in advance.
Nick.

posted: 14 Jul 2013 17:26

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

The trick to realise with Llanastr Mawr is that the far right turnout is in fact left handed with contra-flexture and not a right handed as you might first suppose.

Alan

posted: 14 Jul 2013 17:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Nick Edgcombe wrote:
for the life of me cannot find "convert group" button!!!!
Hi Nick,

Click gauge > other gauges... menu item. Then you see this:

2_221511_090000000.png2_221511_090000000.png

Select the required gauge in the list and then click the button.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Jul 2013 19:12

Paul Boyd

Hi Alan
The trick to realise with Llanastr Mawr is that the far right turnout is in fact left handed with contra-flexture and not a right handed as you might first suppose.

That would be the correct way to do it - I chose not to at the time :D

I first had a go at this in 2004 so wasn't quite there with all the subtleties of things!  Looking at it again now, there are still a few things to tidy up - last month's tidying really just took advantage of Templot 2's irregular diamond feature, but the slip isn't finished yet - there are still rails crossing flangeways.

Anyway, I have now changed it to a LH turnout...  and tweaked a few other bits...  and there's some horrible timbering going on in places...  not to mention a missing centre crossing...  I think I must have got distracted by something else with this one :D
Last edited on 14 Jul 2013 19:15 by Paul Boyd
posted: 14 Jul 2013 21:44

Nick Edgcombe

Hi Martin,
Just a quick one to say many thanks for the pointer!!! No pun intended.
It's easy when you know so will try and remember for next time. It looks like i'll have to play with the templates when they're printed.
Once again many thanks to all who have helped in this matter.
Nick:thumb:

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020