author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Jul 2013 14:22

LPL

New Berlin - USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
All;

After reading up on the subject, I'd like to up load a few drawings I've made in Templot 2.

Civil engineering practice is used here.  All in feet and inches and the scale used is P87.

I'll start with this one and ask for help.  What I'm trying to do here is add a track inside the existing one, 14 ft. from the track drawn, 'at the tangents', while keeping the track speed at 45 mph..

I would like to try to figure something like that out, but then, putting an unbalanced cant on the inside curve is 'doable' as well.

See attached and let me know what you think.

Luis Leistikow

New Berlin, Wi.
USA
Attachment: attach_1635_2274_2_Deg.,_45_mph,_Curve_With_248'_Easements_90_Deg._C_of_D.box     315

posted: 29 Jul 2013 15:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Luis,

Your 90o curve can be done with 2 templates rather than 3, if you wish. Starting with the first transition template, set its length to 45o:

geometry > swing angles (in degrees)... menu item.

Then put the fixing peg at the far end (CTRL-1), and

tools > make mirror on peg menu item.

Templot can create double track at 14ft centres and create the required transition curves for you. For each template, delete to the control and then:

tools > adjacent track centres... and set 49mm (14 x 3.5mm).

tools > make double-track TS menu item.

Choose the option for automatic adjust.

store and background (INSERT key).

2_290955_500000000.png2_290955_500000000.png

File attached below.

(I have changed to FB rails for USA practice so that the printed templates show the rail foot edges.)

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_1636_2274_luis_curve.box     286

posted: 31 Jul 2013 23:09

LPL

New Berlin - USA

Martin;

Thanks for drawing that one up.  I think that is fantastic.  I have done just that myself as well.  'Mirroring' does seem to speed things up though.  I'll try it.  

I still would like to know if track plans and their background images can be up loaded in a message.   If you would, please, let me know how.

Luis Leistikow

New Berlin, Wi.

USA     

posted: 31 Jul 2013 23:36

Martin Wynne

LPL wrote:
I still would like to know if track plans and their background images can be up loaded in a message. If you would, please, let me know how.
Hi Luis,

Sure. :)

Such files are called "attachments". Below the area where you type replies, you will see a button labelled "Browse" or "Choose File" or similar (browsers vary). If you click that button you can then select the required file on your computer.

You can have only one attached file in each message, so if you need to upload more files simply reply again with another message. (You must type at least one word in each message.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Aug 2013 12:27

LPL

New Berlin - USA

Martin, two more things here;

I'd like to ask, is there a way to up an attachment that contains both the track plan and the background image to the same message or do you have to start a separate message for each, the track plan on one message and a second message displaying the map scan I used?

Secondly, 'FB', I didn't know there is a difference.  I've been opening up T'2 and setting the scale for P87 and working from there. After looking around a while, and not finding anything, I'd like to know how you did that. If it will make a difference in the templates I will use on a scale railroad, I think I do that from now on. And, should I convert what I've done so far?

Luis Leistikow

New Berlin, Wi.
USA

posted: 1 Aug 2013 14:35

Martin Wynne

LPL wrote:
I'd like to ask, is there a way to upload an attachment that contains both the track plan and the background image to the same message or do you have to start a separate message for each,  the track plan on one message and a second message displaying the map scan I used?
Hi Luis,

If you simply want to illustrate your message, you can take a screenshot image of the trackpad -- output > make a trackpad screenshot... menu item. Then use the Upload new image for insertion button just above the message typing area.

If you want to provide files for others to use, you must post them as attachments. There are 3 files needed, .box file containing the track templates, .bgs file containing the picture dimensions, and .sk81 file containing the actual image. Only one attachment is possible on each message, so you need to post 3 messages. You will find the sk81 file in the same folder as your bgs file.

For example see my messages here:

topic 2277 - message 15170

Alternatively you could zip them all into a single file, if you have zipping software.

Secondly, 'FB', I didn't know there is a difference. I've been opening up T'2 and setting the scale for P87 and working from there. After looking around a while, and not finding anything, I'd like to know how you did that. If it will make a difference in the templates I will use on a scale railroad, I think I do that from now on. And, should I convert what I've done so far?
Traditional UK track used bullhead rail section supported in heavy chair castings. Modern UK track uses flat-bottom rail (as does most of the rest of the world):

2_130841_170000000.png2_130841_170000000.png

Templot defaults to bullhead rail, as this corresponds to the vast majority of hand-built model track in the UK.

If you are modelling flat-bottom track it is very helpful to have the rail foot edges shown on the templates, otherwise the model rail foot obscures the rail lines. It's important to set up the rail section dimensions to reflect accurately the model rail section which you are using. Click the rail section data... menu item (see below).

To change the control template to flat-bottom rails (FB), click the real > rails > head and foot (flat-bottom rails) menu option (A below). To change existing background templates, all the settings in this sub-menu are now available as a modify on rebuild option -- click the modify group to match menu item (B):

2_090523_110000000.png2_090523_110000000.png

Note that you won't see any change on the trackpad, apart from these indicators -- FB is flat-bottom rails, BH is bullhead rails:

2_130700_220000000.png2_130700_220000000.png

2_130701_070000000.png2_130701_070000000.png

The rail-foot edge lines will appear only on the output, and only for background templates, and only in detail mode, like this:
2_090505_030000000.png2_090505_030000000.png

The foot infill colour is temporarily using the same colour setting as for the control template -- output > output drawing options > rail infill colours... > menu items.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > 2 deg., 45 mph. curve.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020