click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
    looking for help? -                         enjoy using Templot? -
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > File preview
Templot web site

Rating     File preview
  Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page      
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 14 Feb 2014 18:58
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi MartinI have dozens or maybe hundreds of box files and when I want to see what I did in a particular file to see if I've done something similar before I have to wade through loading into Templot looking, discarding, loading,,,,,
Many applications have the ability to look at files without loading is this feasible in Templot. Appreciate it may not be easy but if you could take a look, I would be grateful.
Cheers Godders

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 14 Feb 2014 19:18
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Godders,

How would you see this working?

I can't see an obvious way to see what's in a .box file without loading it. :?

For new .box files we could perhaps include a screenshot of the trackpad, or a list of the storage box contents, or both, in the .box file for use by a "preview" function. And of course you can always set a meaningful file name, or put them in meaningful folders. But none of that is much help if you already have hundreds of anonymous .box files.

A possible new function would be "next file" in which Templot reloads the next file in a folder on a single click or keypress?

regards,

Martin.

3rd message | this message only posted: 14 Feb 2014 20:01
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Thank you for your rapid response. I will try and describe what to me would be useful.
If I use Windows explorer and select a file then depending on which option I have chosen the image appears to the right of the files and is "zoomable". This applies to .png, .jpg and .dwg files at least.

Cheers Godders

PS it also works for .txt files

4th message | this message only posted: 15 Feb 2014 14:06
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hello,
If you included the date in file names you could see the earliest or final version of a particular file name.You could always look at a files properties in explorer to find the date of last modified status to start putting them in some meaningful order.Assuming you are using Windows.I sometimes just reload the box files by Going to storage box and reload and replace existing contents.If you have particular versions including a date in the name it is really simple to keep track .(No pun intended) :)

Trevor

5th message | this message only posted: 15 Feb 2014 14:48
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Trevor,
It's not enough. I already have 50 sub folders under templot_dev>box-files>.As you know the date and time is automatically appended to the filename, so it is not the chronological order that is the problem.What I would like to be able to see is what modification I made to each version of a file. For example I may draw a complete layout and then in the next version I may change say two turnouts for a double slip. My memory is not and never has been good enough to retain this amount of detail for each file, particularly as I may have in excess of 1000 files over a period of almost 4 years.As I explained above the facility is available for many types of file, but not for .box files.I'm not holding a gun to Martin's head, it's just that I would find it helpful.I would also find it helpful to annotate a whole Templot file by putting text notes at particular points of interest.
Sorry Trevor now look what you've made me do, branch off the subject, I feel such a heel but it is just another point.
BTW, looks from your screen dumps that you may be working in 00-SF, good choice.
Cheers Godders

6th message | this message only posted: 15 Feb 2014 18:05
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:I already have 50 sub folders under templot_dev>box-files>
I may have in excess of 1000 files over a period of almost 4 years.
Hi Godders,

Good grief! :shock: :)

It's an interesting feature request, and with that many files to sort through I can see why you need it.

But it's not simple. The only program which can make any sense of a .box file is Templot -- Windows can't do it by itself. In order to integrate such a feature into Windows Explorer it would be necessary either to include a screenshot image within the .box file (which would work only for new files, not your existing 1000 files); or else to write an OLE version of Templot which can draw the box contents on a supplied canvas. Neither of these is straightforward, and would almost certainly have issues with different versions of Windows. Also, Windows Explorer is not available to users on Crossover/Wine on Linux and Mac computers.

It would however be possible to write a "file viewer" function within Templot itself. So that you could select a folder and then have a trackpad screenshot appear alongside each file in a scrollable list, with some options to zoom in on them.

It's not a 5-minute task, so before embarking on it I need a few more expressions of interest. I will put my own hand up, because I too have a large number of .box files accumulated over many years and it would be very useful. :)

I would also find it helpful to annotate a whole Templot file by putting text notes at particular points of interest. At present you can add and edit a memo text note of any length to any template, which is then included in the file. For notes about the entire box, you could perhaps add them to the memo notes for the first template. Or maybe create a dummy template called say "notes" simply to contain the notes:

The memo can be added and edited to the control template before it is stored, or you can add/edit the memo notes for any template on the storage box at edit > edit memo notes... menu item.

You can print or PDF a list of all the memo notes in a file at box > print template info > memo notes only menu item.

I will look at an option to have the memo notes displayed on the trackpad immediately below the template name label. It's going to look very messy unless zoomed in, but it could be turned on and off as required.

If you wanted fully annotated screenshots with formatted and coloured text, you could use the sketchboard to add such text items to the trackplan, and save an .sk9 sketchboard file. The notes could include the .box file name for reference, and the memo note in the first template could specify the .sk9 file name.

regards,

Martin.

7th message | this message only posted: 15 Feb 2014 20:26
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Godfrey Earnshaw wrote: Hi Trevor,
It's not enough. I already have 50 sub folders under templot_dev>box-files>. I may have in excess of 1000 files over a period of almost 4 years
Hello Godfrey,
                     I guess you don't like or bother with computer games either :D
Yes 00-SF is the path I am following.
Best wishes.
Trevor.

8th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 07:26
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Martin,Contain yourself, religious outbursts, what next you're not dealing with Jim S-W. I can assure you I am a supporter of yours, I love the work you do and your logic. However, back to the points in hand.The last thing I want to do is create loads of work for you and although I would appreciate what I have suggested being implemented, I won't come to any harm if it's not.I had thought it may be a simple extension of what already exists in Windows. That is my ignorance of this level of programming.
As for the notes issue; the moment I mentioned it to Trevor I went back into Templot and tried a few things that you later suggested in your reply again I can live with that.
After three and a half years of using Templot I still have a lot to learn so I won't be idle waiting for any new features.
BTW I think you should register Templot with the Health Authorities as a Notifiable Disease with symptoms similar to a skin allergy that continuously makes you want to scratch.
Cheers Godders

9th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 07:41
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Trevor Walling wrote: Godfrey Earnshaw wrote: Hi Trevor,
It's not enough. I already have 50 sub folders under templot_dev>box-files>. I may have in excess of 1000 files over a period of almost 4 years
Hello Godfrey,
                     I guess you don't like or bother with computer games either :D
Yes 00-SF is the path I am following.
Best wishes.
Trevor.
Hello to you too Trevor,Perfectly correct, can't abide computer games.I presume you're using the word path as in "the chosen way". Such a lot of religious phrases today. Yes, 00-SF, the practical answer to modelling in 00. At least it is a set of standards based on a well tried and tested way, EM gauge, without the hassle of changing all those wheelsets.

Must rush, got to get to Brighton for the half-marathon, no, not me, my son is into that sort of nonsense. Don't know why he can't get a decent hobby, like his father. You try to bring up your children with good values and most of them stray off the straight and narrow and become athletes.
Cheers Godders

10th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 11:55
Simon Dunkley
Oakham, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Hi Trevor,
It's not enough. I already have 50 sub folders under templot_dev>box-files>.As you know the date and time is automatically appended to the filename, so it is not the chronological order that is the problem.What I would like to be able to see is what modification I made to each version of a file. For example I may draw a complete layout and then in the next version I may change say two turnouts for a double slip. My memory is not and never has been good enough to retain this amount of detail for each file, particularly as I may have in excess of 1000 files over a period of almost 4 years.

You can always add some text to the file name before saving it...
It can be in abbreviated form, eg DS for double slip, etc.

Simon

11th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 11:59
Simon Dunkley
Oakham, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:

what next you're not dealing with Jim S-W.

Not sure what that's about - and I don't want or need to know - but one of the things I appreciate about the Templot forum is that we are free of "personality clashes", so can we keep such comments out of things, please?

Simon

12th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 12:43
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Simon Dunkley wrote: Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:

what next you're not dealing with Jim S-W.

Not sure what that's about - and I don't want or need to know - but one of the things I appreciate about the Templot forum is that we are free of "personality clashes", so can we keep such comments out of things, please?

Simon
Hi Simon,If you don't know the context how can you judge it to be a personality clash. I didn't realise you were a moderator but even if you are I expect the person to whom the comment was directed to reply and I would suggest by getting involved that you are creating an incident when none existed.
As for your previous post, I have tried that approach but I often had more changes than could be easily described in a few words in a filename.
Cheers Godders

13th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 13:14
Simon Dunkley
Oakham, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I am not a moderator: I just believe in free speech and moderate behaviour. It may not be a personality clash, it may just be personal: I was trying to use neutral language. Neither am I trying to create an incident, just observing that a comment seemed to include a personal barb and expressing a preference against them. Not knowing the context of the remark, I took it at face value, I.e. Something which seems to be a personal and derogatory slight. It may have been a humorous remark, but I could not see any sign of humour in it.

As for keeping track of what you did when, may I suggest pen and paper, with a few notes, or a simple document if you prefer it electronically, recording the changes you made? A pain in the proverbials until you get used toot, but version control of documents is commonplace nowadays.

Apologies if I misread you.

Simon

14th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 13:42
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Simon Dunkley wrote: I am not a moderator: I just believe in free speech and moderate behaviour. It may not be a personality clash, it may just be personal: I was trying to use neutral language. Neither am I trying to create an incident, just observing that a comment seemed to include a personal barb and expressing a preference against them. Not knowing the context of the remark, I took it at face value, I.e. Something which seems to be a personal and derogatory slight. It may have been a humorous remark, but I could not see any sign of humour in it.

As for keeping track of what you did when, may I suggest pen and paper, with a few notes, or a simple document if you prefer it electronically, recording the changes you made? A pain in the proverbials until you get used toot, but version control of documents is commonplace nowadays.

Apologies if I misread you.

Simon
Simon,

You could be right, this is not an excuse, it's offered as a reason. I am a Yorkshireman and have travelled extensively and have a skin as thick as a rhinoceros . It seems that in a lot of places the "Yorkshire wit" is too caustic. I know Martin only through what I have read here and in other forums and as I stated earlier I have a great admiration for him and particularly this project. I have also read "the other guy" and have also met him. He also is a very pleasant, knowledgeable and skillful man. So it was not meant to be derogatory to either of them. However, I realise I shall have to be more careful about my comments if they may lead to any misunderstanding .

Now to answer your notes suggestion. I have worked in a documented environment all my working life and always regarded it as primitive and prone to error to keep hand written notes. As computers developed, I also developed better semi-automated ways of keeping documents up to date.  I feel I have better things to do with my time when it can be done automatically. Martin has given us version control from the point of view that the .box files are date stamped. I have asked him for two things that would make my life easier, drawing preview and notes on the Templot trackpad. I also realise he is a busy man and as I explained to him I thought they might be easy to implement. They are not and I can accept that, it was just a suggestion.

No harm done I hope

Cheers Godders

15th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 14:24
Simon Dunkley
Oakham, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I am married to a Yorkshirewoman: nuff sed!

I agree that your suggestions were nice to haves: I don't have as many subdirectories as you, and I did go back and do a lot of pruning of box files, too, but keeping track of everything is a trial at times - for which I have only myself to blame.

Simon

16th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 19:45
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Hi Martin,Contain yourself, religious outbursts, what next you're not dealing with Jim S-W. I can assure you I am a supporter of yours, I love the work you do and your logic.
Hi Godders,

You have rather lost me there, but thanks for the kind words. :?  Is the blank quote an example of my logic? :D

Jim Smith-Wright is building an impressive P4 model of Birmingham New Street in the 1980s. He is not a member here because he prefers to use a CAD package on his Mac computer for the track design. I'm not sure where he fits into this topic? We can both do a good outburst, but I'm not sure about being religious. :)

Simon, there are no moderators and no rules on Templot Club. It's been running that way for nearly 15 years now without any trouble, so I intend to keep it that way.

Reverting to the actual subject of a file preview, I am going to implement something along these lines, if only because I need it myself. It can't be done in Windows Explorer, and even if it could I wouldn't want to because I want Templot to work as fully as possible under Wine on Linux/Mac computers.

Instead I will make a file viewer function within Templot itself.

It will take a while to do, but in the meantime you may like to add a dummy template with the name "read me" to your .box files, and add any notes about the file to its memo notes. I suggest making it a short centre-line-only background template, so that you can easily access it to read/edit the notes (edit memo notes is on the pop-up menu for a background template). Short means say 25mm -- enough to see and click on. Don't place it too far from the tracks, otherwise it will cause a blank page to be printed.

I will display the memo notes for this template as a mouse-over in the file viewer, and add a confirm dialog if a user attempts to delete a template with the name "read me".

regards,

Martin. 

17th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 20:48
Jim S-W
Solihull / Brierley Hill, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I am a member Martin but I don't visit much.

It's not that I prefer something over templot it's that it won't run on my pre-historic mac and I already had and knew how to use illustrator.

Simple as that

Cheers

Jim

18th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 21:09
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Jim S-W wrote: I am a member Martin but I don't visit much.Sorry Jim, I should have checked the list.

You are very welcome to visit as often as you wish, using Templot or not. :)

regards,

Martin.

19th message | this message only posted: 16 Feb 2014 22:41
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

The reference to "religious outbursts" was the "Good Heavens". Which I found rather an understatement and was being a little ironic as I watch with amusement your "battles" with Jim at various times.

The blank box is there because I did a "Reply with quote" so I could keep it in view but then found I couldn't remove the box, so deleted all the text instead only to find that when I took out the quotation marks it imported text from below.

Look forward to the file viewer and thanks for the advice on memo notes.

Cheers Godders

20th message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 04:29
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:The reference to "religious outbursts" was the "Good Heavens".Hi Godders,

How many are there? Heavens I mean. Are there some bad ones? I didn't realise I was being religious, so to make sure we keep our feet on the ground I have changed it to "Good grief". :)

Martin.

21st message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 06:24
Matt M.
Australia

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

As a "Peanuts" worshiper, I feel that "Good grief" could
be an issue to others like myself out there.

Maybe "To infinity and beyond"… no that will also cause
problems.

Perhaps "May the force..". No. The Jedi set would be offended.
Plus the lawsuit.

Good grief this is hard.

Damn. :)

Matt M.

22nd message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 07:38
Jim S-W

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
Jim S-W wrote: I am a member Martin but I don't visit much.Sorry Jim, I should have checked the list.

You are very welcome to visit as often as you wish, using Templot or not. :)

regards,

Martin.

Thanks Martin

As I don't use templot (or indeed have even seen anything other than screen grabs) I doubt I can offer much/anything. Even my prototype knowledge just comes down to copying what I see with no real understanding.

I'm only popping in now because it appeared on my referrers list.

Cheers

Jim

23rd message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 13:59
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:The reference to "religious outbursts" was the "Good Heavens".Hi Godders,

How many are there? Heavens I mean. Are there some bad ones? I didn't realise I was being religious, so to make sure we keep our feet on the ground I have changed it to "Good grief". :)

Martin.
Hi Martin,
According to the Oxford dictionary "heaven" is the abode of God (or the gods)...
All references are of a religious connection except for the informal use which is "a place, state, or experience of supreme bliss".
However, believe it or not, it's a bowdlerized version of "Good God!" (or "Good Lord!"), which is, in turn, a shortening of the liturgical response "Good Lord, deliver us" (from the hardship or vexation just mentioned in the Litany). In this case, it's a response to a clear and present bit of unpleasantness, often a mechanical device that won't co-operate or a vexatious person.
Perhaps in future, "Oh dear" will be sufficient.

BTW if Jim had only got himself a more modern machine and got to grips with Templot he could have saved himself all the work on Birmingham New Street and built it in 00-SF, he would have finished it by now and could have used RTR stock to boot.

Yours, with tongue firmly in cheek, Godders

24th message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 15:56
Jim S-W

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Godders

I only actually know one person personally who built a 00-sf layout but he scrapped it to build a p4 one. Having said that Phil did likewise with Calcutta and that was EM. Its one of the reasons I said I do actually support better track as ultimately it gets people looking and (in my experience) they choose p4 of thier own bat.

Truth is if I'd have used 00sf I wouldn't have saved any time at all on the track building front and to be fair the 10 mins or so it takes to swap wheels from OO to p4 is insignificant compared to the time it takes to detail and weather the stock. :)

Cheers

Jim

25th message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 17:53
polybear

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Jim S-W wrote: Truth is if I'd have used 00sf I wouldn't have saved any time at all on the track building front and to be fair the 10 mins or so it takes to swap wheels from OO to p4 is insignificant compared to the time it takes to detail and weather the stock. :)

Cheers

Jim
Hi Jim,

But that's cos' you play with those strange lookin' locos that don't have boilers, fireboxes or outside valvegear (the devil's work).  How long would it take you to convert a Bachmann 9F to P4... :D

Cheers,
Brian

26th message | this message only posted: 17 Feb 2014 21:30
Jim S-W

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Why would you want to? The wheelbase is wrong. In fact you cant do a correct 9f unless it's in p4 as the flanges bind in the other 4mm scales. I get your point though. It's swings and roundabouts, build a 9f or research design and scratchbuild 7 scale miles of accurate overhead? Put that way steam locos seem quite enticing :)

Cheers

Jim

27th message | this message only posted: 18 Feb 2014 16:41
polybear

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Jim S-W wrote: Put that way steam locos seem quite enticing :)

Cheers

Jim
Blimey Jim :shock:.  Next you'll be admitting that 00-sf is a rather good idea after all.... :D

Brian

28th message | this message only posted: 19 Feb 2014 08:22
Jim S-W

view images in gallery
view images as slides
:)

If brassmasters ever do a duchess kit...

29th message | this message only posted: 25 Feb 2014 20:54
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Martin Wynne wrote:Reverting to the actual subject of a file preview, I am going to implement something along these lines, if only because I need it myself. It can't be done in Windows Explorer, and even if it could I wouldn't want to because I want Templot to work as fully as possible under Wine on Linux/Mac computers.

Instead I will make a file viewer function within Templot itself.
Hi Godders,

I have made a bit of progress with this. You have to be prepared to wait a few seconds while Templot loads all the .box files and creates the screenshots for the selected folder:

Then you can scroll through them all and reload the one you want, or try a different folder:

The screenshot images are 666 x 333 which I hope will be big enough to see what is in the file without needing a zoom function, but at the same time small enough to be scrollable. If you are not sure it is only a click to reload the file and see. I've included a truncated info panel in the screenshots so that the gauge/scale is visible.

The screenshots are created using the current colours and generator settings on the trackpad, so you can change them to whatever you prefer before using the file viewer. This is the "bright night" colour scheme with the skeleton settings in the generator:

In the next program update.

regards,

Martin.

30th message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 06:02
PeterD
Waterlooville, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin. This looks to be a very useful facility. I am amazed how you have the time to manage queries and develop Templot.
Very well done and thankyou.
Best wishes
Peter

31st message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 06:57
Jim Guthrie
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

Echoing Peter, that does look useful. I don't have thousands of files :D , but there are times when I want to find a particular point in a layout's development when time and date in the file name are not a great help, and it requires opening a string of files to find the correct one. This facility will knock that on the head. :D

Jim.

32nd message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 07:11
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot, it's amazing how things you never thought you needed suddenly become one of the best tools you've got.
Can't wait to try it, any ideas on release date.
I feel like a child waiting for a new toy.

Cheers Godders

33rd message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 09:22
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote: any ideas on release date.Thanks for the positive comments.

Sorry, I don't do dates. :)

It's not finished yet, it needs a "delete this file" option. Which is easy to do if you don't mind waiting while it regenerates the list every time, but that would be a pain if you want to delete several files from a folder of hundreds. Instead I want to mark the file for deletion and allow you to continue scrolling.

regards,

Martin.

34th message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 12:00
JFS
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

I also feel this will be a really good feature - but just one question:- how fast will it be? It rather looks like Templot will have to open each file and then create the image (unless the plan is to store a thumbnail with each file).

It just seems that this might be quite a slow operation. which implies a bit of frustration if you have to wait for the whole list to generate before finding the one you want.

Presumably the traditional option of using the Windows GetFile dialogue will remain for people who know what is in the files they created?

Best wishes,

Howard.

35th message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 13:47
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

JFS wrote: I also feel this will be a really good feature - but just one question:- how fast will it be? It rather looks like Templot will have to open each file and then create the image (unless the plan is to store a thumbnail with each file).Hi Howard,

The obvious solution of saving a thumbnail with or inside each file is no good, because Godfrey (and I) have dozens of historical .box files going back years which we want to sort through more easily. Thumbnails would work only with newly created files.

So yes, Templot has to load each file and make a screenshot image. As to how long it takes -- a piece of string comes to mind. It depends how many files are in each folder, how many templates are in each file, and significantly on the generator menu settings you choose. Setting the use skeleton settings option before you start eliminates half the rail drawing and all of the timbering, with a big increase in speed.

On my test system (Windows7/64bit AMD 2.7GHz) a folder containing 100 .box files of average contents took:

full generator settings -- 23 seconds to display the full list of 100 screenshots

skeleton generator settings -- 12 seconds to display the full list of 100 screenshots

In my testing I haven't found the delay a problem -- much faster than manually reloading each file trying to find the one you want.

Obviously if you have 500 files in a folder, and every file contains hundreds of templates, you will have time to make a nice cup of tea and open a packet of biscuits while you are waiting. :)

Also, each screenshot requires 900KB of RAM for the bitmap, so a list of 500 screenshots will need 450MB of available RAM on the system. Which may slow things down a bit on older systems. It would be worth taking a few minutes to split up the files into smaller sub-folders to make the task easier.

Presumably the traditional option of using the Windows GetFile dialogue will remain for people who know what is in the files they created? Yes, there is no change to any existing functions. If you know which file you want that is still the quickest way to reload it. The recent files list is even quicker.

regards,

Martin.

36th message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 15:53
JFS
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Many thanks for that Martin. Just on the question of the generator settings - would it be possible for Templot to "automatically" select skeleton settings just for the purpose of drawing the images and revert to the user's setting on completion?

Cheers,

Howard.

37th message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 16:27
Godfrey Earnshaw
Crawley, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Sorry if you thought I was pressuring you it was just my childish eager anticipation.

Cheers Godders

38th message | this message only posted: 26 Feb 2014 18:07
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

JFS wrote: Just on the question of the generator settings - would it be possible for Templot to "automatically" select skeleton settings just for the purpose of drawing the images and revert to the user's setting on completion?Hi Howard,

Possible yes. I considered it, but it may not be what everyone wants. Not everyone has hundreds of files all in one folder, and the delay may not be enough to worry about. For others the timbering may be an important part of identifying the file -- various iterations of timber shoving for example.

My usual solution to such things is to display a "handy hint" alert with some options, so I will probably do that for folders with more than say 25 .box files.

My general feeling is that if someone has amassed hundreds of large .box files, they have enough Templot experience to make their own decision and settings. There is the usual ?help button on the file viewer dialog which will explain the details.

regards,

Martin.

39th message | this message only posted: 27 Feb 2014 10:33
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

I have now added the delete option, and also the file size and date info:

Please note that the date format (International or American) is determined by the Windows international settings on your computer, it is not controlled by Templot.

The delete function includes an "are you sure?" confirm dialog, including the relevant screenshot, but there is no undo function.

It also requires that the file is still in a Templot folder or sub-folder. If you have moved your .box files to a folder owned by Windows or some other program, delete may not work.

regards,

Martin.

40th message | this message only posted: 1 Mar 2014 13:07
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A bit more progress. The readme notes could be very helpful, although only on newly created files of course. It won't be any help with old files.

Martin.

This is topic ID = 2404     Page created at 23:14 (local time) Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2019