Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2414A Rice based China clay layout
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Feb 2014 22:25

davelong

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all I've had a quick run through of a plan I've admired for some time now. Its an Iain Rice plan from his 3 tier shelf layout idea. However its just one of the levels and I've altered its use slightly and its orientation. I've tried to plan it as best as I can leaving a big enough loop for a decent sized rake of 5-7 China clay hood wagons.
The original plan is here

629_261708_570000000.png629_261708_570000000.png

I've moved the layout/mainline entry to the bottom right, what is labelled as the exchange siding is actually the clay drys siding. Trains are brought it and either run round and shunted by themainline loco as long as there is room, or there will be a local shunter who can pull the wagons out to release the mainline loco. The wagons will be pulled off stage top right and shunted back in to the clay dry siding. I'd have liked the 2 shorter sidings at the front o the plan, but my Templot has shown its hard to get the smaller siding in and so I've left it as one. The original Rice plan operates differently than I plan so this is why I've not been able to keep the small loop. 
What do you think, Is it realistic? I've used 12ft heel switches to make the turnouts and compact as possible, I'm not hung up on 100% accurate as its such a compromised track plan anyway. Is there anything you can think of to aid operations, or am I going down the right path given the original plan and the use I'm looking to change it too. Its still in an early draft phase, hence no timber shifting and a couple of spots not correctly lined up, but its near enough for this stage. Do you guys think I've managed to keep the feel of the original plan?
Files below:Shape here
Kind regardsDave L

Attachment: attach_1775_2414_IainriceplanshapeChinaclay.bgs     370

posted: 26 Feb 2014 22:26

davelong

Box file:
Attachment: attach_1776_2414_china_clay_layout_2014_02_26_2143_27.box     405

posted: 27 Feb 2014 23:30

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

davelong wrote:

What do you think, Is it realistic?
Do you guys think I've managed to keep the feel of the original plan?

Um. Was the original Iain Rice plan realistic to begin with? Does your plan have to be so close to his for the comparison to matter?

More importantly, what era are you modelling, and what railway company? What scale and track standards? What locos?

You really need to find some photos of a real place in the era you are modelling, and combine it with some knowledge of prototype practice for your chosen era and company. Might be worth having a look at magazine articles, books and the old maps website for prototype track and building arrangements.

That's probably more questions than answers, but responses to them would help a response to your questions.

Simon

posted: 28 Feb 2014 07:36

davelong

Hi SimonI'm used to doing research and I'm not adverse to it. I have done plenty of research in to China clay railways, so for prototype help I'm looking at Carbis wharf, Drinnick Mill, and plenty of other small cornish china clay facilities. I have also come to the conclusion that I'm going to build a small layout, and without copying Trerice and Wheal Elizabeth or having little operational potential, there are not a lot of options left. I think the Rice plan has the air of a China clay facility, if you ignore the text around the plan. The off scene top right is not just 'to Nowhere' but to another part of the site, where the is a coal unloading facility and a bagged clay loading point, so loaded wagons go off scene and arrive back on scene unloaded and vice versa. 
As the box file was downloaded 16 times, its possible to work out that its P4, and my time period is based around the Clay hood which is late 70s to early 80s probably 76-84 in reality, so were fully Blue.
I was just looking for a little reassurance that the plan seems ok, or if you tried using such and such turnout, or altering this here you might get more in or you've totally messed something up so it would look daft in reality etc etc. Just a bit of nuturing, or if you moved such and such track around you'd double the length of the loop or something like that (ok I know thats daft but gives you the idea) 
This is the full Iain Rice plan, I'll leave you to decide on its originiality:

629_280230_410000000.png629_280230_410000000.png

Dave

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A Rice based China clay layout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020