author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Mar 2014 21:57

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I was starting to wonder why Templot Club has been quiet since 3rd Feb, only to realise on looking at the web forum that it hasn't!  For some reason I've stopped getting emails.  Can you please have a look at my account and see if you can see any reason why this should be?  It all looks OK to me.  I've sent a test message to the email address used for Templot Club and that's come through OK.

Edit - I should add that to my knowledge no emails are junked before I see them - I regularly log into Plusnet's webmail service and check for any messages that it thinks are junk.

Cheers
Last edited on 6 Mar 2014 21:59 by Paul Boyd
posted: 6 Mar 2014 22:51

JFS

United Kingdom

Paul,

Your provider might be blocking them before they get to your spam folder - I have a hotmail account and it blocks the Forum mails. I now have a gmail account which is fine.

Cheers,

Howard.

posted: 7 Mar 2014 09:19

Paul Boyd

Hi Howard

Plusnet, allegedly, don't block any emails, but what they do is to move anything they think is junk to the junk folder on their servers so that any POP3 email clients won't see it.  The only way to see that and to release them is to use their awful webmail service which I do on a daily basis.  I've even checked my domain name registrar and email forwarding is still all set up correctly.  What I will do though is to make sure that *they* are not blocking anything!  There's certainly nothing in the settings that suggests that they do, and I'm not paying for their anti-spam service.

posted: 7 Mar 2014 09:24

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Paul
FWIW, I have a Plusnet account and have never had an issue with Templot Club (or any other) emails being delivered.
Cheers
Dave

posted: 7 Mar 2014 09:56

JFS

United Kingdom

Paul,

The plot thickens - try not to take it personally mate:-)

It will be interesting to know what IS going on when you get to the bottom of it.

Good luck!

Howard

posted: 7 Mar 2014 10:18

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,

We are currently on 2 blacklists (out of over 100 such lists). See:

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a85a.co.uk&run=toolpage

Using shared hosting it is impossible to stay off every single blacklist for long. Some other customer of Jim's on the same mail server has been sending out spam, or what is deemed to be spam, and all the others on the same mail server suffer as a result.

What usually happens is that it clears after a few days, and then a few days later we find that we are on some other blacklist. :(

The only solution would be our own dedicated server. Of course that is extremely expensive and out of the question now that Templot is free to use.

What I can do if it's a problem and you use POP3 email is to give you your own mailbox on 85a.co.uk You would need to add an additional account to your email client. Also I can't offer much mailbox space, say 25MB, so you would need to use it for Templot Club emails only and access it fairly frequently.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Mar 2014 10:34

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

Thanks for that info!  I'm pretty confident that the problem is not with Plusnet, so it's either Templot Club (unlikely as others would have a problem) or my domain name registrar (Daily.co.uk) using one of the blacklists that Templot Club appears on.  I've changed my Templot Club email address to bypass my domain name, so if emails start appearing I know where the problem is!  The last Club email was 3rd Feb, so over a month ago.

Thanks for the offer of the mailbox - I'll hold that thought :D

Cheers

posted: 7 Mar 2014 11:02

Paul Boyd

Hmmm....  since changing the email address, a Templot Club email has flooded in!  I'll be getting on to Daily, I think.  They're not supposed to be blocking anything!

posted: 7 Mar 2014 11:27

Peter Ayre

Another possible cause which changing names won't correct is when one of the servers used in the long email chain decides not to forward on some or any emails. When the server corrects itself and if it releases messages then they arrive out of sequence to messages that went via another route (server).

This is a bit like the Royal Mail clause of "proof of posting is not nessecarily proof of receipt".

Peter
Last edited on 7 Mar 2014 11:27 by Peter Ayre
posted: 7 Mar 2014 12:01

Martin Wynne

Another option for those having email problems is to revert to receiving Templot Club emails via YahooGroups instead of direct from Templot Club. The old Templot email group is still alive and well after all these years:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/templot/conversations/messages

The future of YahooGroups seems to be constantly in doubt. But they have recently had yet another revamp, seemingly to look more like the social networking sites. The basic email distribution is still working exactly as it always has done. It is erratic, emails sometimes arrive out of order or get mysteriously delayed for days, but they do usually arrive in the end. Most of the time it is ok -- it's working fine today for example.

You would need to register as a member of the Templot group if not already, and set your email preferences to receive immediate emails.

Every Templot message back to day one (1st September 2000), all 24,000 of them, is still on there and can be searched on the site. In fact the Search function is one of its most useful features. It can include phrase searching (in quotes) and the results are listed in date order with the most recent at the top. The Advanced Search includes other useful options, see:

2_070652_550000000.png2_070652_550000000.png 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Mar 2014 15:06

Martin Wynne

Now down to being on only one blacklist (out of 103): :)

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a85a.co.uk&run=toolpage

Martin.

posted: 10 Mar 2014 20:14

Paul Boyd

That's progress!

I'm still in communication with Daily.co.uk, my domain name registrar, to try to track down where the emails were being blocked.  Since using a "direct" email address, forum emails have been coming through fine.  I'm still getting plenty of other emails through my domain - it just seems to be the Templot forum ones being blocked!

posted: 12 Mar 2014 22:35

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

A bit of an update - you were being blocked by my domain name registrar!  The response from Daily.co.uk was...
Hi Paul, The system administrators have stated the following: IP of the sending server (174.46.70.50) is blacklisted. Logs: 2014-03-07 09:25:02 H=host.d1shost2.com [174.46.70.50] F=<nobody@host.d1shost2.com> rejected RCPT <templot@paul-boyd.me.uk>: Sender address 174.46.70.50 is listed at b.barracudacentral.org see http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?pr=1&ip=174.46.70.50.
I've followed that link and Barracuda is apparently no longer blocking, so I'll change my email address back and see if Templot Club emails still come through.  I'll also check the web forum a bit earlier if it all apparently goes quiet!

By the way, my domain name isn't blocked on any of the 103 blacklists - so there :D :D :D

Cheers

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Not receiving Templot emails
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020