topic: 2425Help with station approach
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Mar 2014 22:01

PeterD

Waterlooville - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Following on from Martin's great help with my 3-way query, I have now taken the plunge with partial templates etc. I dreaded doing this but having seen some great solutions possible I realised it was about time to give it a try. I wanted to get some better flow through the point work and get away from just connecting turnouts end to end.
I have attached a box file containing the station approach tracks. Try as I may, I have an alignment problem between the Down Main and the crossing over the branch track. I have spent the day on this so far but could not correct it. Can anyone help me here please?
Now for the Sketchboard issue - Since making partial templates, the sketchboard seems not to recognise all the track work. I have not included this file as it can easily be reproduced from the .box file. Can anyone help me with this too?

Many thanks

Peter
Attachment: attach_1783_2425_Station_approach_2014_03_10_2255_33.box     263

posted: 17 Mar 2014 11:00

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Peter

The easy answer first - the Sketchboard needs full templates to work so complex formations will usually just show as a gap.  I don't really use the Sketchboard, but if I wanted this for a control panel or whatever, I would create rails-only full templates over the top of the partial templates.  If you give these a name tag and group them, you can hide them for working on the track plan, then bring them into play when working on the Sketchboard.  Maybe there's a more elegant way of doing this!

I would need to look at the box file for the alignment problem, but I'm supposed to be working!  Maybe one of our retired friends can have a look :D

Cheers

posted: 17 Mar 2014 12:09

PeterD

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Peter

The easy answer first - the Sketchboard needs full templates to work so complex formations will usually just show as a gap.  I don't really use the Sketchboard, but if I wanted this for a control panel or whatever, I would create rails-only full templates over the top of the partial templates.  If you give these a name tag and group them, you can hide them for working on the track plan, then bring them into play when working on the Sketchboard.  Maybe there's a more elegant way of doing this!

I would need to look at the box file for the alignment problem, but I'm supposed to be working!  Maybe one of our retired friends can have a look :D

Cheers

Thanks Paul. It is a shame if partial templates cannot be included but your reply seems to confirm this.
It is really good on this forum with swift and helpful replies.

Best wishes

Peter

posted: 17 Mar 2014 13:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

PeterD wrote:
It is a shame if partial templates cannot be included but your reply seems to confirm this.
Hi Peter,

It is not a sketchboard restriction, but applies to all diagram-mode output. If you change to detail mode (untick the diagram mode option box) you can have the full track plan on the sketchboard:

2_170742_020000000.png2_170742_020000000.png

Diagram mode output works by filling colour between the running rails on each template. If one of the running rails is missing from a partial template, diagram mode can't work.

To get round that there are two options:

1. temporarily wipe the partial templates and restore the underlying full templates from which they were created, or

2. as Paul suggested, temporarily overlay the formation with dummy plain track templates while creating the diagram mode output.

It's very easy to tag groups of templates and swap them from the background to unused (wiped) for this purpose.

As to your alignment problem, you didn't quite explain what was wrong.  :?

I found that the alignment could be improved a bit by changing to a B-9.5 turnout with curviform crossing:

2_170759_460000000.png2_170759_460000000.png

Although it means that the two switch fronts in the down main must be shortened.

(Assuming you did mean that turnout?)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Mar 2014 14:24

PeterD

Thanks Martin,

I have changed the turnout you suggested changes to and I have to agree it looks much better. These posts have been really useful to me as I am now more confident in tailoring turnouts to suit a location whereas I had been previously settling for tailoring a layout to suit a template.

I shall look more into the Sketchboard options you suggest.

Best wishes

Peter

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Help with station approach
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020