author remove search highlighting

posted: 21 Nov 2007 00:52

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I have now experienced on two seperate occasions Templot reverting from .91b to .82a this first happened a couple of months ago when I just thought it was some sort of glich, and again today. On each occasion I get a new email from the admin section of the forum telling me that an update to .91b is available which is when I know it has changed as I check my emails before doing anything else.

I switched the computer off last night and everything was ok and this morning when I switched it on it had reverted, this is the same as last time.
I am using a Compaq desktop with XP home edition any ideas please?

Cheers Phil

posted: 23 Nov 2007 23:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Phil O wrote:
I have now experienced on two seperate occasions Templot reverting from .91b to .82a this first happened a couple of months ago when I just thought it was some sort of glich, and again today. On each occasion I get a new email from the admin section of the forum telling me that an update to .91b is available which is when I know it has changed as I check my emails before doing anything else.
Hi Phil,

??? :?  Some confusion here!

Templot doesn't ever "ring home" and I don't send admin emails when you change to different versions. In fact I have no means of knowing that you have made a change.

The emails you received were sent from the forum to everyone -- I posted "reminder" messages in the original topic announcing the availability of version 091b.

You can have many different versions of Templot on your computer and run whichever one you prefer at any time. What I suspect is happening is that you have both 091b and 082a on your computer (and maybe others), and you are launching different ones at different times -- possibly by clicking a desktop icon in one case and double-clicking on a .box file in another case.

Please do a Windows search to find them all and either delete or rename the unwanted ones. From the Windows taskbar click Start > Search > All files and folders > Look in: Local Hard Drives. Enter the file name TemplotZero.exe and click the Search button.

When Windows has found you a list of these files, launch each one in turn by double-clicking on it, and then look in the help > about Templot menu item to see which version it is.

Decide whether it is a version you want to keep or not. If you want to keep it, I suggest renaming the old files accordingly, e.g. TemplotZero74b.exe . Then you can move them all to the C:\TEMPLOT folder or wherever you prefer, and create new shortcuts to them. Alternatively just delete the old versions of TemplotZero.exe if you don't want to keep them.

For reference, the latest 091b version of TemplotZero.exe has a file size of 3,508KB and you should leave that one unchanged.

It's possible the above is completely wrong and for reasons of its own your copy of Windows has performed a Restore to an earlier system state. I can't tell you why that might have happened, but the solution for Templot is simply to download and install 091b again.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Nov 2007 17:41

Phil O

Hi Martin
The emails you received were sent from the forum to everyone -- I posted "reminder" messages in the original topic announcing the availability of version 091b.
Sorry for any confusion, I am probably more confused than anyone. I am attaching a screen shot of my forum page which shows a date of the 21st Nov for the posting of 0.91b and I received an email similarly dated but the contents relate to the 19th July posting.

From the Windows taskbar click Start > Search > All files and folders > Look in: Local Hard Drives. Enter the file name TemplotZero.exe and click the Search buttonWhen Windows has found you a list of these files, launch each one in turn by double-clicking on it, and then look in the help > about Templot menu item to see which version it is.
I have searched my computer as described above and I am attaching a screen shot of that as well to show you what I am seeing. I have then launched Templot and at the moment 0.91b is starting as you can see from the logo. Help also relates to .91b

This is the only version of Templot on my computer apart from 0.91a which is in a folder by itself as you first sugested when it was released. To lauch .91b after downloading I have to drag it over  .82a to get it to launch at all which is the only version on my computer when it does whatever it does.

If all else fails can you please post a loaded gun so that I can blow my poor baffled brains out.

Cheers

Phil
Attachment: attach_164_244_Templot_0.91b.JPG 115

posted: 25 Nov 2007 17:42

Phil O

Templot search results
Attachment: attach_165_244_Templot_search.JPG 110

posted: 25 Nov 2007 22:31

Martin Wynne

Hi Phil,
Sorry for any confusion, I am probably more confused than anyone. I am attaching a screen shot of my forum page which shows a date of the 21st Nov for the posting of 0.91b and I recieved an email similarly dated but the contents relate to the 19th July posting.
Just to clarify -- you haven't received any emails different from anyone else.

Here's what the Recent Topics page on the forum looks like. It shows the most recent message in each of the topics listed:

recent_messages.pngrecent_messages.png

Ringed at A is the title of the topic. If you click there you go to the top of the topic page, and you will see that I started it on July 19th 2007 when I first released version 091b. You would have received an email at that time with the subject heading shown.

You can see that since then there have been 17 replies in that topic.

At B is a list of the most recent messages in each topic, and the 17th reply in that topic is shown at C. That would have been my reminder message (sent to everyone -- not just you) about the availability of 091b. If you click the go link there it will take you to the latest message at the  bottom of the topic page, instead of to the top of the topic page.

When I posted that message you would have received another email, and the subject line would have contained the tag  ( re: ) , telling you that this is a reply to an existing topic and not the start of a new one. If you had clicked the forum link in that email (which is the same as clicking the go link above) you would have gone to the message on the forum and easily seen that it was a reply in an existing topic.

PLEASE :) get into the habit of clicking the forum link at the top of each email -- that way you get to see any images and attachments, you see the message in context with other messages on the same subject, and you are in the right place to reply if you wish to do so.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Nov 2007 23:27

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
I have searched my computer as described and I am attaching a screen shot of that as well to show you what I am seeing. I have then launched Templot and at the moment 0.91b is starting as you can see from the logo. Help also relates to .91b

This is the only version of Templot on my computer apart from 0.91a which is in a folder by itself as you first sugested when it was released. To lauch .91b after downloading I have to drag it over  .82a to get it to launch at all which is the only version on my computer when it does whatever it does.
Hi Phil,

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what you mean.

As far as I can see from your screenshot, the only copy of TemplotZero.exe in your C:\TEMPLOT folder is version 091b, and version 091b is what you have running. So I'm completely baffled what your problem is? :?

Please explain what you do to launch Templot. If you click on an icon, what exactly does it say below the icon? What exactly then happens? What messages appear? What makes you think that what is happening is wrong?

Without knowing any of these answers, I can still give you a fix:

On the Desktop, right-click on everything in sight which says "Templot" and delete it.

Repeat the Search as before. Right-click on TemplotZero in the list.

On the menu which appears click Create Shortcut.

Windows will ask you if you want the shortcut placed on the Desktop. Answer Yes.

Now when you click that new icon on the Desktop, 091b will launch without any problems.

If all else fails can you please post a loaded gun so that I can blow my poor baffled brains out.
Normally supplied with all Microsoft products. Ask your Windows supplier. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2007 22:08

Phil O

Hi Martin

If and when this happens again I will take the screen shots as I go along as this is going to be the only way in which I can try and explain it.

Many thanks for your time and trouble.

Cheers Phil

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Problems running Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020