topic: 2457Wide-to-Gauge Traps
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 May 2014 21:26

Michael Woolford

Swindon - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
After asking about two of the trap points on my new layout, it has been advised that I should be using wide-to-gauge traps for protection over the normal single or double bladed trap points. The reason being that the traps are on platform sidings (middle road) and conventional traps could foul one of the lines under protection. 
Now, my query is can wide-to-gauge trap points be made in Templot?
If the answer is yes then does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it?
I am at the final stages of the design (only the turntable/turntable road (including trap) and pilot loco roads are yet to be drawn) before I start shoving the timbers and tidying things up. So, I am eager to get it finished so that I can start building something!

Michael
Last edited on 12 May 2014 21:29 by Michael Woolford
posted: 12 May 2014 22:19

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Michael,

Can you post your .box file as there are a couple of options you could use, depending on how the siding(s) are connected to the running lines.

Ian

posted: 13 May 2014 08:32

Michael Woolford

Swindon - United Kingdom

Hi Ian,
I have attached the box file. Also included is a sketch of the plan. As you can see there is an additional crossover and the area that has the box around it has changed to a single and double slip (right to left).2786_130322_370000000.jpg2786_130322_370000000.jpg
Attachment: attach_1846_2457_Station_Layout_13May14.box     248
Last edited on 13 May 2014 08:36 by Michael Woolford
posted: 13 May 2014 11:38

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Michael,

There are two types of wide-to-gauge catch points used as safety traps. This type is simply two ordinary single blade catch points used opposite each other. For normal running both point blades close against the stock rails. While they are open the back of the wheels will jam against the outside of the running rails, possibly causing considerable track damage but bringing the vehicle to a rapid halt and keeping it in line: 

800px-WHR_Cae_Pawb_trap_points.jpg800px-WHR_Cae_Pawb_trap_points.jpg
CC BY 3.0   Herbert Ortner - Own work

More pics:

on the right here:
http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrms1710.htm

and on the left here:
http://signalboxes.com/beighton-train-depot.php

In Templot create a single-blade catch point in the usual way by omitting one of the point blades, and also omit the opposite stock rail. Then overlay another similar catch point of the opposite hand.

To omit the unwanted rails -- CTRL+O or click the do > omit rails and joint marks... menu item:

2_161546_540000000.png2_161546_540000000.png

Then untick the turnout-road crossing rail tickbox:

2_161546_540000001.png2_161546_540000001.png

Another method of trapping vehicles on a centre road between running lines is to use an ordinary short Y-turnout at the exit, but close only one point blade at a time to select the required route. While both blades remain open, the wheels drop onto the timbers but hopefully the vehicle remains in a straight line. These are quite common on London Underground system. An example of that is shown here:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14183#p14183

In a Templot track plan this just appears as an ordinary Y-turnout with a short switch. The trapping function is created by the point rodding or motors, allowing each point blade to move independently. The switch must be short enough and open far enough to allow the wheelset to drop clear of the switch blades.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 May 2014 12:26

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Another method of trapping vehicles on a centre road between running lines is to use an ordinary short Y-turnout at the exit, but close only one point blade at a time to select the required route. While both blades remain open, the wheels drop onto the timbers but hopefully the vehicle remains in a straight line. These are quite common on London Underground system. An example of that is shown here:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14183#p14183

Also in that picture of Brechin station on the Caledonian mentioned on here a few months ago

http://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38#p199

Jim.

posted: 14 May 2014 02:10

Ian Allen

Michael,

I've put a trap point in on the centre siding road and the options are as mentioned above by Martin and Jim. At the location you require one, you can use a normal trap point with two blades as any vehicle can run straight on. If you wish to go the wide to gauge route though, do it the same way with the blades operated by individual tie-bars.

As you can see below, this is something we have done on the group layout we've been re-building.

_DSC0014_zpsa2eaad8a.jpg_DSC0014_zpsa2eaad8a.jpg

Attachment: attach_1847_2457_Michael_Templot.box     251

posted: 14 May 2014 20:03

Michael Woolford

Swindon - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin, Ian and Jim; I think I have it sorted. Is this what it's supposed to look like?
2786_141503_240000000.png2786_141503_240000000.png
Michael
Last edited on 14 May 2014 20:04 by Michael Woolford
posted: 14 May 2014 20:53

Ian Allen

Michael,

That's got it. Only the timber shoving/omitting to finish off.

Ian

posted: 14 May 2014 21:09

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Michael Woolford wrote:
I think I have it sorted. Is this what it's supposed to look like?
Hi Michael,

Yes, well done. :thumb:

However, I'm not sure that it ought not to be further to the left, in the straight section. As it stands it looks as if a vehicle caught by the trap may still be foul of the track above.

In which case you will lose some usable length of the middle road. A conventional set of catch points at that location with a sand drag on the rails might be more typical. Wide-to-gauge traps are really quite rare.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 May 2014 21:20

Michael Woolford

Swindon - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin, that's certainly something to consider. There may be room for the sand drag on the other siding. Not too sure about the one top one. Any idea how long the drag needs to be?

Michael

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Wide-to-Gauge Traps
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020