author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 May 2014 21:50

Michael dJS

Midhurst - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am having problems with Templot.
I download through Windows 7 Pro, go to 'Downloads' click and install Templot.
When I try to open Templot I get a screen saying 'Connecting to Templot.com' and, at that point, the computer or software 'hangs' and goes no further.
Do you have any idea why this might be happening please
I have tried running Templot as Administrator, have closed anti-virus and same thing is still happening!
Help please!
Michael dJS

posted: 29 May 2014 13:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

This is probably a Windows Firewall setting needing changing to allow Templot to access the internet.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall

On the left click: Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall

Click the Change settings button. Click the Allow another program.. button. After a short while a list of programs will appear. The program you need to allow is called

run Templot2

(it appears under R in the list, not T)

By default it is located at:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\templot_2.exe

This is what the end setting should look like. For run Templot2 you need a tick in the Public column:

2_290737_120000000.png2_290737_120000000.png

Alternatively you may have some other firewall installed as part of your anti-virus package which is blocking access. Instructions for that will be within the package.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 May 2014 17:17

Michael dJS

Many thanks for the detailed guidance but still no luck.

I have done what was suggested, have checked my Iobit Malware settings and also Avast anti-virus and changing settings makes no difference.

I have also tried to load Templot on to another computer, with exactly the same result

They both stall at 'Connecting to Templot.com!

Don't know what more I can do

Michael dJS

posted: 29 May 2014 17:43

Martin Wynne

Michael dJS wrote:
They both stall at 'Connecting to Templot.com!
Hi Michael,

I'm puzzled. There have been over 950 downloads so far of the current version, and there were more than 3,000 downloads of the previous version. So far no-one else has reported any similar problems.

There isn't actually a message "Connecting to Templot.com".

Before you click the GO button it says "clicking GO connects to templot.com"

And after you click the GO button it says "Templot2 is contacting templot.com ... ..." although on broadband it is usually so fast that you may miss it.

Did you mean that, or are you really seeing the exact words "Connecting to Templot.com"?

If you are getting the same result on two different computers it would suggest some problem with your internet connection or service provider.

Anyone else seeing this?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 May 2014 19:07

Michael dJS

I am actually seeing  "Templot2 is contacting templot.com ... ..."  and that is where it stalls.

I use AOL as my internet provider and have also tried using Mozilla Firefox, both giving the same result.

I can access the Templot site using AOL, Firefox and Internet Explorer without problem and can download from all three but result of trying to run Templot is same in each case.

Michael dJS

posted: 29 May 2014 19:15

Martin Wynne

Michael dJS wrote:
I use AOL as my internet provider
Hmm. That rings alarm bells. I know there are lots of web reports of problems connecting to servers through AOL. This would explain why the problem is affecting two different computers.

Do you have a USB mobile broadband dongle you could try instead?

Anyone else using AOL?

Martin.

posted: 31 May 2014 17:45

Michael dJS

I must admit to being at my wits end with this. I have altered every setting in two computers, still no luck getting past the  'Templot 2 is contacting templot.com."

Something seems to be objecting to my computer trying to contact a website using a link with an ',exe' suffix

Is it possible to run Templot from the Templot website?

Michael dJS

posted: 31 May 2014 20:21

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,

"I can access the Templot site using AOL, Firefox and Internet Explorer without problem and can download from all three but result of trying to run Templot is same in each case"
A service provider(AOL) and browsers (Firefox/Internet Explorer) are two different things.
Trevor.

posted: 31 May 2014 21:40

Michael dJS

Thanks Trevor

But I still can't find a way of loading Templot.

Do you know if it is possible to obtain this software on a disc?
Michael dJS

Last edited on 31 May 2014 21:41 by Michael dJS
posted: 31 May 2014 22:17

Martin Wynne

Hi Michael,

Templot2 won't run without an internet connection.

If you are having the same problem on two different computers, the problem must be related to your AOL service provider. Do you have any other software which checks for program updates? Does it work? It is quite common as a program feature nowadays.

Can you use any other provider? For example can you use your mobile phone as a Wifi router or via a USB cable connection? Do you have a USB mobile broadband dongle?

Many hundreds of users are running Templot without a problem, but I don't know how many of them are using AOL as their internet service provider. Perhaps none. Anyone?

Martin.

posted: 1 Jun 2014 10:47

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Michael

Digging back into my memory banks, I seem to remember that AOL worked as a sort of intranet (self-contained network) that was extremely picky about what it would allow to connect through it.  Getting the software on a disc won't help as you've already installed it - the problem is that Templot needs to do a quick check over the internet before running.

Martin has suggested trying an alternative ISP (service provider) - if you have Templot installed on a laptop maybe the easiest way to actually do that is to pop into your local library, or anywhere else with free Wi-Fi, and see if it works there - check that normal browsing is OK before checking Templot.  If Templot then works, I would be pretty sure that AOL is the problem, if not then the problem is likely to be your antivirus/antimalware software.  You mention that you have both Avast and IObit installed.  There's no need for both as even the basic Avast has anti-malware protection.  Having two such products can in itself cause problems - and are you absolutely positive that you've added templot_2.exe as an exception to both, correctly?

Cheers

posted: 3 Jun 2014 07:43

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Michael

Not much I can do to help, but if what Paul says works, just close the lid and have the laptop in sleep mode.

Another possible solution is if you have an android phone you could either connect the laptop to the phone with a wire or use the phone's hot spot to work as an alternative wifi

posted: 3 Jun 2014 09:33

Michael dJS

Hello Paul

Many thanks for your input. I have tried everything that both Martin and AOL have suggested and still no luck.

I am working from two desktops through a router and both give the same result - no connection to Templot.com

You wrote:

"You mention that you have both Avast and IObit installed.  There's no need for both as even the basic Avast has anti-malware protection.  Having two such products can in itself cause problems - and are you absolutely positive that you've added templot_2.exe as an exception to both, correctly?"

To add Templot as an exception is a procedure that I am not sure about/ Any guidance please?

Thanks also to Hayfield for your input. I only have one of, what my granddaughter calls, a steam phone with no internet ability

Michael dJS

posted: 3 Jun 2014 12:32

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
It would appear Windows 7 Professional has its own security features built in.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/352633/microsoft-windows-7-professional/2
I would think running other security applications at the same time from other vendors will cause all sorts of problems.Windows Defender and Windows firewall will be fighting with the other applications to see which makes the final decisions as to what can and can't run.I don't use Microsoft products so I can't help you but it sounds like you need to learn how to operate and alter settings in the operating system itself.
Trevor.

posted: 3 Jun 2014 12:45

Michael dJS

Trevor
Many thanks again for your input. I have also tried from my other computer running Windows 7 Ultimate with same result. I have tried with firewall off and Defender has never been used. You can understand my desperation
Michael dJS

posted: 3 Jun 2014 13:16

Martin Wynne

Hi Michael,

I think your problems must be related to using AOL as your internet service provider. They are no longer available, having been part of TalkTalk since 2006. Some web news:

Services are provided by TalkTalk Group under the AOL Broadband brand.

In April 2013 AOL Broadband was 'rated worst for broadband problems' by Which? Magazine.

As of April 2014 AOL Broadband is no longer available for new customers. New customers are directed to the TalkTalk website for broadband packages.

If you can't change provider, have you tried finding a nearby WiFi network? Or using a USB mobile broadband dongle?

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Unable to load Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020