topic: 2491Three basic questions
author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Jul 2014 11:13

Howard

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I've been using Templot for some time now, but have found three problems, all of which seem very basic, and I cannot see how to overcome them.undefinedundefined

First, I have moved the track to position (0,0), but it is above the horizontal datum. (I don't want the track here, this is just an illustration).

Second, the trackpad grid shows as squares in the positive quadrant only. This is a problem because I am developing a layout where I want to plan each baseboard separately, starting from that on the far right, so I will have future baseboards in negative territory.

Third, the outline of the baseboard has been generated as a rectangular shape, and modified via font/colours and setting the trackpad line width to 3. This setting is not saved when I save the background shapes.

2_200624_500000000.png2_200624_500000000.png

Howard Watkins
Attachment: attach_1882_2491_templottest_2014_07_20_1054_25.box     220

posted: 20 Jul 2014 12:17

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Howard wrote:
I've been using Templot for some time now, but have found three problems, all of which seem very basic, and I cannot see how to overcome them.undefinedundefined

First, I have moved the track to position (0,0), but it is above the horizontal datum. (I don't want the track here, this is just an illustration).

Second, the trackpad grid shows as squares in the positive quadrant only. This is a problem because I am developing a layout where I want to plan each baseboard separately, starting from that on the far right, so I will have future baseboards in negative territory.

Third, the outline of the baseboard has been generated as a rectangular shape, and modified via font/colours and setting the trackpad line width to 3. This setting is not saved when I save the background shapes.
Hi Howard,

Your screenshot image was uploaded to the Image Gallery, but you didn't click on it to insert it in your message. I have done it for you. :)

Please don't leave any part of your track plan in the negative quadrants, otherwise you won't be able to print the construction templates (without shifting the page origin). Move the whole plan into the positive quadrant using the shift group functions. The grid lines are omitted from the negative quadrants as a clear warning that you have wandered into them.

The simplest way to proceed would be to start your first baseboard in its final position on the grid. But if you prefer to plan each baseboard at the grid origin, use shift group afterwards to move it to its final position.

If you are not sure of its final position, start at some arbitrary position and if necessary move the whole plan later using the shift group functions.

Please ignore this: Every template has its own datum on the Y-axis, shown as a green dot marking the gauge face of the main-side stock rail at CTRL-0. If you set 0,0 as its location, that is where it is positioned on the grid, as in your screenshot. You can set a template's green-dot datum wherever you want on the Y-axis, independently for each template.

Instead do this:

1. set the notch to the required location and angle on the grid. Click the geometry > notch > set notch position and angle... menu item.

2. put the peg on the control template at the required peg position within it, usually CTRL-0.

3. click the geometry > notch > shift onto notch menu item.

The line thickness setting for background shapes on the trackpad is included in your program preferences. To start using program preferences -- click here, then read the notes and click the links:

2_200713_300000000.png2_200713_300000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jul 2014 14:55

Howard

United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for uploading my image. This forum is different to others I use, hence my misunderstanding.

I understand about staying in the positive quadrant - in fact I had already started doing that, but thought I would ask along with the other questions.

Saving the preferences works fine; I just have to remember to start by clicking "Go using my preferences" instead of just the "Go" button.

I don't fully understand your other answer. What is CTRL-O? Does it use the numeric 0, an upper case alphabetic letter, or a lower case alphabetic letter. I cannot get it to do anything (using Windows 7 Professional).

Howard.

posted: 20 Jul 2014 15:30

Martin Wynne

Howard wrote:
I don't fully understand your other answer. What is CTRL-0? Does it use the numeric 0, an upper case alphabetic letter, or a lower case alphabetic letter. I cannot get it to do anything
Hi Howard,

Numeric zero.

CTRL-0 (zero) is the default peg position at the datum end of the control template:

pad_symbols.pngpad_symbols.png

If it doesn't seem to do anything the most likely reason is that the peg is already on that position.

The current peg position shows in the peg indicator at top left of the trackpad:

2_201025_520000000.png2_201025_520000000.png

Full details of the pre-set peg positions on the above menu is at:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm#peg_positions

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jul 2014 16:19

Howard

United Kingdom

Thanks for the clarification.

I read "datum" as "template datum" as it was the only datum in your image. I now see it means "datum end of the control template".

Howard.

posted: 20 Jul 2014 16:54

Martin Wynne

Howard wrote:
I read "datum" as "template datum" as it was the only datum in your image. I now see it means "datum end of the control template".
Hi Howard,

Please ignore the green dot template datum. It is important for me when developing the code, but it rarely comes into play in using Templot. I mentioned it because it was the only way to explain your screenshot.

regards,

Martin.

-> topic moved from "I found a flaw" to "Baffled beginners" section.

posted: 13 Aug 2014 07:52

Ade

A Village In Vaud, Switzerland - Switzerland

Martin,

I'm a bit baffled here too. What is the relationship between Grid Origin, Page Origin and Template Datum (green dot)? By all means, please point me to a tutorial or thread which covers this. Thanks.

posted: 13 Aug 2014 10:17

Martin Wynne

Ade wrote:
I'm a bit baffled here too. What is the relationship between Grid Origin, Page Origin and Template Datum (green dot)?
Hi Ade,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Please ignore the green dot. It is the internal template datum used in the maths. I need to see it when developing the code but as a Templot user you would normally have no need to reference it and I mentioned it only for the sake of completeness. I'm minded to remove it from the trackpad by default.

The grid origin is the place where the axes on the trackpad intersect at location co-ordinates X=0, Y=0, in the bottom left-hand corner of the trackpad at startup. All grid co-ordinates are referenced from this origin. When you enter X,Y locations in the dialogs, this is the point from which the dimensions are taken:

pad_symbols.pngpad_symbols.png

The page origin is the grid co-ordinates for the start of the first printed page when printing track construction templates. By default this is at the grid origin X=0, Y=0, but you can move it if needed to get a better fit of your templates to the page trim margins. Printed (and PDF) pages are rotated 90 degrees from the trackpad when output, so that the origin of each page corresponds to the top left corner of the printed page:

2_210735_310000000.png2_210735_310000000.png

The current page origin dimensions are shown at top right on every printed page (at 1 above), and the actual page corner co-ordinates of each subsequent page are shown in the other corners: 

2_210738_140000000.png2_210738_140000000.png

To move the page origin, use the SHIFT+CTRL+F10 mouse action. The page outlines can be shown on the trackpad, according to the current paper size and trim margin settings:

2_130507_210000000.png2_130507_210000000.png

The trim margins are set in the output > trim margins > menu items.

See also: message 16661

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Aug 2014 22:48

Ade

A Village In Vaud, Switzerland - Switzerland

Thanks, Martin, that's very helpful.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Three basic questions
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020