topic: 2495Baseboard
author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Jul 2014 11:36

mocco

Midsomer Norton - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
When designing a layout I thought that choosing the baseboard size was the first step. However, I cannot find a way of creating the baseboard in Templot. Can someone please advise?

posted: 30 Jul 2014 12:26

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

mocco wrote:
When designing a layout I thought that choosing the baseboard size was the first step.
Hi Chris,

It can be, if the baseboard sizes are important -- for a portable layout perhaps. For a fixed layout it is usually better to design the track plan first. You can then design the baseboard structure around it so that the joints come in convenient places and point motors are clear of framework.

However, I cannot find a way of creating the baseboard in Templot. Can someone please advise?
In Templot the baseboards are created as background shapes, saved separately from the track templates in a BGS file.

Go to main > background shapes menu item. Full notes here:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_bgshape.htm

Sorry it is all a bit out of date.

If you are preparing a layout design for publication, you may prefer to design the baseboards on the sketchboard. This allows more colour, transparency effects, text labels, easier adjustments, etc. Click the sketchboard button (top left on the trackpad). 

regards,

Martin.
Last edited on 30 Jul 2014 12:48 by Martin Wynne
posted: 30 Jul 2014 12:32

stuart1600

United Kingdom

mocco wrote:
When designing a layout I thought that choosing the baseboard size was the first step. However, I cannot find a way of creating he baseboard in Templot. Can someone please advise?
Can I respectfully suggest that baseboard size is not the best place to start designing a layout.  Whilst it is true that available space (room dimensions/area of garden/transportability) may prove to be critical factors, the real starting-point should be what it is that interests you.
In other words what you want to make a model of - what company, what geographical location, what period....  Followed by what type of operational interest you want - continuous, end-to-end, junction station, watching the trains go by, loads of shunting, just yourself or a gang of operators....

Perhaps if you can outline what sort of model railway you want to create it will be easier to make practical suggestions.

Kind regards,
Stuart

posted: 30 Jul 2014 14:10

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
I started from a shape to the room dimensions then created a shape to match the area of the layout required.It saves finding your track plan won't fit after a load of time and effort trying to achieve the impossible.Don't ask how I know.:D
Regards.
Trevor.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020