author remove search highlighting

posted: 31 Jul 2014 11:17

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin.

Would it be possible to add a line on the template to assist in locating the position of the blunt nose, preferably a different colour, as I am struggling with the assembly of some flat bottom railed turnouts. A first for me, up til now I have only built bullhead turnouts.

Thanks

Phil

posted: 31 Jul 2014 12:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Phil O wrote:
Would it be possible to add a line on the template to assist in locating the position of the blunt nose, preferably a different colour, as I am struggling with the assembly of some flat bottom railed turnouts. A first for me, up til now I have only built bullhead turnouts.
Hi Phil,

Templot already marks the blunt nose on the vee, and the Fine Point (FP) gauge intersection:

2_160721_340000000.png2_160721_340000000.png

What additional line did you have in mind?

For flat-bottom vees the blunt nose is 5/8" wide and overlaps the centre of the 'A' timber by 5". For a standard 12" wide timber this means that it is 1" scale from the edge of the timber. That's 0.33mm in 4mm/ft scale. You could use the edge of the timber as a guide for this.

(In bullhead the blunt nose is 3/4" wide and overlaps the centre of the 'A' timber by 4", so it is 0.67mm from the edge in 4mm/ft scale.)

These dimensions can be set at real > V-crossing options > customize V-crossing > blunt nose... menu item. This is normally the starting point in creating a custom turnout template, because the centre of the 'A' timber is a reference for several other dimensions. The default settings in Templot are for bullhead as above.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2014 15:03

Phil O

Hi Martin

I knew about the marks already on the template and have no problem with bullhead rail but with flat bottom I am struggling I hope the attachment gives a better indication of what I was asking for.

38_311001_160000000.png38_311001_160000000.png

Thanks for the help

Phil
Last edited on 31 Jul 2014 15:04 by Phil O
posted: 3 Aug 2014 04:59

Martin Wynne

Hi Phil,

I agree that positioning the blunt nose can be tricky because the relevant template detail is obscured when the timbers are attached to the template. I'm not too clear how your red line helps because it is similarly obscured by the timber? My usual answer is to print a copy template on tracing paper which can be laid on the rails during assembly to check the alignments.

But I can see the advantage of a more prominent indication of the blunt nose position on the template which remains visible after attaching the timbers. So I have added new V-crossing labels in a similar style to the switch labels. The FP marker is seldom needed during construction, but I feel that it is necessary to have both so that the meaning of the blunt nose marker is clearly differentiated from it.

With square-on timbering:

2_022328_040000002.png2_022328_040000002.png

With equalized timbering -- the markers remain square-on:

2_022328_040000001.png2_022328_040000001.png

These labels are likely to get a bit messy in complex formations with multiple partial templates, so they can be turned off in the output element options in the same way as the switch labels:

2_022328_030000000.png2_022328_030000000.png

In the next program update. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Aug 2014 07:09

Hayfield

United Kingdom

That would be very helpful, but in the same vein this would also be of great assistance with obtuse crossings, where the tips are also are obscured by the timbers
Last edited on 3 Aug 2014 07:10 by Hayfield
posted: 3 Aug 2014 07:28

Phil O

Many Thanks Martin.

I look forward to the next update.

Thanks Phil

posted: 3 Aug 2014 11:05

Martin Wynne

Another blunt nose:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-28621775

Martin.

posted: 3 Aug 2014 17:42

Phil O

I'm not going to comment, but I can think of less painfull methods of getting a blunt nose.

posted: 6 Aug 2014 21:39

Martin Wynne

Hayfield wrote:
That would be very helpful, but in the same vein this would also be of great assistance with obtuse crossings, where the tips are also are obscured by the timbers
Hi John,

I have now added a marker for the K-crossing blunt tips. :)

I have also had second thoughts, and changed the blunt nose and FP markers to equalized. This is the only option which makes sense for half-diamonds, so it may as well apply to turnouts also. It also has the advantage of aiding the alignment of the special V-crossing chairs, which need to be equalized even when the timbers are square-on:

undefinedundefined2_061634_570000000.png2_061634_570000000.png

2_061628_320000000.png2_061628_320000000.png

(This is EM, so I used the timbering as model option to have the diamond tips properly supported on a timber.)

In the next program update.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > blunt nose marker
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020