click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Playing video tutorials
Templot web site

Rating                           Playing video tutorials
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
41st message | this message only posted: 27 Mar 2015 21:27
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Dave Summers
Urchfont, Devizes, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin

The flashback video works correctly on my Macbook Pro and iPad 2 Air.

It runs on my iPhone 4S but will only pause when I hit the pause button - otherwise it blasts on through. If you want to use these videos practically, you probably wouldn't/shouldn't be using an iPhone for the purpose anyway!

Cheers

Dave

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
42nd message | this message only posted: 27 Mar 2015 21:42
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Dave Summers wrote: The flashback video works correctly on my Macbook Pro and iPad 2 Air.

It runs on my iPhone 4S but will only pause when I hit the pause button - otherwise it blasts on through. If you want to use these videos practically, you probably wouldn't/shouldn't be using an iPhone for the purpose anyway!
Thanks Dave.

So not all iThings are the same?  :?  The whole Apple world is unknown to me, apart from iRonning a shirt.

If the video doesn't auto-pause to read the notes, the format is useless for the tutorials. I'm not planning to write any additional pages or notes for these video tutorials. The whole point of the FBR format is that I have only to create the content once and maintain one version.

What is still puzzling me is why you can't run the FBR version natively in its player? If you are running Templot you must be using either Windows or Wine, and in both of those the FBR player works fine. Or at least it does here.

regards,

Martin.

43rd message | this message only posted: 28 Mar 2015 11:24
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
Dave Summers wrote: The flashback video works correctly on my Macbook Pro and iPad 2 Air.

Thanks Dave.

So not all iThings are the same?  :?  The whole Apple world is unknown to me, apart from iRonning a shirt.

If the video doesn't auto-pause to read the notes, the format is useless for the tutorials. I'm not planning to write any additional pages or notes for these video tutorials. The whole point of the FBR format is that I have only to create the content once and maintain one version.

What is still puzzling me is why you can't run the FBR version natively in its player? If you are running Templot you must be using either Windows or Wine, and in both of those the FBR player works fine. Or at least it does here.

regards,

Martin.

The idea is to be able to look at the video on various iThingys , not having to run templot etc. ( great in bed etc ) I don't get much time in the day to play with stuff so often use some sleepless hours for this

Ps. The video is fine on IOS devices , it's just you have to pause to read the notes. I found it find, not quite as convenient as the auto pause but usable

The issue is horrible flash , Steve didn't like them , so ( we) don't like them. !!!!

I dropped Windoze a few years ago, I have now 6 apple devices , never going back

44th message | this message only posted: 28 Mar 2015 11:36
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Interesting BB claim flashback connect retains interactive features on connect. Must drop them an email to see why it doesn't seem to work on iOS

45th message | this message only posted: 28 Mar 2015 12:21
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
madscientist wrote: Interesting BB claim flashback connect retains interactive features on Connect. Must drop them an email to see why it doesn't seem to work on iOSHi Dave,

But Dave says it does work on iPad? Is that not iOS?

I don't see how the video would be readable on anything smaller than a tablet?

regards,

Martin.

46th message | this message only posted: 31 Mar 2015 12:52
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote: Interesting BB claim flashback connect retains interactive features on Connect. Must drop them an email to see why it doesn't seem to work on iOSHi Dave,

But Dave says it does work on iPad? Is that not iOS?

I don't see how the video would be readable on anything smaller than a tablet?

regards,

Martin.

Re Flashback Connect
On Mac Safari , The video plays as you intended, with programmed pauses etc

On iOS devices iPad, iPhone etc . the video plays, quality is good, but the programmed pauses do not occur, the video keeps playing

Ill send in a email to BB support as they claim Connect, retains the interactive features

ps : video was fully viewable on an iPhone
Dave

47th message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 12:10
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin, I can confirm that BB flashback, confirmed that the video should work correctly on iOS devices including pauses etc. They did say they had a discovered a bug with iOS7 ( which I use) which they are investigating

Looks like Connect would be a useful way to disseminate these tutorials

Dave

48th message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 12:44
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

madscientist wrote: Martin, I can confirm that BB flashback, confirmed that the video should work correctly on iOS devices including pauses etc. They did say they had a discovered a bug with iOS7 ( which I use) which they are investigating

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. It is certainly easy to do. Having a copy of FlashBack Pro 5, it seems I have a free Connect account, and it is just a click to upload the FBR file. Blueberry do the rest.

I find it difficult to believe that the HTML5 video quality is watchable, but I will take your word for it. :)

What is the least expensive way for me to get one of these iOS thingies to test?

What other mobile devices need testing with Connect? Android?

Here's the Connect video link again for anyone with an Android device to test:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=z3LZpZ1HyGx4Mzpft5UXUA2

We don't need to know if it runs, but whether it automatically pauses while running.

My Microsoft tablet runs Windows8.1, so I don't know anything about these other mobile operating systems. Are there any more?

thanks,

Martin.

49th message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 18:23
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote: Martin, I can confirm that BB flashback, confirmed that the video should work correctly on iOS devices including pauses etc. They did say they had a discovered a bug with iOS7 ( which I use) which they are investigating

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. It is certainly easy to do. Having a copy of FlashBack Pro 5, it seems I have a free Connect account, and it is just a click to upload the FBR file. Blueberry do the rest.

I find it difficult to believe that the HTML5 video quality is watchable, but I will take your word for it. :)

What is the least expensive way for me to get one of these iOS thingies to test?

What other mobile devices need testing with Connect? Android?

Here's the Connect video link again for anyone with an Android device to test:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=z3LZpZ1HyGx4Mzpft5UXUA2

We don't need to know if it runs, but whether it automatically pauses while running.

My Microsoft tablet runs Windows8.1, so I don't know anything about these other mobile operating systems. Are there any more?

thanks,

Martin.

pickuo a secondhand iPhone 4 or reasonably modern iPod touch. or a iPad2

as to HTML 5 quality thats a function of the codec being used by the browser, iOS and safari use H.264, which gives really good quality and quiet small sizes, but isn't royalty free ( but apple pays the royalty )

Flash is dead Martin, even Adobe know that .

50th message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 20:28
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

madscientist wrote:as to HTML 5 quality that's a function of the codec being used by the browser, iOS and safari use H.264, which gives really good quality and quiet small sizes, but isn't royalty free ( but apple pays the royalty )

Flash is dead Martin, even Adobe know that .
Hi Dave,

Everyone I ask keeps telling me all this, but it just isn't true. Presumably if Apple says it often enough everyone believes them.

The HTML5 codecs use jpeg-style compression and it just isn't suitable for recording screen graphics.

For still images we have two formats -- JPG for real-world camera photos and scans, and lossless PNG for line graphics. The difference between them is significant and clearly visible. It's blindingly obvious that we need two similar formats for moving images.

At present the only lossless video formats I know about are Flash, AVI + TechSmith TSCC codec, and FBR.

According to Blueberry they are using H.264 for the QuickTime exports:

So I have just now:

1. Updated my version of QuickTime to the latest upgrade.

2. Updated my version of FlashBack Pro 5 to the latest upgrade.

3. Recorded a short clip from Templot.

4. Saved it in FBR format. The file size is 431 KB.

5. Exported it to QuickTime MOV format using the highest quality settings available. The file size is 1806 KB -- more than 4 times larger than FBR.

But despite that massive increase in file size, the image quality is poor. Here is the MOV version, looking all smudgy. Remember this is the highest image quality available (the default quality setting is far worse):

And the FBR version, crisply reproducing the original exactly, in a fraction of the file size:

I can only conclude that for some folks the smudgy version is entirely acceptable. But not for me -- watching moving images like that for any length of time gives me a blinding headache. :(

So I'm happy to supply the files in HTML5 format via FlashBack Connect for those who want them (assuming the auto-pause does actually work), but I won't be regarding it as the primary source.

The FBR format is clearly preferable, works fine on Windows and Linux+Wine, and is available integrated into the Templot program for download and playback.

regards,

Martin.

51st message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 20:43
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin , heres your scruff video, from the flashbconnect played on an iPad 2

This is in effect h.264 via html 5 , but I couldnt tell you file size of course
Nothing at all wrong with the quality. FB Connect seems ideal IMHO

photo.PNG

52nd message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 20:48
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

madscientist wrote: Nothing at all wrong with the quality. FB Connect seems ideal IMHO
But it's smudgy, with colour bleeds around the timber outlines, and the text. Can't you see them? :?

Martin.

53rd message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:05
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote: Nothing at all wrong with the quality. FB Connect seems ideal IMHO
But it's smudgy, with colour bleeds around the timber outlines, and the text. Can't you see them? :?

Martin.

Sheesh Martin, I mean the text is sharp , the " colour bleed" is minor ( this is a function of certain settings or the codec being used , its not a fault of H.264 etc

seems fine to me

54th message | this message only posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:28
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

madscientist wrote:Sheesh Martin, I mean the text is sharp , the " colour bleed" is minor ( this is a function of certain settings or the codec being used , its not a fault of H.264 etc
Well I wish I knew where to find these settings, because I have spent months looking. :?

It's not fine by me, the bleed is as wide as the line it is bleeding from:

Recently I spent several weeks working all through Templot making it "dpi-aware" in the current update, to eliminate these effects on my tablet computer (which at 144dpi was using Windows virtualization with similar results), so I don't want to see them in the screen recordings.

If it was unavoidable I would accept it -- but it isn't, as Flash and FBR clearly demonstrates. The massive increase in file size just rubs salt in the wound.

regards,

Martin.

55th message | this message only posted: 2 Apr 2015 09:30
Paul Boyd
Loughborough, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin

It seems to me from this and other threads that Apple people seem quite happy with smudgy video.  I guess it's from not being aware of how much better Windows is at these things and therefore accepting smudginess as the norm.  I certainly wouldn't be happy with the quality of the video that Dave seems to think is fine - I also don't like getting headaches.

I'll just go and duck for cover now  :D

Cheers

56th message | this message only posted: 2 Apr 2015 10:13
madscientist

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Paul Boyd wrote:

I'll just go and duck for cover now  :D

Cheers

Dont make Steve unhappy

57th message | this message only posted: 21 Apr 2015 21:19
Jubilee42
Rødovre, Denmark

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi
I'm trying to gain liftoff from armchair modeller and have played a lot with Anyrail - which doesn't really help here. I've spent most of the day trying to get to grips with Templot, and am bamboozled! I thought I'd try and draw a trackplan, then quickly discovered it might be better just to manipulate a turnout (which I did!) But this program is so utterly unlike any other program I've used, that I am standing at the bottom of the sheer face of learning scratching my head. I can see many proper modellers do wonderful flowing things with Templot, and that you, Martin, have spent 3 decades developing it, so I will persevere! Anyway, my question!:

Is it right that there is no speech on the tutorials? Sometimes there is music, but I've not come across any voices yet?

58th message | this message only posted: 21 Apr 2015 21:50
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Jubilee42 wrote:Is it right that there is no speech on the tutorials? Sometimes there is music, but I've not come across any voices yet?Hi,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Yes, the videos are silent, there is no commentary.

That's partly because sound increases the file size significantly, and partly because the user is intended to stop and start them frequently, rather than simply watch them. The latest FBR video tutorials stop automatically, sometimes only a few frames apart, so there wouldn't be time to say anything meaningful between each stop. See for example help > watch a video > single slip menu item, or:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?add_slip_roads.htm

I may add a brief commentary introduction to future videos.

regards,

Martin.

59th message | this message only posted: 21 Apr 2015 22:17
Jubilee42
Rødovre, Denmark

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin - I just wanted to check if I'd missed a button somewhere! If I were to donate some cash, do you suggest anywhere an amount? Or alternatively - how much did it used to cost before it became free? I'd like to support your work.
Martin Wynne wrote: Jubilee42 wrote:Is it right that there is no speech on the tutorials? Sometimes there is music, but I've not come across any voices yet?Hi,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Yes, the videos are silent, there is no commentary.
regards,

Martin.

This is topic ID = 2514     Page created at 10:47 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Playing video tutorials
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018