Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2533Metal T sections or old lengths of rail ?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Sep 2014 09:46

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I was walking over a bridge at the Golf Club and noticed these fence posts (cannot down load from the image galery)  link to RMweb until I get the downloads working http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90272-are-these-pieces-of-old-rail-or-just-t-sections/ They may be just T sections or are they old rail They are in the image gallery as well  http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery_view.php?display=ALL#gallery_top
Last edited on 13 Sep 2014 09:49 by Hayfield
posted: 13 Sep 2014 15:08

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi John,

The rail you have in the pictures, is known as 'bridge' rail.

It is, or was, one of the earlier forms of rail used on very early railways, pre dating Stevenson, though, I doubt the rail shown in the photos is that early.

However, it was also used right up to the late 1930s or even 40s, mainly for the radius rail of turntables.

Most turntables used this form for the radius rail (the circle rail).

One company in particular, the GER, used it for not only the radius rail, but also the straight rail on the table it's self.

I think other companies, such as the Scottish railways, and others, also used the rail in this manner as well.

I also believe, that it was used for the rails when mounted on steel structure bridges, as it was easier to bolt straight onto the underlying supporting girder work (the way beams), and not have to use sleepers and chairs.

All the best,

Brian.

posted: 13 Sep 2014 16:55

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

It was also used by the GWR on broad gauge (and mixed gauge) lines, usually with longitudinal sleepering.

John

posted: 13 Sep 2014 17:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Thank you both for taking the time to explain. I thought it looked like the rail I had seen in books but its the first time in the flesh

posted: 28 Feb 2015 11:24

D Foster

United Kingdom

Bridge Rail being of very shallow depth had to be laid on longitudinal baulks where there was any weight of traffic. (Baulk road was kept to gauge by gauge bars). As far as I know it was always iron rail. This meant that for Standard Gauge lines it was rapidly superseded by Bullhead or the unsuccessful Double Headed rail in the UK.
The GWR in particular was extremely fond of recycling and used large amounts of redundant Bridge Rail for sign posts, fence posts and also the stumps of boundary markers. Until recently at least there was a remaining post for a sign at Banbury. Fence posts are all over the ex GWR - notably and accessibly on the Llangollen Railway - where there is also a boundary marker.

I have examples of narrow gauge (2ft) industrial bridge rail - about 2" tall and 2.5" - 3" wide. This came from a very short, temporary line in Cornwall that only had jubilee tipper wagons on it - but - transverse sleepers.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Metal T sections or old lengths of rail ?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020