author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Jan 2015 17:22

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello
This is my first attempt at creating a comprehensive layout prompted by the EMGS challenge of a maximum size of 60 x 18.2 inches.  I have tried to create the micro layout in Templot and squeeze a quart into a pint pot!
I have attached the box file from my first effort and to explain the rationale behind the design.  The concept is a low level industrial yard with associated engineering works and warehouses (to provide suitable scenic blocks) all set against a main line traversing the scene on a viaduct.  The low level design can also operate as a shunting problem using the headshunt (capacity loco + 2 wagons) and the 2 short sidings (capacity 2 wagons each).
The baseboards are planned as 24 x 18.2 on left and 36 x 18.2 on the right.  This is flexible.  Turnouts are A5 throughout and diamond crossing is to be a single slip.  I have put off trying to create the single slip until the remainder of the trackwork is settled.
I think I may adjust the sector plate to allow a run round via the short siding TR008 and create an offstage fiddle yard behind the dock siding.
I would be grateful for any comments and advice.

Simon
Attachment: attach_2053_2618_v5_shunting_2015_01_13_1547_13.box     277

posted: 1 Feb 2015 22:45

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hello Simon.
I have been having a look at your box file. Whilst I appreciate that yours is a minimum space project, some of your curves are very tight. Converting the Diamond into a Slip will produce a slip road with a radius of just under 24 inches. I have just tried it. A larger curve can be produced by using an outside slip, but there is not the room to fit one in at the current track spacing. There is though an alignment problem between your sector plate track and the Diamond  template. See attached file for the difference when altered. I can help you with the Slip if you get stuck.
Regards
Tony W.
Attachment: attach_2055_2618_shunting_v5_2015_02_01_2229_01.box     284

posted: 2 Feb 2015 09:35

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

I think this gives a more flowing layout.

regards

Alan
Attachment: attach_2056_2618_shunting_v5_flow.box     288

posted: 2 Feb 2015 18:21

Tony W

Hi Alan.
I agree, the 1 in 4 Diamond will definitely require an outside slip road though.
Tony.

posted: 2 Feb 2015 21:52

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

Hi Alan and Tony,
Many thanks for your inputs.  I very much appreciate the flow that Alan has achieved.
I have slightly shortened one of the sidings to include a building and moved the trackplan down towards the baseboard edge.
I have created a background shape file to explain where I think the baseboard joins are and the extent of the "off stage" fiddle yard.  I am assuming that the sector plate will pivot to join TR008 and provide a run round via the sector plate.
Tony - I would be most grateful for some help with the outside slip.  I have studied Martin's video but I think this refers to inside slips.  I really don't know how to start  :?
Revised box file attached.  bgs file in next message.  Is there a way of attaching 2 files to one post?
Regards,Simon
Attachment: attach_2060_2618_shunting_v5_flow_02_02_2133_07.box     289

posted: 2 Feb 2015 21:53

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

With bgs file attached.
Regards, Simon
Attachment: attach_2061_2618_shunting_v5_15_02_02_2132_25.bgs     255

posted: 3 Feb 2015 23:52

Tony W

Hi Simon.
I have down loaded your files, so leave it with me. It is only possible to attach one file to a message, so you need a separate posting for each attachment as you have done.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 4 Feb 2015 09:10

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Simon

Just a thought, would it increase the operational side and also give a reason for the sidings if the 2 short top ones go under the viaduct

John

posted: 10 Feb 2015 20:12

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

John,
Just back from holiday, thanks for your comments.  I am going to connect one of the short sidings (TR008) to the sector plate to allow for a run round off stage.
I think the other short siding (PL010) will disappear into an arch under the viaduct.  Not sure if I can get this to join the sector plate as well.  I am considering whether there is any rationale for an unloading platform extending alongside this siding and under the arch.  Clearly an industry in such a confined area would have to be inventive to unload wagons into the manufacturing buildings!  
The bgs file posted previously shows some of my thoughts on buildings.  Comments most welcome.
Simon 

posted: 10 Feb 2015 23:58

Tony W

Hi Simon.
After several abortive attempts I have found a solution that I think will work. The Diamond is so acute and space so tight that an outside slip is practically impossible to arrange with the tracks spaced as they are. I have gone for an seperate crossover combined with a Tandem which I think looks the part. If you are happy with this I can tidy things up for you, or you can have a go yourself. Let me know either way. I have left all the discarded templates in the Storeage box so you can see what I have attempted to do.
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2066_2618_shunting_v6_2015_02_10_2337_27.box     246

posted: 12 Feb 2015 15:01

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

Would this be better?

Regards

Alan
Attachment: attach_2069_2618_Micro.png     321

posted: 12 Feb 2015 18:59

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

Alan,
Many thanks for all your inputs.  I think I am being too ambition, both in trackplan and whether I can actually build it in a reasonable timescale.  If I remove one of the sidings, then the slip problem can be eliminated.  So I have spent some time attempting to simplify the plan.
I am attracted by the 3 way turnout which gives more flexibility in the sidings and I have changed from a sector plate to a traverser or cassettes.  I could not get the roads onto the sector plate to work without curves that were too tight.
The attached trackplan now has only a 3-way and standard turnout but should offer some operating potential.  One of the sidings will disappear under the viaduct.
Can I ask for some help with the 3-way turnout?  At the moment, I have just laid a V5 and V7 template over each other.  I believe that only certain combination of switch sizes actually work together.  Can these be made to work?
Regards,Simon
Attachment: attach_2070_2618_simp_shunting_2015_02_12_1803_02.box     221

posted: 12 Feb 2015 19:00

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

Plus updated bgs file
Attachment: attach_2071_2618_simp_shunting_15_02_12_1810_57.bgs     228

posted: 14 Feb 2015 00:09

Tony W

Hi Simon. It should be possible to get something not dissimilar to that to work. The two switch sets are a bit too close together at the moment which will prevent the switch blades of the second set from opening fully. What you have is properly called a Tandem Turnout as it is effectively two Turnouts in Tandem. The term 3 way is rather vague as it includes 3 throw Turnouts where the switch pairs overlap. They are best avoided if possible as they are tricky to build and can prove unreliable due to gauging problems when set for the middle road. I will have a go at it over the weekend.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 14 Feb 2015 09:49

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

Hi Tony,
I was looking at tandem turnouts on the forum and found this (message 17941).  It almost exactly represents what I think I need provided that the LH and RH turnouts are switched.  The 9 ft V5 LH turnout needs to be closest to the heel.
Regards,Simon
Attachment: attach_2073_2618_porth_dinllaen_engine_shed_version_4_tandem.box     215

posted: 16 Feb 2015 18:14

Tony W

Hi Simon.
Have a go at this. I have made a couple of slight amendments to the alignment of the Turnouts that make up the Crossover to allow full blade opening of the second pair of Switches in the Tandem, sorted out the timbering and the various rails. Things are not quite perfect with the third crossing but it should be buildable. I have posted the full box file with this one so you can see the various intermediate steps I took in creating the many partial templates needed. I will post the tidied up box file with the next posting.
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2075_2618_shunting_v5_2015_02_16_1757_04.box     203

posted: 16 Feb 2015 18:17

Tony W

Here is the tidied up box file with all the unused templates deleted, a much smaller file. Judging by the recent postings, you are not the only one struggling with Tandem Turnouts.
Wish you well with your project.
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2076_2618_shunting_v5_tidied_up.box     204

posted: 17 Feb 2015 15:26

Simon R

Reading - United Kingdom

Hi Tony,
Many thanks for your help.  I have spent hours going up a steep learning curve both on Templot and real track geometry.  Your patience and explanations have helped immensely.  Now all I have to do is build it!
Thanks again,
Simon

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Help with Micro Layout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020