topic: 2632Can I build this ?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Feb 2015 18:02

TPP

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I keep coming up with ideas for my model railway but when I come up with something simple I realise I just don't want that really - and If I was to do something simple why not just go Peco ?

I know what I really want but the whole thing is just frightning !

This is what I want - I have never built track before, can barely open and close Templot ( at the moment )

But I am not stupid - I am good with my hands - and I can be dedicated 

Here is the problem - I want to build something very like this ( but not an exact replica and shortened to fit my space ) - I have a room dedicated to this that is 16' long and 7 feet wide

Anyway - here it is ...

The original drawing
http://www.thepurpleprimer.co.uk/templot/ramsgate/ser_harbour_station_1872_rotated.jpg

048008b0.jpg048008b0.jpg

Ramsgate_Harbour_railway_station.jpgRamsgate_Harbour_railway_station.jpg

sands%20station%20ramsgate.jpgsands%20station%20ramsgate.jpg

otherway.pngotherway.png

I need it mirrored for my room's location though - like this ...

mirrorstation.jpgmirrorstation.jpg

Is this even remotely possible or should I put the whole thing out of my mind ?

posted: 11 Feb 2015 23:05

Nigel Brown

Fascinating! Certainly worth thinking about. I'd suggest start by working out what you want for your maximum length of train, which would tell you how much space you need for storage sidings (cassettes or a traverser might be worth thinking about to save space) and should also tell how long your platforms need to be. Add a bit for the turntable and add all that up and it should tell you how much space you have left for the station throat.

Nigel

posted: 12 Feb 2015 01:16

Nigel Brown

Came across this plan:
528_111958_290000000.jpg528_111958_290000000.jpg
If it's accurate then it's about 1520' long, or 20' in 4mm. So it would need a bit of reduction. If you operated it from the beach side then the carriage sidings might make access to the storage roads a bit awkward, but maybe OK. Looks like you could get width down to 3'6" or even less, with a bit of fiddling. The longest platform seems to be about 8' long so there's probably scope for reduction there. By the way, this plan is said to be wrong, in that all three central roads ought to converge on the turntable.

Of course if you built in 3mm/ft (my scale) you wouldn't have to reduce it at all :)
Nigel
Last edited on 12 Feb 2015 01:21 by Nigel Brown
posted: 12 Feb 2015 10:37

TPP

United Kingdom

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the Drawing - where did you manage to find that ?

I have found various photos that show slightly different treatments of the turntable area but none that  seem to show that all 3 lines don't go up to it.

The track plan seems to have changed a fair bit over the years from that original drawing - but I do have a photo that seems to show it was built like that originally.

Please don't tempt me into 3mm - it looks like a fantastic scale to work in.

Here is a picture showing the turntable - no idea of the date

turntable01.jpgturntable01.jpg

posted: 12 Feb 2015 13:28

Nigel Brown

I googled Ramsgate Harbour Station (which came up with a lot of stuff) but also Ramsgate Harbour Station map was suggested so googled that and it came up with this:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13496.0

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 13 Feb 2015 04:11

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

Hi TPP

I attach a .box file with my try at a possible track plan in P4.  It is about 14 feet long.The carriage sidings are not yet there but the approach to them is.  It is easy to mirror image it.

I hope this gives you something to use and change as you see fit

Regards, John
Attachment: attach_2072_2632_Ramsgate_Harbour.box     323

posted: 13 Feb 2015 13:05

TPP

United Kingdom

Hi John

Many thanks for that - it looks like you have done a lot of the hard work.

I realise you have not finished it but can I ask about your rendition of catch points where the tracks enter turntable

I dont quite know what the situation with these was as I think this may have been changed from the original drawing

Thanks again

posted: 15 Feb 2015 14:20

sp1

United Kingdom

I think CJ Freezer also did a plan for this in one of his 'Track Plans' books - not sure how helpful this would be!

posted: 15 Feb 2015 15:28

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

I have added the carriage sidings and made a mirror image for your perusal.  I note your space is 16 feet long,  As drawn this track configuration is almost 15 feet long - so no room for a fiddle yard.  The only way to shorten is to further reduce the length of the station tracks.

This is drawn in P4, if you wish to build in EM or OO the configuration has to be changed to eliminate the double slips and use ordinary turnouts instead, as the double slips cannot be built in those gauges.

I have made a drawing of an OO double slip in the middle of the configurations to show the K crossing check rails impinge badly into the slip roads.  The check rails cannot be shortened enough to make it work.

In looking at the picture of the turntable, I believe I see a switch and a buffer stop, and that is what I have drawn.

Regards John
Attachment: attach_2074_2632_Ramsgate_Harbour.box     325
Last edited on 15 Feb 2015 15:34 by John Preston
posted: 15 Feb 2015 18:49

Nigel Brown

Looking at the plan, I wondered how on earth this station was operated. Were there arrival and departure platforms? My guess is that the platforms with easy access to the carriage sidings were used for either, whereas the platforms nearest the goods yard were only used for occasional departures, and maybe shunting the goods yard.

There's also the question of how the goods yard was approached. Would incoming good trains have reversed back over the approach crossover and then edged forwards into one of the platforms on that side?

One way of adding storage sidings would be to move the approach crossover to be nearer the platforms, and stick the storage sidings in the "tunnel" level with the carriage sidings.

posted: 16 Feb 2015 11:45

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

There was a facing crossover in the tunnel (!). Not sure if this was added later, when the carriage sidings were expanded. Perfectly feasible to olerate the station on the basis of beach side platform for arrivals and as a headshunt for the carriage sidings, and cliffside only for departures. Thefe are diagrammes on the web: I may have some links at home, but a Google image search for Ramsgate lcdr will turn up plenty.

The access pointwork to the carriage sidings also became more flexible (or omplicated!)

Off-peak trajns probably used the platform with the station building, simply running round with the coaches left where they were. During busy periods, it probably got rather busy.

posted: 16 Feb 2015 15:39

TPP

United Kingdom

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies and thanks John for the mirrored version - now I can visualize it properly.

A friend of mine who understand trackwork much better than me has been helping me with this plan and has been making some interesting comments. I am getting nearer to making some decisions on a version and if it should be mirrored or not.

He designed how own ( extensive ) layout in Templot and has now loaded up Templot 2.

I will keep you updated.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Can I build this ?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020