author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Feb 2015 22:46

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello,

Does anybody know a source of laser cut 1.6mm thick sleepers and turnout timbers for 7mm scale ? C&L used to do them but now only offer them in 3.2mm thickness.

Thanks
Rob

posted: 15 Feb 2015 23:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

Slaters list plywood sleepers for 7mm scale, but don't say the thickness -- worth a call?

http://slatersplastikard.com/accessories/sleepers.php

Martin.

posted: 15 Feb 2015 23:18

Martin Wynne

p.s. Rob,

The Slater's 7mm track-building book says timbers are cut from 1/16" marine ply suitable for outdoor use.

1/16" = 1.6mm.

To suit their expensive turned brass rivets, so I doubt they have changed the thickness over the years.

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2015 00:10

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the reminder about Slater's. I had forgotten all about their long established range of track materials. Thinking back I seem to remember the sleepers and timbers may have been sawn rather than laser cut - hardly surprising given how long they have been available. I will check them out..

I have also emailed Timber Tracks in Bristol who I think you know. They list sleepers and timbers in 3mm thickness so who knows.

Not sure I can see the point (!) of using 3mm ply for the timbers on small layouts that are often ballasted nearly to the top of the wood - it just need more material.

Thanks again.
Rob

posted: 16 Feb 2015 00:21

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Not sure I can see the point (!) of using 3mm ply for the timbers on small layouts that are often ballasted nearly to the top of the wood - it just need more material.
Hi Rob,

I think the idea is to match the height of Peco and C&L flexi-track, and C&L plastic timbering.

Several firms now offer bespoke laser cutting of plywood parts, so if you want a lot it may be worth asking. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2015 00:32

Rob Manchester

Martin,

I started staining 1.6mm thick timbers for a layout a week or two back and was counting up how many packs I would need to order to complete the build. Then I realised I couldn't get any more.

I take your point about matching the height with other available systems.

I must post a small issue I found with adjusting wing and check rails on Templot. I will check it out again before I do - it wasn't a major thing so don't burn the midnight oil thinking what it can be just yet.

Good night and thanks.

Rob

posted: 16 Feb 2015 17:03

Rob Manchester

Martin,

Brian Lewis at Timber Tracks has just let me know they are happy to cut 7mm sleepers and crossing timbers from thin ply. They aren't listed but if the 3mm version is ordered and a note added to the order they can be cut from the thinner material in 2-3 days.

Thanks Brian and thanks to  Martin for the input.

Rob

P.S. A nice lady at Slater's tells me theirs are 1/16th inch thick and are sawn but the edges are smooth so may have also been suitable.

posted: 20 Feb 2015 13:08

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi,

That's useful to know for the future. Fortunately I think I have enough 1.6mm to hand for the current project.

posted: 17 May 2015 08:16

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Rob

Sorry system will not let me send a PM, the club I belong to may have some surplus 7 mm Exactoscale sleepers and timbers, are you still interested, if so I can ask the question if they are available

posted: 18 May 2015 14:03

Rob Manchester

Hi John,

Thanks for the offer but I am OK for timbers etc at present. I am currently sorting through my stocks of lots of things to thin down a bit - too many projects that won't get built - which may be familiar to many of us !

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 7mm scale 1.6mm Wooden Sleepers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020