topic: 2640Moving timbers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Feb 2015 23:02

mikedt

Isle Of Man - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am in the process of moving timbers (for the first time) and note that when they are moved the outline of the timber in its original position remains, is it possible to remove this "ghost"?
Also when I use the crab left/right key to move the timbers the readout in the "centre" box does not change. However when  I use "shove timbers by mouse" the centre value does change. I suppose the answer to this is to use the mouse but the different results from what appear to be the same actions does lead to confusion when you are a beginner. Can anyone enlighten me?
Mike 

posted: 25 Feb 2015 23:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
mikedt wrote:
when I use the crab left/right key to move the timbers the readout in the "centre" box does not change.
Hi Mike,

Welcome to Templot Club.  :)

Yes, that's correct. "Crabbing" a timber moves it sideways relative to its twisted position, its nominal position along the centre-line of the track does not change. The amount of crab movement appears in a separate box, and the centre dimension does not change.

If you first twist a timber and then try the crab and along (forward/backward) functions on it, you will see the difference between them. Here's a timber which has been twisted and then crabbed without moving it along -- you can see that it wouldn't be meaningful to change its centre dimension showing:

2_251828_440000000.png2_251828_440000000.png

If a timber has not been twisted there is no reason to crab it -- use the along mouse action or the forward/backward buttons instead.

If you play with all the timber-shoving functions you will soon see how they work.

I am in the process of moving timbers (for the first time) and note that when they are moved the outline of the timber in its original position remains, is it possible to remove this "ghost"?
This must mean that you have stored a background template below the control template which you are working on. Assuming that you don't need it, simply delete it. You can click straight through the control template onto it, and then click delete on its menu which appears.

Beginners often create unwanted or duplicate background templates, I have never been too sure how it happens. If you look through Templot Club topics you will find several references to this. Don't store a template until you have finished making changes to it, don't store it more than once, and don't store it yourself if you are about to use one of the "make" functions, because Templot will store it for you in that case.

regards,

Martin.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020