author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Mar 2015 23:04

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

Does anybody have a nice small gear / wheel puller tool that works well ? I have a NWSL one ( #45-4) that gets a lots of use and is fine but I have a use for a smaller one.

I need it to increase the gauge of HO loco wheelsets fitted to mainly steam locos preferably without taking the whole chassis apart. Some european makers must have very bad QC as the B-Back measurements can be anywhere in the range of 14.0 to 14.5mm and 14.3 is about the minimum for use on HO-SF trackwork. I just need to be able to tweak the wheels out a little on the axles and luckily many of them have splined axle ends so moving the wheels out a tad shouldn't cause a problem with them becoming loose.

There are a few listed on Amazon but a) it is difficult to know how big some of them are and b) some of the reviews are poor.

Thanks
Rob

posted: 24 Apr 2015 23:20

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

Have you looked at the ones that George Watts (GW Models) offers ? - he used to advertise in MRJ.

I have the adjustable wheel puller and my only comment is that it is advisable to use it with a backing disc if pulling off plastic centered wheels, to spread the load, but that is more of a criticism of plastic centered wheels than the wheel puller!

I also have one of his wheel quartering presses which is excellent.

best wishes

Richard 

posted: 24 Apr 2015 23:37

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe nobody had seen the posting......

I have a GW wheel quartering press and it is very well thought out. It is invaluable for the Gibson drivers.

I haven't seen the puller though and there isn't a website but from some pictures I can find on the web the puller looks quite small, like it maybe would only work for wheels upto about 14mm diameter. Is there also a bigger version made by George ? Some of the wheels I need to twaek out on the axles are upto 21mm in diameter ( 6' steam drivers in HO scale ).

Enjoy your weekend whatever you are up to.

Rob

posted: 25 Apr 2015 09:53

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

Here's a quick photo of the one I have - it looks as though you can move the "arms" out to the wider hole spacing for bigger wheels, though I was using it on 17mm dia. quite happily at the smaller setting.

cheers

Richard

ps. not been "dipping into" the Templot Forum quite as frequently as before - bit of a hiatus here as I have finished all the pointwork for Singleton and can't do much more till I have made the baseboards, which requires me to clear the garage.......1763_250452_090000000.jpg1763_250452_090000000.jpg

posted: 4 May 2015 01:31

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Hello Rob and Richard

Yes I also have both these tools from George Watts and I don't know what I'd do without them. I've certainly used the puller on wheels up 6'8" in 4mm (26 ish mm) so your 21mm wheels are well within its capacity.

Kind regards

Andrew

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Gear / Wheel puller for 3.5/4mm scale
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020