author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Mar 2015 21:32

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

What brand of timber stain is suitable for use in a domestic situation. I just used Colron Wood Dye and the wife is standing at the bottom of the stairs coughing and complaining. I didn't think the smell was that bad ! Any suggestions for water based ones that don't smell and still allow a good chair bond using Butanone ?

I also now have brown fingers so easier human clean-up would be good too. Latex gloves are so restricting, heaven knows how surgeons carry out critical operations using them.

TIA
Rob

posted: 22 Mar 2015 21:47

Nigel Brown

A personal view; to me stained timbers don't look like real ones. Reckon acrylics are better, and more adaptable to what you think you see.

Nigel

posted: 22 Mar 2015 21:52

Thor Lawrence

Reykjavik - Iceland

Does soaking in strong cold tea no longer work?

posted: 22 Mar 2015 22:49

Rob Manchester

Nigel - are you suggesting painting the timbers after trackbuilding ? Model timbers don't always look like wood as the grain, so apparent on the 1:1 railway, is somewhat different. If you are painting track after construction it would be better to use plastic timbers and benefit from easier bonding of the chairs - maybe you don't agree ?

Thor - What is a suitable soaking time ?  Does it matter if the tea is PG Tips or Tyhoo - only joking, you may have other brands where you are.

Rob

posted: 23 Mar 2015 01:21

Nigel Brown

Rob Manchester wrote:
Nigel - are you suggesting painting the timbers after trackbuilding ? Model timbers don't always look like wood as the grain, so apparent on the 1:1 railway, is somewhat different. If you are painting track after construction it would be better to use plastic timbers and benefit from easier bonding of the chairs - maybe you don't agree ?

Thor - What is a suitable soaking time ?  Does it matter if the tea is PG Tips or Tyhoo - only joking, you may have other brands where you are.

Rob

Rob,

As you may have guessed, I use plastic sleepers and timbers, painted with an acrylic mixture which to my eyes looks right for the purpose. And yes, the bonding is pretty secure. But if you're using timbers I was thinking that maybe acrylics would still work OK.

Nigel

posted: 23 Mar 2015 09:23

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Rob

I coloured my timbers after sticking in place on the trackplan - my track was built in situ.  I diluted Humbrol paints with white spirit - a mix of black and brown.  The dilute paint is simply applied by brush.  It soaks into ply timbers very well and retains something of the grain.  I had no problems with sticking Exactoscale chairs in place with Plasticweld solvent.

Regards.

Bill Campbell

posted: 23 Mar 2015 11:35

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

I use Colron in a butter tub, I put the sleepers in it pour in some Colron and put the lid on and give it a shake periodically and also leave it for 24hrs. I then pour the excess into another tub of sleepers. The soaked timbers are tipped onto a sheet or two of news paper and left out doors for an hour or so to dry.

posted: 23 Mar 2015 13:22

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Rob

I use diluted Coloron and paint un-cut strips, I find neat dye too strong. Do a few at a time smell is not too bad
Last edited on 23 Mar 2015 13:23 by Hayfield
posted: 23 Mar 2015 23:25

Andrew Fendick

Andover - United Kingdom

Rob,
I spray paint the whole track before fixing it down, using Precision Sleeper Grime colour round the station area fading to Wheathered Sleeper colour outside the station area. I then hand paint the rail with a rusty colour.
There are a couple of pics on the High Offley RM thread. High Offley msg #16

posted: 24 Mar 2015 00:22

Rob Manchester

Andrew Fendick wrote:
Rob,
I spray paint the whole track before fixing it down, using Precision Sleeper Grime colour round the station area fading to Wheathered Sleeper colour outside the station area. I then hand paint the rail with a rusty colour.
There are a couple of pics on the High Offley RM thread. High Offley msg #16
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply. I like your suggestion. The pics on the RM forum look good. I am making some test panels of track to try several methods.

Thanks to everybody else for the replies too.

Rob

posted: 24 Mar 2015 00:55

Nigel Brown

Here's a snap I took some time ago, after most of the track was laid and ballasted but very little else done.  3mm/ft 14.2mm gauge finescale. Plastruct sleepers, plastic chairs from Ian Osborne, code 60 BH rail, blended Woodland Scenics ballast, sleepers and rail painted with acrylic blends.

Nigel
Attachment: attach_2094_2655_m348b.jpg     208
Last edited on 24 Mar 2015 00:57 by Nigel Brown
posted: 24 Mar 2015 01:07

Rob Manchester

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for posting the picture. Very nice the track looks too. It is good to see some work in a scale/gauge not seen too often.

Rob

posted: 26 Mar 2015 14:28

madscientist

Nice track work.

Personally, I find pre-colouring sleepers somewhat fake and the prototype never had the consistency of colour. I'm build test sections at the moment and I think on balance spraying afterwards and then weathering is best. I always find ( certainly on my prototypes in Ireland where BH and wooden sleepers were used up till very recently ) that sleepers outside heavily used yards etc where often bleached quite white and the consistent darker colours look to " new " track look.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Timber Staining
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020