Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2668Turnout operating units
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Apr 2015 20:10

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I came across a nice demonstration of turnout building , where the switch blade activation was done by bringing a pin, soldered to the blade , and then run through a slot in the slide chair to a a connector strip immediately underneath the sleeper .

Haven't seen this before, but looked very neat and had the advantage that the hole in the baseboard is under a sleeper as hence hidden and no ballast etc can fall down

Has any one seen this used in earnest , this particular example was a demonstration unit rathe then installed on a layout

Dave

posted: 12 Apr 2015 18:03

madscientist

97 views and no comments !!

posted: 12 Apr 2015 18:09

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:
Which suggests no-one has seen it. :)

How about a link or a picture?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Apr 2015 18:59

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
Which suggests no-one has seen it. :)

How about a link or a picture?

regards,

Martin.
Hello,
        I would like to see it Dave.I think Iain Rice may have used a similar scheme where each blade connected to a switch operating device under the base board.
An Approach to Building Finescale Track in 4mm by Iain Rice (ISBN: 9781874103004)
Regards,
Trevor.

posted: 12 Apr 2015 23:59

madscientist

I'll try and find the picture again. Standby

posted: 13 Apr 2015 00:10

madscientist

Pictures from the rmweb thread
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-20336-0-03224800-1393441102.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-20336-0-69249500-1393441138.jpg

posted: 14 Apr 2015 07:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

One of the better methods I have seen, I still think the way Lime Street have worked theirs is the most deceiving on the eye in 4 mm scale though. Which depends as much on painting and weathering as being prototypical

posted: 14 Apr 2015 10:15

madscientist

Have u a link to that method

What Iike about the method I linked , is that all holes are under the sleeper

posted: 14 Apr 2015 14:04

John Palmer

What I like about the drive arrangement shown in this thread is the absence of any bending moment applied to the drive.  What I like less is the lost motion liable to be imparted by the use of what appears to be an undersized hinge pin, as shown in the accompanying doctored image:2129_140850_300000000.jpg2129_140850_300000000.jpg

Unless the movement imparted to the under-board drive stretcher is such as to bed each switch firmly against against its respective stock rail when the switch is thrown, there will be potential for the switch tongues to 'flap about' due to this lost motion.  If this is 4mm: 1' trackwork, I would estimate that the lost motion on each pin is of the order of .3mm.

Whilst I have reservations about Howard Bolton's method of connecting switches by means of a functional scale stretcher and using this to drive the switch, I do favour his method of eliminating such lost motion  by precise setting of the throw imparted by the crank used to move the stretcher.

posted: 14 Apr 2015 14:33

madscientist

my own idea, was to immediately underneath the sleeper, attach the pin to a sliding delrin, pseudo sleeper, shorter and narrower then the real sleeper above.

This pseudo sleeper, prevents the switch blade from rising, and also allows the soldered hinge pin to pivot. I wasn't going to use a hinge tube.

The drive from the point motor would then be collected to the delrin "sleeper"

The main issue I have is that a hinge pin failure might need the removal of the turnout. but I suspect this is an unlikely failure mode

posted: 16 Apr 2015 11:08

madscientist

I'll add a sketch later it give people a better idea. I'd be intetested in comments

Dave

posted: 21 Apr 2015 16:45

madscientist

this is the idea, a delrin piece fixed under the sleeper, slight narrower then the sleeper and connected to the switch rail via a pin soldered to the rail

I see no issues with lost motion , as the system should be slightly able to over drive the pins/tube to provide compensation
any comments
Attachment: attach_2113_2668_Screenshot_2015-04-21_16.43.11.png     698
Last edited on 21 Apr 2015 16:49 by madscientist
posted: 15 May 2015 11:41

Templotter

Peterborough - United Kingdom

Haven't seen sleepers with patches of (tinned?) cladding like these.

3036_150722_350000000.jpg3036_150722_350000000.jpg

Anyone know what they are please?

Don
Last edited on 15 May 2015 12:23 by Templotter
posted: 15 May 2015 12:00

Martin Wynne

Templotter wrote:
Haven't seen sleepers with patches of (tinned?) cladding like these.

Anyone know what they are please?
Hi Don,

See:

http://www.dccconcepts.com/track-trackmaking-parts/dccconcepts-track-and-trackmaking-parts/4mm-scale-pre-etched-sleepers-80-x-1-6-x-32

And explanations here:

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28398

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 May 2015 12:34

Templotter

Peterborough - United Kingdom

Thanks very much Martin for that.

Verry interesting. Will need to see if they (have any plans to) do 7mm.

Don

posted: 21 Apr 2016 07:44

Ewerthon_Mota

São Paulo - Brazil

Don´t want to change the subject, but what material is this rail? The color is beautiful! It´s Nickel Silver? Or maybe it´s the light/outdoor? For me its the most realistic rail photo ever... :cool:

posted: 21 Apr 2016 09:55

Martin Wynne

Ewerthon_Mota wrote:
Don´t want to change the subject, but what material is this rail? The color is beautiful! It´s Nickel Silver? Or maybe it´s the light/outdoor? For me its the most realistic rail photo ever... :cool:
Hi Ewerthon,

It is probably the stainless steel bullhead rail available from DCC Concepts, see:

http://www.dccconcepts.com/track-trackmaking-parts/dccconcepts-track-and-trackmaking-parts/rail-bullhead-4mm-scale-stainless-steel-l-960mm-10-pack

The problem with stainless steel is that it is difficult to solder, needing an aggressive acid flux and higher temperatures. Which must then be cleaned off to avoid future corrosion. This is especially necessary with electrical connections.

In fact any form of acid flux is generally regarded as unsuitable for electrical work. Which means that for stainless steel electrical connections should normally be made mechanically by crimping, rivetting, clipping, etc.

Alternatively, C&L can supply "Hi-Ni" nickel-silver rail which has a whiter colour than ordinary nickel-silver rail because of the higher Nickel content.

And ordinary grey mild steel bullhead rail is available from several suppliers, which can look very good if kept clean. But it's liable to rusting in unheated conditions such as a garden shed, coastal atmospheres, etc.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Turnout operating units
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020