topic: 2689Diamond Crossing
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 May 2015 14:46

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi New to Templot so bear with me, I wish to build a diamond crossing, I don't know how to set the radius of each track , it is crossing on a radius and is on a radius, i guess its a curved form.
Alan

posted: 19 May 2015 15:18

dave turner

United Kingdom

Alan

Create two plain tracks - then delete one to the control - mouse click the other track - Peg Align Tools - Make Diamond Crossing at intersection.

If neither track is a transition curve and they aren't at too great an angle to each other then Templot will create your diamond.

If one or both are transition curves then goto help - watch a video - Scruff video Andrew transition diamond to watch Martin's instructions.

posted: 19 May 2015 16:15

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Hi
Just watched the video, lost after 2 mins, I kind a need a diamond a bit like it starts but at the end it don't show how to curve the rails to look like the start of the video.

Alan

posted: 19 May 2015 16:19

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Alan,

If you are new to Templot try some basic plans and get used to how the program works before trying to move on to more tricky formations. The video you watched is good provided you have a grasp of Templot's way of working.

Rob

posted: 19 May 2015 17:04

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Alan Whitaker wrote:
Hi
Just watched the video, lost after 2 mins, I kind a need a diamond a bit like it starts but at the end it don't show how to curve the rails to look like the start of the video.

Alan
Hi been making SMP points since the 70s but Templot is something I don't know if I will grasp, won't stop trying to master it,Have been using now for a few weeks, so may get it in the end, I am trying to make a diamond as in the file, I have a turnout I want to change but don't know  to change it 's position and it's hand, it changes the whole track not just the turnout.
Attachment: attach_2127_2689_Alan_Template_1.box     245

posted: 19 May 2015 17:37

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

To make the diamond-crossing, 1. click on the blue background template:

2_191225_460000000.png2_191225_460000000.png

2. The menu on the left appears. 3. Click peg/align tools, then make diamond-crossing at intersection.

The video was intended for transition curves only. You don't have transition curves there, so you don't need all that complication. Just click the menu item as above.

To change the hand of a turnout without changing the alignment, click invert handing on the template menu. to make it face the other way, click swap facing-trailing on the same menu.

I see that you have set the gauge to 00/H0. That's not really intended for handbuilt track, unless you want to match Peco turnouts with the wide flangeways and bumpy running. Most 00 trackbuilders use 00-BF or 00-SF, according to which rolling stock you will be running. There is a lot more discussion about this on RMweb.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 May 2015 18:17

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
Thanks for that, I tried it but is says I have a slew so not doing it

Alan

posted: 19 May 2015 18:23

Martin Wynne

Hi Alan,

There was no slewing in the .box file which you uploaded. :?

Click the geometry > slew (nudge) > cancel slew menu item, then try again.

Templot can't create a diamond-crossing in slewed tracks, it would need a lot of partial templates as in the transition video.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 May 2015 18:57

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Alan,

There was no slewing in the .box file which you uploaded. :?

Click the geometry > slew (nudge) > cancel slew menu item, then try again.

Templot can't create a diamond-crossing in slewed tracks, it would need a lot of partial templates as in the transition video.

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,Well this time I get, Function not available as one or both templates contain a transition zone.This is how i have it now, its on a loop
Alan
Attachment: attach_2128_2689_Alan_Template3.box     237

posted: 19 May 2015 19:15

Martin Wynne

Hi Alan,

That file contained a slew, not a transition. :?

I removed the slew, but the intersection angle was too acute to create a normal diamond-crossing. I eased the radius to get above the 1:1.5 limit. This still needs some timber shoving. Here's the file.

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2129_2689_alan_2015_05_19_1909_48.box     254

posted: 19 May 2015 19:57

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Hi Martin.
Must try harder, I have a plan but it will take some time to get my head around the workings of the programme. I am trying to fit this in a 30" radius loop with the fiddle yard and a up and down line intersecting the loop as well.

Thanks

Alan

posted: 19 May 2015 21:52

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Hi AllI have just been playing with the programme and this is what I would like to do so I can print off it. it's just made up is but it's a start
Alan 
Attachment: attach_2130_2689_Alan_Template5.box     259

posted: 23 May 2015 08:37

Alan Whitaker

Leeds - United Kingdom

Hi AllJust been looking at this, minimum rails used, what kind of diamond is this.
Alan
Attachment: attach_2137_2689_Diamond_(2).jpg     419

posted: 23 May 2015 12:45

Martin Wynne

Hi Alan,

It's an ordinary straight regular diamond-crossing. The check rails are not very prominent in the picture because they are rusty. The wider rails at the side of the track are conductor rails for electric trains.

A "regular" diamond-crossing means that all 4 crossings (2 V-crossings and 2 K-crossings) have the same angle.

To make one of these in Templot, start with a straight turnout and click the tools > make diamond-crossing menu item.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Diamond Crossing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020