topic: 2725Track building video
author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Jul 2015 00:04

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I came across this on RMWeb and thought someone on here might find it interesting. Video showing British modellers building track seem a bit thin on the ground when compared to our friends in the USA.

Regards.
Trevor.

posted: 24 Jul 2015 08:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

What make of components are used in this video please

posted: 24 Jul 2015 09:10

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Hayfield wrote:
What make of components are used in this video please
It looks like Cliff Barker's track.

http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/Gauge1FineandStandardTrack.html

He does parts for Gauge 1, Gauge 3 and 16mm scale narrow gauge.  They are very good.   I got a sample yard of his G3 track parts recently to have a look at the scale and the combined sleeper/chair mouldings looked good and the track went together very easily.   He also does gauge widened sleeper/chair units for the relatively sharper radii found in the larger scales.

I've decided to go for the smaller 1:32 scale (accurate G1 :D ) and I'm intending experimenting with his sleeper/chair units to build Caledonian interlaced turnouts.  I suspect that I might have to resort to battens to hold things together - maybe using something like 1mm thick styrene strip.

Jim.

PS One yard of G3 track for sale. :D :D :D

posted: 24 Jul 2015 09:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jim has an interesting topic on his large-scale venture on Western Thunder forum at:

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/a-venture-into-the-garden.4597/

Jim Guthrie wrote:
I've decided to go for the smaller 1:32 scale (accurate G1 :D )
I have added this to the Templot pre-sets. I have given it the name P-32 in line with the existing convention (as P-87, P-48, etc. The S prefix is used for scales in mm/ft as S2, S4, S7, etc.). As always when adding a new gauge pre-set the biggest problem is knowing what to call it, because after folks have created files using it, changing the name later would cause lots of problems.

I have set the default spacing at 106.36mm, but I would expect users to widen it on sharp curves. 106.36mm is the correct scale spacing to correspond to 6ft way on the prototype at 1:32 (11ft-2in centres). The gauge should be 44.85mm but I have not changed it to that from 45mm. I'm not sure how "pure" the large-scale community likes to be? :)

I have set the default radius warning at 2500mm. Again I don't know if that is a sensible figure. Users can easily change it or ignore it of course.

2_240442_380000000.png2_240442_380000000.png

In the next program update.

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Track building video
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020