author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Jul 2015 13:48

TrevorTeale

Warnbro - Australia

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

this is probably a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway.

I currently have some of a layout planned using 3rd planit and have arrived at a point where I am going to need to do some complicated track work that only templot will be able to manage. It will be three Y turnouts parallel to each other with diamond crossings on the ends of them crossing over each other and on a curve also, just to make it more interesting.

My question is - can I import some the plan from 3rd planit into templot as this will mean I do not have to work out all my dimensions again. I am lead to believe that templot data can be inported into 3rd planit which will allow me to see if my plan works or not.

I like the flexibility that templot provides and I know a few people who have used it to great success and I look forward to using it to solve my problems.

Many thanks in advance

Trevor

posted: 29 Jul 2015 18:38

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Trevor,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

It is not possible to import 3rd PlanIt data directly as actual track objects in Templot.

What you can do is to import your track plan from 3PI as a background in Templot which you can then use as a guide for your Templot track design.

There are 2 ways to do that.

1. Use an image file from 3PI as a background picture shape. This is easy to do, but it will become blocky and pixellated as you zoom in over it. First export a bitmap image of the required area from 3PI:

2_291302_320000000.png2_291302_320000000.png 
For the above image I set a width of 3000 pixels, it is also necessary to tick the lock aspect ratio box.

Then import the image into Templot as a background picture shape. Here I have quickly aligned a 9ft-5 turnout over part of the above image:

2_291322_310000000.png2_291322_310000000.png

But as you can see, zooming-in causes it to become blocky. This can make it tricky to create an exact match:

2_291324_050000000.png2_291324_050000000.png

2. Alternatively you can export a DXF file from 3PI and import this into Templot. This allows you to zoom in over it without losing precision, and link Templot track to individual DXF entities.

So a question: are you running a 64-bit version of 3rd PlanIt, or a 32-bit version?

The reason for asking is that the DXF export is available only in the 32-bit version (for reasons I don't understand). There is a note about this on Randy's customer page. He doesn't want the URL published, so here I have copied the relevant section from that page:

32-bit-only installation to support AutoCAD import/export on 64-bit Windows
The AutoCAD import/export subsystem is only available in 32-bit mode. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows and need this feature, please install this 32-bit version of 3rd PlanIt. If you already have the 64-bit version of 3rd PlanIt installed on your system, please uninstall it prior to installing the 32-bit version.

Download 3rd PlanIt Version 10.08.005 32-bit Complete (126 Mb)  28 Jul 15  This download contains the program, textures, support files, examples and object libraries. If you are running a version prior to v9, please uninstall it first. The User Manual is included with the download.

Download 3rd PlanIt Version 10.08.005 32-bit Update (17.4 Mb)  28 Jul 15  If you have already installed version 9 or 10 on your computer, you can update 3rd PlanIt with this download.

If you are running Windows 2000, you must use version 10.02.011, below.

Prior Version

Download 3rd PlanIt Version 10.07.001 32-bit Complete (73.1 Mb)  31 Jan 15  This download contains the program, textures, support files, examples and object libraries. If you are running a version prior to v9, please uninstall it first. The User Manual is included with the download.

I will write again with more about the DXF option. In the meantime you may like this topic: :)

topic 2297 - message 15298

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Jul 2015 12:37

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Trevor,

I have resurrected this 10-year-old page which may be of interest:

http://templot.com/martweb/3pi_overlay/3pi_to_templot.htm

If you can post a screenshot from 3PI showing what you are trying to achieve it will be easier to advise.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Jul 2015 14:27

TrevorTeale

Warnbro - Australia

Martin, thankyou so much for the quick response to my query. I will have a go and see if I can work it all out.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Import from 3rd PlanIt
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020